Themes: Architectural, community development.
This property once belonged to Richard Alfred Ward and was sub-divided into 13 house lots in July 1926. Richard Ward was the son of Anthony and Sarah Ward who lived across the road in the ancient farmhouse at #88 Lowell St. when purchased in 1879. His brother George D. lived next door at #78. Richard built his home at #71 Lowell St. in 1885 on land purchased from John Cornell on Feb. 20, 1885.. It contained 18 acres in two parcels all north of Lowell Street.
Richard was a milkman and ran a dairy in Lawrence until retiring 1905. He married Mary E. Abbott and the couple had three children; Dora A., Mildred G. and Paul Ward. Dora A. Ward and Mildred G. Putnam would be given the property in 1939 as two separate parcels that had been laid out for future development. Mildred and husband Leveret Putnam lived at #71 Lowell as did their daughter Mary Ward Putnam. Son Paul A. & Marjorie Ward lived near by at 167 Lowell St. All were members of West Parish Church and are interred in West Parish Cemetery.
Dora Abbott Ward was deeded the property in May 23, 1939 but lived at #63 Lowell with her father Richard until his death in Jan. 1, 1946. Richard lived next door at #63 Lowell St. after it was built in 1926. His wife Mary had died in 1921. Dora A. Ward is deeded this portion of the property and sells that home at #63 to Gusta H. & Elizabeth Larson on Aug. 29, 1947. The lot was redrawn in Nov. 1971 deeding to Larson the garage and right of way.
Upon the death of Dora Ward her estate was executed through her Executrix Anna M. Greely. The property was inherited by her niece Mary Ward Putnam on Jan. 16, 1973. The property then went to Barbara Putnam on July 24, 1998. It was placed in the Putnam Realty Trust by Barbara on July 24, 1998.
The house is listed in the 1926 Street Directory and may have been used as rental income property at that time.
#65 Lowell St.
1926 Walker, V. R.
1928-29 - not # 65 listed
1937 -- Wood, Lawrence B.
1943 -- Christison, John & Emily F. (overseer at Arlington Mill in Lawrence)
1947 -- Ward, Dora A.
1957 -- Anderson, Ethel B. (School teacher at Shawsheen School)
1965 -- Ward, Dora A.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
West Parish Burial Records
Andover Street Directories
See Maps #6511, #7062 and #13470
John Cornell – two parcels of land north of Lowell St.
Richard Ward – Feb. 20, 1885 – bk. 80 pg. 19 - $525. two parcels = 18 acres
Dora A. Ward - May 23, 1939 - b. 623 p. 502 - #65 & #63
Gusta H. & Elizabeth Larson - Aug. 29, 1947 - b. 701 p. 549 - house at #63
Gusta H. & Elizabeth Larson -Nov. 10, 1971 - b. 1183 p. 27 - R/W and garage.
Dora A. Ward estate, Ann M. Greely, Extrix, - Jan. 16, 1973 b. 4234 p. 36 - #65
Mary Ward Putnam - - Jan. 16, 1973 b. 4234 p. 36
Barbara Putnam - July 24, 1998 - b. 5126 p. 299
Putnam Realty Trust - May 17, 1999 - b. 5431 p. 241
Frederick Ursitti Jr. & Deborah Halleran trustees
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Dora A. Ward House|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||The free standing garage was once part of this property and sub-divided off to #63 Lowell St.|
|Major Alterations||Replacement windows, vinyl siding|
|Map and parcel||69-1|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 02/21/2006, 5/25/2015|