This home was built as a simple, understated structure, asymmetrical facade with gable end to the street and entrance without the lavish adornment of other Queen Anne style homes in the neighborhood. The house style would be classified as Greek Revival vernacular. Clapboard siding under the current vinyl of the late 20th century.
The land on Pine Street to Summer St. was once owned by Timothy Foster and two parcels were sold to Joseph W. Foster for $1200. on March 28, 1873. The second parcel of 23 acres was purchased by Maurice Collins from Joseph W. Foster on April 22, 1881 for $2500. The parcel included both sides of what would become Pine Street in 1900-1902. It also was part of the small AVIS Collins Reservation. Maurice and wife Mary Collins built the house at the corner of the lane that is now Pine Street. They began selling parcels of the farm to family members to build homes of their own. [Mary Collins Welch purchased the lot next door, west of Collins house, on Summer St. in June 1898. John A. & Harriett Collins got one lot in Nov. 1900 and 2 more lots on Pine St. in 1903. Catherine J. Carter purchased her lot on Pine St. on March 1903. Michael J. Collins Jr. had a lot on Pine St. in June 1909.] In 1911 Maurice transferred the remaining farm property to his wife Mary Collins. After her death in 1919 the home lot was sold to Daniel F. Murray in Sept. 1919. The Murry family, Daniel & wife Agnes, held the property for 29 years selling to Cornelius H. & Mary T. Deacon of Brockton, MA on Sept. 6, 1949. The Deacon family owned the home for nearly 60 years.
In 2008 the property was sold to Five Star Inter Vivos Trust - Charles A. & Susan S. Papalia, trustees. The Trust name was changed in 2012 to Five Star Investment Trust.
A barn was once on the property to the north of the house. It was moved to this location from 5 Punchard Ave., the former barn of the blacksmith, James H. Cochran.
It has been noted that the barn may have been moved again to be converted into a home on Pine St.
Paid 10 Dec 1993, 16 Dec 1993 to Deborah
Christmas present of his parents
Once land of Timothy Foster and the second parcel of land containing 23 acres to Timothy C. Foster, later to Joseph W. Foster.
Timothy Foster - land
Thomas C. Foster - Dec. 15, 1838 - b. 310 lf. 24 Salem deeds. land two parcels
Joseph W. Foster - Mar. 28, 1873 - b. 21 p. 157 2nd parcel of 23 acres
Maurice Collins - Apr. 22, 1881 - b. 63 p. 208 23 acres
Mary Collins - Dec. 8, 1911 - b. 312 p. 98
Collins Estate, Annie Peet extrx. 1919
Daniel F. Murray - Sept. 27, 1919 - b. 408 p. 128
Rosamond A. Murry - July 11, 1944 - b. 665 p. 178
Daniel F. & Agnes B. Murray - July 11, 1944 - b. 665 p. 179
Cornelius H. & Mary T. Deacon - Sept. 6, 1949 b. 727 p. 19
Five Star Inter Vivos Trust - October 30, 2008 -
Charles A. & Susan S. Papalia trustees
Five Star Investment Trust - May 10, 2012 - b. 12936 p. 84.
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Essex Registry of Deeds, Salem, MA
Andover Building Survey
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Collins Farm or The Deacon House|
|Construction Date||circa 1882|
|Source||Collins family - NERD|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone and concrete|
|Wall/Trim||vinyl clapboards & trim|
|Map and parcel||21-112|
|Recorded by||Margaret Roberts/Barbara Thibault|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|