Built as a two family residence
7 - 9 Lewis Street – Perkins - Burbine - Surette House built 1898
Lewis Street was constructed in 1895 as an access route to the railroad by Hardy and Cole. Lots for single and duplex homes were laid out along the north side of the street. Henry G. Tyer built his plant on the southern side of the Low estate in 1856. Tyer invented the process of making clear white rubber goods used for the medical industry. This plant manufactured his new patented shoe called the “Compo”.
This new neighborhood was an ideal location for workers in the village to walk to work and its close proximity to the Main Street business center. Number 3 Lewis St. was the first home constructed by Hardy and Cole and sold to Abby Stimson in November 1897.
Lewis Street & Buxton Court were planned about 1893-5 by Lewis T. Hardy and Joseph Cole, partners in the firm of Hardy and Cole 1874 - 1915. The property was the former Major Joseph Low estate at 80 (70) North Main Street purchased on June 30, 1892 from Mary Ann Low and the remaining heirs of the property.
Hardy & Cole divided up the Low property creating parcels to the north of the house on Noorth Main St. and the new road and court to the south and west.
Lewis St. was after Lewis Titus Hardy and Buxton Court after Ira Buxton, a local carpenter who was employed by Hardy and Cole and was the first to build his new home on the court. Buxton Court was sometimes referred to as Lewis Court and “Tyrian Way” in deeds
Most of the homes in this neighborhood were constructed as two family duplexes and for the most part owner occupied with the second units used as rental income. The majority of the residents were operatives in the nearby businesses of the Tyer Rubber Company, Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. and Marland Mills of the J.P. Stevens Company.
The 5000 sq. ft. lot was purchased by Jane F. Perkins, wife of George Perkins from Hardy & Cole on Jan. 6, 1898. Perkins also purchased the adjoining lot at 2-4 Buxton Ct. and built as income property. Jane Frances Perkins was born in Feb. 1867 in Kildare Co. Ireland, Jane Frances Austin dau. of William & Eliabeth (O'Hara) Auston. Jane immigrated to Massachusetts in 1890 and married on April 6, 1892 in Melrose to Henry F. Johnson b. 1869 in Ireland, son of William & Elizabeth (Ferguson) Johnson. William was a Reedmaker, who died on Feb. 23, 1895 of Consumption. Jane would remarry in Wakefield, MA on Aug. 14, 1897 to George A. Perkins, carpenter and widower, son of Gustavus & Edna (Burnham) Perkins. George had one daughter, with his first wife Mary E. Magee (d. 6/29/1896), Edna May b. July 8, 1895. In the 1900 Census the Perkins are living at 70A North Main St. on the corner of Lewis St. (the old Low Homestead) Jane & George had one daughter Jennie Elizabeth Christina Perkins b. Dec. 25, 1903. The 1910 and 1920 Census reveal that the Perkins took in boarders who worked in the local mills. Stepdaughter Edna M. married on Mar. 3, 1920 to Thomas Bradshaw. The 1920 Census lists George as a Presser at Tyer Rubber Co. Jenny graduated from Punchard High School in 1921. Jane died in 1924 and in her estate George and daughter Jenny were given life tenancy in the property. Jenny married Cecil Ward Atkins and in 1930 were all living in San Diago, CA.
Angus Burbine & Elie Surette acquired the property on July 7, 1928 and their heirs continue to own the home.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Jane Perkins - March 17, 1900 - bk. 183 pg. 438 land
Jane Perkins - March 4, 1909 - bk. 270 pg. 246 mortgage - land & buildings
Federal Census 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930
Ancestry.com. Austin, Johnson, Perkins families.
Major Joseph Low - 1820 - December 10, 1853
Sarah (Wood) Low - Dec. 1853 - Nov. 12, 1872
Lucy & Emily Low - June 3, 1873 - March 10, 1892
Hardy & Cole - June 30, 1892 -bk. 119 pg. 406 - Major Joseph Low Estate
Jane F. Perkins, wife of George - Jan. 6, 1898 - bk. 160 pg 301 - 5000 sq. ft. lot
Jane Frances Perkins est. - June 5, 1924 - Probate # 148,799
George A. Perkins, & Jenny E. C. (Perkins Atkins) life tenancy 1924
Angus & Nellie Burbine, Elie (Mary) Surette
Elie Surette estate - Probate # 217868
Angus Burbine & Elie Surette - July 7, 1928 - bk. 541 pg. 74 will & deed.
Rita Surette Buckley, -Feb. 8, 1952 - bk. 768 pg. 263
Catherine Neville, Mary Surette, Rita Surette Buckley et al
Helen T. Reming et al - Jan. 20, 1958 - bk. 768 pg. 263
Jemome Burbine - July 18 1959 - bk. 868 pg. 357 - bk. 899 pg. 103
Theodore & Rosemary Surette - July 30, 1965 - bk. 1040 pg. 6
Stephen W. Surette - Aug. 25, 2000 - bk. 5842 pg. 285
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Perkins - Burbine - Surette House|
|Architect/Builder||Hardy & Cole builders|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Major Alterations||two story addition on west end of house Vinyl siding|
|Map and parcel||38-15|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 2014|