67 Stevens Street

Architectural Description: 

Queen Anne

Historical Narrative: 

This property once belonged to Abraham Marland, founder of Marland Mills and after the area known as Marland Village was named. Marland built his homestead at 29-33 Shawsheen Road in 1811 and lived there until his death in 1849. His mill next to the river was first a cotton mill and then began wool cloth production. Marland acquired most of the land on both sides of Stevens St. formerly called Marland St. before 1904.

Abraham Marland sold a parcel of land to William Gledhill on June 24, 1845. William Gedhill was born on Aug. 11, 1812 in England, married on Oct. 3, 1842 in Andover, MA to Catherine Watterly Wilkins b.1818 in Maine. William became a naturalized citizen at Lowell in Oct. 1844. He worked as a finisher at Marland Mills. They had five children John Newill b. Aug. 11, 1843 in Norway, ME, Ann Amelia b. June 28, 1845, Rachel Emma bp. Apr. 10, 1846, Mary Marland b. July 24, 1847, Maria W. b. 1851, and George F. b. 1853. The 1850 Valuation schedule lists two houses for William Gledhill in West Parish valued at $800. The 1852 map of Andover also shows two houses on this site at Marland Village. As the map shows two separate houses we believe, at this time, they at #67 and #75 Stevens St. and the attached house #77 was a later addition or moved to the location. William sold the property to his brother Edward Gledhill on April 12, 1853.

Edward Gledhill b. 1823 in England, married Mary Myers on Jan. 1, 1846 at Christ Church in Andover. Edward was a Cloth Finisher in 1847 when their son William Francis Gledhill was born on on Aug. 20, 1847. They had four more children; Martha A. b. 1850, Sarah J. b. 1852, and Sydney E. b. 1857 and Frank L. b. 1859. In the 1860 Valuation Edward Gleadhill's two houses are assessed at $1000.

The children later inherit the property from their father in 1880. William Francis Gleding buys the estate shares from his siblings for $525. The 1888 the Town Directory has William listed as a clerk at the Smith & Manning Store at 8-10 Essex Street. William Francis Gledhill married Susan ____________, and had a daughter Mary E. b. 1883. They owned the property for 17 years. He also purchased the pasture lot adjoining the house lot and the Peter Smith estate. It was owned by Margaret McCullom and she sold to William on Jan. 15, 1889. This property is most of Cassimere St. area. William later sold to Charles E. Torrey and wife Annie J. on July 6, 1897.

The 1901 and 1904 directories has Torrey, carpenter on 79 Marland St. {Stevens St.) In 1910 and 1920 the property house with barn and hen houses, Charles E. and Anne C. Torrey, employed Marland Mills. Torrey 2 houses and barn.
1906 house, barn and large lot.

Moses T Stevens of North Andover bought out the Marland Mills, continuing the cloth manufacturing in the village. The name later change to the J. P. Stevens & Co., Inc., which purchased this property from Torrey on Sept. 23, 1922.

The company also recognized the need for housing for operatives in the area. The company owned the apartment buildings on North Main Street and most of the land on both sides of Stevens St. The company sold off their residential units in 1953.Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA. At this time the houses at 67, 75 and 77 Stevens St. were all sold off to different buyers.

This property was purchased by John & Davina Y. Elder. The house number has been changed and is listed as #71 in 1923. John & Davina are renting the house at that time. John's occupation is Blacksmith. He and wife Davina were both born in 1886. They rented for 30years then purchased in 1953. John died on May 15, 1969 and Davina a shirt time later. The property was then sold through the Executor of the estate Arthur W. Reason to Warren A. & Bertha M. Maddox on October 2, 1969. Maddox appears to have rented the house as a Watts family and Elizabeth Reed here there in 1971.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedules
Andover Street Directories
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906
Ancestry.com

Owners;
Abraham Marland -
William Gledhill - June 24, 1845
Edward Gledhill - April 12, 1853 -
Edward Gledhill estate, Heirs; William F., Martha A., Sarah J. and Sydney E. Gledhill
William F. Gledhill - May 24, 1880 - b. 60 p. 42
William F. & Susan Gledhill - Jan 6, 1897 - b. 156 p. 390
Charles E. & Annie Torrey - July 6, 1897 - b. 156 p. 390
J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. - Sept. 23, 1922 - b. 465 p. 406
John & Davina Y. Elder - Feb. 11, 1853 - b. 773 p. 353
Arthur W. Reason, Extr. of Elder estate - Sept. 18, 1969 - Probate #302226
Warren A. & Bertha M. Maddox - Oct. 2, 1969 - b. 1141 p. 98
Allan W. & Agnes R. Allbee - Nov. 10, 1972 - b. 1206 p. 261
Larry L. & Nancy L. Larson - June 10, 1980 - b. 1442 p. 112-113
Marshall J. & Christine H. Darling - Sept. 24, 1980 - b. 1457 p. 182
Martin E. Lapham - June 27, 1985 - b. 1994 p. 63
Martin E. & Julie C. Lapham - Oct. 19, 1987 - b. 2611 p. 220
Elaine LeBlanc - Feb. 14, 1992 - b. 3400 p. 5
Elaine (LeBlanc) Baker, husband Bruce -
Linda D. Sharar - Oct. 12, 2012 - b. 13160 p. 61

Inventory Data:

StreetStevens St
PlaceMarland Village
Historic DistrictAndover Village Industrial NRH District
Historic NameGledhill - Torrey House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1870 - 1875
SourceERDS, ENRDL
Architectural StyleQueen Anne
Foundationstone
Wall/Trimclapboard/wood
Roofasphalt
Conditionexcellent
Acreage0.182 acre
Settingresidential
Map and parcel54-112
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 7/2014

Images: 

Map: