Shingle Style, eyebrow dormer on roof
This property was once pasture land owned by the Trustees of Andover Theological Seminary. The farm was just east of Bartlet St. near Rabbits Pond. The Seminary and Trustees of Phillips Academy co-owned the property in May 1908. House lot parcels were sold off and this parcel was sold to Helen A. Mellege and husband James Harold Mellege on May 29, 1908.
J. Harold Millage was born in 1858 in MA and Helen A. (Kennedy) in 1857. Harold was an accountant in Boston. Mellage built the home and lived here for 10 years then purchased the home at 6 Chestnut St. They sold to Burchard E. & Mildred V. Horne on Nov. 10, 1919. Burchard transferred the deed to his wife Mildred V. on Feb. 19, 1929.
Burchard Everett Horne was born on Jan. 6, 1887 in Lawrence, MA son of George W. & Minnie (Severance) Horne. Burchard grew up in Lawrence and joined his father in the roofing business. Burchard married Mildred Vaughn Videto b. Mar. 31, 1886 in Nova Scotia, Canada, daughter of Noble M & Caroline A. (Goucher) Videto. Burchard continued in the roofing company but then transitioned into plumbing supplies and regulators. He founded the Watts Regulator Co. in Lawrence, MA. Burchard and Mildrend had one son George Burchard b. 1914. Burchard & Mildred owned this home for 27 years then selling to Frederick M. & Rachael C. Kimball on Dec. 12, 1946. The Hornes had purchased the Haywood farm at 82 Porter Rd. in 1935, then moving there.
Frederick M. & Rachael C. Kimball placed the property into the Rachael Coolidge Kimball Trust in December 1946 which remained as owner of record until 1989.
Mark V. & Margaret C. Hayes purchased the home on Sept. 21, 1989 and held for ten years then selling to Jeffrey N. Perrone & Cynthia Ade on August 16, 1999.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Trustees of Andover Theological Seminary - May 1, 1908 - land
Trustees of Phillips Academy - May 1, 1980 - land
Helen A. Mellege, hus. J. Harold - May 29, 1908 - b.261 p. 470 - 472 - parcel lot
Burchard E. Horne - Nov. 10, 1919 - b. 411 p. 136
Margaret E. Walsh - Feb. 19, 1929 - b. 545 p. 167
Mildred V. Horne - Feb. 19, 1929 - b. 545 p. 167
Burchard E. & Mildred V. Horne -
Frederick M. & Rachael C. Kimball - Dec. 12, 1946 - b. 693 p. 32
Rachael Coolidge Kimball Trust -June 30, 1940 - b. 884 p. 146
Rachael Coolidge Kimball Trust, Frederick M. Kimball Trs. - Nov. 24, 1958 - b. 884 p. 153
Rachael Coolidge Kimball Trust, - June 30, 1975 - b. 1262 pgs. 716 & 724
Coolidge Realty Trust - Apr. 29, 1981 - b. 1502 p. 90
Mark V. & Margaret C. Hayes - Sept. 21, 1989 - b. 3009 p. 52
Jeffrey N. Perrone & Cynthia Ade - Aug. 16, 1999 - b. 4573 p. 118
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Mellage - Horne House|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Map and parcel||40-92|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 12, 2015|