This property was once owned by Joseph W. & Hannah W. Foster. Hannah Foster sold a large parcel of 2 acre and 28,045 square ft. to Andover painter & carpenter William Wood on Mar. 10, 1883. William Wood built the home for himself and wife Margaret Wood, who would later hold the deed on September 13, 1895. William Wood was born in 1835 in Ireland,son of John & Margaret Choate or Chitic) Wood. William came to Andover from Danvers as a young boy and became a painter. He married on Nov. 21, 1865 by the Rector of Christ Church to Margaret McDermott, b. in March 1843 in Scotland, daughter of Robert & Amelia McDermott. William & Margaret had four children, three survived to adulthood; William W. b. 1867, Walter E. b. 1874 and Marion Leighton b. Jan. 13, 1876.
William Wood also developed Florence St. and built many of the homes in this area. The original parcel of land was was divided into house lots.along Park St and both sides of Florence St. on the Park St. end. The Woods would later occupy the home at 28 Florence St., razed in 1963 for the office building. Wood's son William was tragically killed from a fall off the commuter train entering Andover station on October 28, 1893. This loss took its toll on William and his health began to fail. He transferred all his property to his wife in 1895. William died on Aug. 16, 1896 and is interred in Christ Church Cemetery.
In July 1896 Wood sold this house and a portion of the lot to Mary M. Bowman wife of Charles Bowman, a blacksmith, and partner of Anderson & Bowman. Their shop was on the SE corner of Bartlet & Park Streets. The blacksmith's bought out the business of James Cochrane on Punchard Ave. and later moved the business to Park St.
Nov. 4, 1927 – AT pg. 1 Passing of Charles Bowman – Selectman Died while Serving Sixth Term of Office. Retired from Business on January 1. Fine Tribute Paid at Service Held in Free Church.
Charles Bowman, aged 65 years, and for fourteen years a member of the Board of Selectmen, died at his home, 66 Park St. Sunday morning, after a long illness. Mr. Bowman was born in Andover in 1862. .. Thirty five years ago married Miss Mary Leary also of Andover. A blacksmith by trade, he first served an apprenticeship with John Cochrane at the old shop on Punchard avenue where he worked for many years. After the interval when he was employed in Hyde Park and Haverhill, he returned to the Cochrane Shop as one of the joint proprietors in 1887. The following year in partnership with the friend of his boyhood, John Anderson, he went into business at the shop at the corner of Bartlet street and Punchard avenue, an arrangement that continued until January first of this year when the business was sold and both men retired.
Mr. Bowman was a member of the Andover club and Lincoln lodge, A. O. U. W., and was at the time of his death serving the three year term as selectman to which he was elected last March.
He is survived by his wife Mary; a son Charles W.; a daughter Belle, a brother, William, and two sisters, Mrs. Belle Scott and Jennie Bowman.
The Bowman family and heirs held ownership of the property for 84 years until selling in 1980. H. William Gurry purchased the property on Sept. 26, 1980 and then sold to P.A.M. Realty Trust, Patricia A. Stapinski in Nov. 1980. The house was converted into ten small office units as it continues in 2015.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. Foster
William Wood - March 10, 1883 - b. 71 p. 252
Mary M. Poor - Sept. 13, 1895 - b. 142 p. 524 - deed transfer
Margaret Wood - Sept. 13, 1895 - b. 142 p. 525
Mary M. Bowman, wife of Charles, - July 23, 1896 - b. 150 p. 407
Genevieve Gallanane - Nov. 7, 1945 - b. 678 p. 396
Mary M. Bowman, Charles W. Bowman & Isabel B. Erhardt - Nov. 7, 1945 - b. 678 p. 396
Mary M. Bowman estate - died Dec. 24, 1952
Charles W. Bowman & Isabel B. Erhardt, heirs 1953
Ann E. Smith - July 24, 1953 - b. 779 p. 293 deed transfer
Frederick A. & Isabel B. Erhardt - July 24, 1953 - b. 779 p. 294
Isabel B. Erhardt - b. 1237 p. 495
H. William Gurry - Sept. 26, 1980 - b. 1457 p. 118
P.A.M. Realty Trust, Patricia A. Stapinski, Tr. - Nov. 20, 1980 - b. 1470 p. 122
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||William Wood - Charles Bowman House|
|Present Use||Professional offices/apartments|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||William Wood builder|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||wood clapboards, coverd vinyl sided|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Major Alterations||window replacements, vinyl siding conversion to professional office space|
|Map and parcel||39-86|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jan. 19, 2015|