The vinyl siding covers much of the original window molding, trim boards and corner boards. The house maintains the original slate roof used on every home built by the American Woolen Co. The front entry surround details are also masked by vinyl siding.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain.
The house is in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets, later moved into the Administration Building.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were William & Elizabeth Harrison. William was a master mechanic. In 1943 two daughter Grace a clerk, and Marion a bookkeeper, both work for the American Woolen Co.
This house was sold to Alf "Alfred" & Minnie Greenfield on July 28, 1934. Alf was superintendent of finishing at the American Woolen Co. In 1943 their son Charles was in the US Army. Alf died on July 6, 1951. Minnie b. 1888 then shared her home with her son Charles. b. 1919. Charles was an operative in 1961. Emma Briggs b. 1914 was an Industry nurse. An Ivy Fickenwirth b. 1903 a L. P. Nurse also shared the home. In September Minnie placed the deed in her's and Emma & Charles names. Minnie died on June 16, 1980. After 52 years of ownership the home was sold to Timothy J. & Isabelle V. Caverly on Oct. 2, 1986.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #35
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to A.W.Co.
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres.
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 10th parcel
Alf & Minnie Greenfield - July 28, 1934 - b. 580 p. 335
Alf Greenfield estate,Minnie Greenfield heir - July 6, 1951
Minnie Greenfield, Emma Briggs and Charles L. Greenfield - Sept. 21, 1965 - b. 1045 p. 107
Minnie Greenfield estate; Emma Briggs and Charles L. Greenfield heirs - June 16, 1980 - Probate
Timothy J. & Isabelle V. Caverly - Oct. 2, 1986 - b. 2319 p. 347
Eric P. & Margaret J. deLacoste - Feb. 5, 1992 - b. 3400 p. 67
Eric P. deLacoste - July 19, 2001 - b. 6261 p. 240
Shourov K. Chatterji & Suzanne L. Miller - May 28, 2009 - b. 11612 p. 61
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Alf & Minnie Greenfield House|
|Original Use||residence - mill housing|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||hip - slate|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding covers original wood clapboard, window trim and corner boards. Replacement windows and enclosed porch.|
|Map and parcel||18-17|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/22/2015|