Queen Anne, dentil detail under eaves, clapboarded on lower story, shingle on second story, fish scale edge between stories, decorative porch and railings
This property was once owned by John H. Flint and purchased by William Goldsmith in 1874 when the new street Maple Ave was laid out by Flint. Goldsmith purchased three lots on Maple Ave to the corner of Elm St. He developed the lot and had the house built. Goldsmith lived on Elm St. and was the former Principal of Punchard High School and Andover's Postmaster.
The property and house was sold for $3418.75 on Nov. 7, 1889 to John E. Whiting, the local Jeweler and merchant who had his store at 32 Main St. in the Barnard building.
John Whiting was a respected citizen and well liked by his customers. Whiting moved to Andover in 1867 and opened a small jewelery store. Dec. 21, 1883 AA pg. 3 J. E. Whiting – moves to Barnard block – has been in town 16 years.
John E. Whiting jeweler moved into the corner storefront in Dec. 1883 from the Swift Building across the street at #17. This was Whiting’s fifth and last location since establishing his business in 1867. May 31, 1907 pg. 1 - The store occupied by J. E. Whiting will have more room and better light by the transposition of the Barnard Street entrance into a large window, Hardy & Cole do the work.
It was John Whitings' design of a small broach pin for the Town's 250th Anniversary Celebration that would be adopted as the official logo in 1896 and later in 1900 adapted into the town seal that we continue to use today.
John Whiting died in January 1916 at age 67 y 8m 24d. His wife Adaline T. died two days later at age 70y 11m 28d. The Whiting family held a double funeral. Son Frank E. Whiting continued his father's business until his death on June 16, 1918 at the age of 42. The 51 year old jewelry business was purchased by John E. Blackshaw who sold to A. F. Rivard.
Aug. 4, 1922 AT- "Blackshaw Jewelry Store purchased by Albert F. Rivard of Taunton – John D. Blackshaw purchased from the former J. E. Whiting store run by his son F. E. Whiting four years ago."
Frank's wife Sophia Anderson Whiting then took guardianship for the son Frank Edward Whiting Jr. A Living Trust was later set up with Irving E. Rogers, Alexand H. Rogers and Harold H. Rogers as trustees.
Irving E. Rogers and wife Martha B. Rogers took ownership of the property in April 1940. The following year the house was sold to Frederick E. & Hazel L. Griffin on April 26, 1841. They held the property for 8 years then selling to Ruth M. Macreadie in March 1949.
Charles & Bessie Liponis were the next owners in October 1956. Liponis owned for 10 years then selling to Philip & Nancy Christie on Dec. 29, 1966. The following year Gregory and Rita Christie took ownership of the property and held for two years before selling to Richard & Claudia H. Cavallaro on Jan. 10, 1969.
The Cavallaro family continue to own the property in 2015 under the Claudia H. Cavallaro Trust in May 2013.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
John H. Flint
William G. Goldsmith - Aug. 22, 1874 - b. 30 p. 118 - lots - land
John E. Whiting - Nov. 7, 1889 - b. 103 p. 554 - land & house
Frank E. Whiting - Jan 1916 - June 1918
Sophia Anderson Whiting, guardian - Andover Natl. Bank - May 25, 1928 - b. 540 p. 355
Broadway Savings Bank - May 11, 1934 - b. 578 p. 62 - poss. $4800
Irving E. Rogers Living trust - Nov. 30, 1935 - b.
Irving E. & Martha B. Rogers - Apr. 5, 1940 - b. 630 p. 15
Frederick E. & Hazel L. Griffin - Apr. 26, 1941 - b. 639 p. 595 - portion of lot
Ruth M. Macreadie - Mar. 8, 1949 - b. 721 p. 71
Charles & Bessie Liponis - Oct. 1, 1956 - b. 842 p. 277
Philip & Nancy J. Christie - Dec. 29, 1966 - b. 10750 p. 60
Gregory P. & Rita G. Christie - July 13, 1967 - b. 1086 p. 53
Richard J. & Claudia H. Cavallaro - Jan. 10, 1969 - b. 1122 p. 464
Richard J. Calallaro estate, Claudia heir - Sept. 3, 2005
Claudia H. Cavallaro Trust - May 23, 2013, b. 13462 p. 343
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||John E. Whiting House|
|Present Use||residence - two family|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||conversion to 2 family Vinyl siding|
|Map and parcel||38-188|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||November 15, 2014, 2/5/2015|