68 Park Street

Architectural Description: 

Italianate style

The house was originally built in the Italianate style, the front facade was ell shaped with an open porch along the left side. The two story addition replaced the porch when the home was converted into a funeral home in 1959. see period photo below.

Historical Narrative: 

This property was once owned by Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. Foster. Hannah sold two acres and 28,045 square feet of land to William Wood on Mar. 10, 1883. Wood was a carpenter and builder and constructed many of the homes on Park Street and developed Florence St.

William Wood divided the purchased land into house lots and sold off the newly constructed homes when completed. On October 20, 1893 Wood sold this property with dwelling house to Addie A. Bodwell, wife of Lewis F. Bodwell. The Bodwells owned the property for eleven years then sold to Frank E. Dodge on June 8, 1904.

Frank E. Dodge and family owned the property for 54 years. Frank's wife was Ella B. Dodge. Their children; Adelaide D. Aston, Carolyn F. Dodge, Edward S, Philip B. Frank E. Jr., and Holbrook Dodge would later inherit the property.

The Dodge heirs sold the home on December 18, 1958 to Lane Funeral Service Inc. of Winchester, MA. The house was then converted into the Lane Funeral Home. The family lived on the second floor and the main floor was used as the funeral parlor. The Lane Funeral Home operated here for 13 years then selling their business to Frederick E. Allen & Son Funeral Home, Inc. on June 1, 1971. The Allen family continued the business at this location for 11 years.

The property was then sold on Aug. 30, 1982 to the Park Street Realty Trust, with Charles F. Dalton and Rosalee (Lee") V.E. Dodd as the trustees. Both were local Realtors in Andover. The, consisting of the house, barn and carriage house was then converted into eight professional and retail office spaces. In August 1984 the units were turned into condominium units. The former Bodwell - Dodge house is now referred to as the "Lee Dodd House". Douglas V.E. Dodd, son of Lee Dodd, then became the trustee of the Park Street Trust now under the name of VRE LLC on April 22, 2014.

Some tenants;
Park Alley, 68 Park Street
Allure of Andover (2010)
Andover Antiquarian Books & Prints (2000)
Andover Gallery
Betsy Williams / Proper Season
Mercantile Consignment
Nargozian Oriental Rugs
Coldwell Banker Realty, 68 Park Street (1988)

Merrimack Engineering, 66 Park Street (2000s)


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser
Andover Townsman
Main Street Evolution - Gail Ralston - 2014
Plan #11094 - site plan Park St. Condominiums - Apr. 15, 1988

Hannah W. & Joseph W. Foster
William Wood - March 10, 1883 - b. 71 p. 252 - two acres, 28,0445 sq. ft.
Addie A. Bodwell - Oct. 20, 1893 - b. 129 p. 148 - portion with dwelling
Addie A. & Lewis F. Bodwell
Frank E. Dodge - June 8, 1904 - b. 218 p. 460
Frank E. Dodge estate, Ella B. Dodge Heir
Ella B. Dodge estate, Dodge heirs, Adelaide D. Ashton, - Dec. 18, 1958 - b. 885 p. 373
Lane Funeral Service Inc. Dec. 18, 1958 - b. 885 p. 374
Robert E. & Dorothy T. Lane Trust - Nov. 18, 1969 - b. 1144 p. 199
Dorothy T. Lane, heir and extrx of Robert - Apr. 9, 1970 - b. 1150 p. 790
Dorothy T. Lane, A. Charles Lane, & Robert A. Lane heirs
Frederick E. Allen & SOn Funeral Home, Inc. - June 1, 1971 - b. 1172 p. 2
Park St. Realty Trust - Charles F. Dalton, Lee Dodd, Trs. - Aug. 30, 1982 - b. 1601 p. 53
Park Street Realty Trust, Douglas V.E. Dodd Tr. - b. 9092 p. 161
VRE. LLC - April 22, 2014 - b. 13830 p. 28

Inventory Data:

StreetPark St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameBodwell - Dodge House
Present UseProfessional offices/apartments
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1892-1893
Architectural StyleItalianate
Architect/BuilderWilliam Wood builder
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimclapboards/vinyl covered
Roofasphalt - gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuresbarn and carriage house
Major Alterationstwo story addition to front left facade 1959 Conversion to 8 condominium office units 1984 vinyl siding, replacement windows
Acreage0.397 acre
Map and parcel39-87
Recorded byJames S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date enteredJan. 23, 2015