The property deed reference in 1890 states,"premises owned and occupied by Joseph Midgely, lately deceased.." Joseph Midgely was baptized at Christ Church on Aug. 17, 1845, son of James and Hannah Midgely. He lived on Cuba St. from 1874 until his death on Oct. 7, 1890. He enlisted in the Civil War, was recalled by his father as he was under age, then joined again and was on board the "Hartford" under Admiral Farragut at the battle of Mobile. Joseph never married, became a carpenter, learning his trade under George S. Cole, later to become Hardy & Cole. Joseph owned house lots at 60 and 64 Red Spring Rd. but this lot is not found in deeds under his name. Joseph died at age 45 and is interred at Christ Church Cemetery. His Heirs, nieces and nephews inherited his estate and sell the lot with buildings to Daniel Collins for $1155. on Dec. 1, 1890.
Daniel Collins then sells to Daniel Hart on Jan. 13, 1891. Daniel Hart built the four apartment building now known as the Hart Building in 1907. AT June 28, 1907 – p. 1 Daniel Hart is to build a double tenement house on a lot of land north of his house on Cuba Street.
Daniel and wife Mary C. Hart transferred ownership to Mary in 1907. In 1919 the property was divided between brothers John J. and Cornelius J. Hart. Cornelius and his wife Catherine Elizabeth owned the Hart Block in 1931 and it remained with the family until 1953.
Don B. & Helen M. Law purchased from Hart in October 1953 and held ownership for six years. They then sold to Phillis J. Ponty, wife of Howard D. Ponty on Dec. 18, 1959. The Ponty family owned for 44 years. Kevin J. Barry purchased the property in Jan. 2003 and continues as owner under the K.J.B. 6-10 Cuba Street, LLC.
In May1962 Catherine Hart sold the one acre parcel of property to John F. & Lorraine M. Lynch. on the north side of the Hart Block. Lynch sold to John L. Chapman, of North Andover, trustee of the Chapman Realty Co. in Aug. 1969. Chapman built the two Cape style homes in 1972.
The Hart Block has been home to many families who worked in the three major mills in the Andover Village Industrial National Register Historic District; Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co., Marland - J. P. Stevens Co. and the Tyer Rubber Co.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
Map #6480 - ENRDL
A.V.I.D Walking Tour Brochure
Hannah Shattuck, wife of Samuel - 1840's - died Sept. 16, 1847
Daniel Abbott - April 12, 1847 - b. 382 leaf 39 deed by mortgage, Salem deeds
James Midgely - Apr. 19, 1870 - b. 3 p. 543 deed assignment
Joseph Midgely - Sept. 19, 1871 - b. 11 p.54 deed assignment
Joseph Midegly estate- died Oct. 7, 1890
Midgely Heirs; Charles O. Shattuck, Lydia Shattuck, Martha T. Davis, Mary A. Sargent. Oct. 7, 1890
Daniel Collins - Dec. 1, 1890 - b. 110 p. 169
Daniel Hart - Jan. 13, 1891 - b. 110 p. 170
Edward Arundel - Oct. 13, 1907 - b. 254 p. 345 transfer
Mary C. Hart, wife of Daniel - Oct. 13, 1907 - b. 254 p. 346
John J. Hart - Oct. 1, 1919 - b. 409 p. 323
Cornelius J. & C. Elizabeth Hart - Apr. 1, 1931 - b. 557 p. 178
Don B. & Helen M. Law - Oct. 23, 1953 - b. 782 p. 450
Phillis J. & Howard D. Ponty - Dec. 18, 1959 - b. 907 p. 286
P. D. H. Corp., Phillis Ponty - Dec. 31, 1997 - b. 4962 p. 333
Kevin J. Barry - Jan. 28, 2003 - b. 7479 p. 1
K. J. B. Property Holdings, LLC - July 1, 2013 - b. 13553 p. 219
K. J. B. 6-10 Cuba Street, LLC - July 15, 2013 - b. 13553 p. 226
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Hart's Block|
|Present Use||residential (multi)|
|Original Use||residential (multi)|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||72-17|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, J. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||5/31/91, 6/2014|