Greek Revival, gable end to street, fan light in gable,
engaged pillars on porch level with Doric columns for support. Unusual window details with decorative corbels and dentil work.
Themes: architectural, community development
Cuba Street was constructed between 1829 & 1835 and the houses built atop of Cuba Woods hill had a commanding view of Andover Center and Abbott Village.
This property was once owned by Issac Howarth and family who lived in the home at 17 Cuba St. This 1/4 acre lot was sold by Howarth heir, Isabelle (Howarth) Anderson to Julia J. Welch on July 20, 1869. A year later a small 12 foot strip of land along the south side of the property was also sold to Julia by Anderson.
June 24, 1870 Andover Advertiser – "Mrs. Julia Welsh is building a two story house on Cuba St. 30' x 22' with and L 16' x 22'. " Julia lived in her home until her death on March 3, 1892. She was the wife of Joseph Welch and they had seven children; Mary C., John, Michael, James, Bridget, Hillie, and Katie. Julia is interred at St. Augustine's Cemetery. Son John J. Welsh was the Administrator for her estate, selling the property at auction on Aug. 13, 1892.
Daughter Mary C. (Welsh) Nolan, wife of James Nolan purchased the property for $2300. The deed was transferred to her name on Aug. 18, 1892. Mary married on Nov 27, 1868 in Andover, James Nolan, b. in 1840 in Canada, son of James & Julia (Deluney) Nolan. They had five children; Mary T., Joseph P., James A., Selina A., and Charles P.
Husband James Nolan died on Oct. 15, 1910 and age 63. Mary Nolan quit claimed the deed on Apr. 16, 1916 to her children, Mary T. Daly, Joseph P. Nolan & James A. Nolan
The Nolan siblings held the property together. Joseph Nolan died in 1942, his sister and brother inherited his share. The property deeds were transferred through attorney Anna Greeley of Andover in Sept. 30, 1942.
With the death of Mary T. (Nolan) Daly the property was sold to Thomas T. & Esther M. Leary in Dec.1947. The Learys held the property for about six years then sold to Evelyn M. Graham in March 1953.
Two years later the home was sold to Richard H. and Mabel A. MacMillian in July 1955. After Richard's death Mabel put her property into a trust for herself. She later sold to Lynda A. & Richard K. Issacs on April, 29, 1969. Lynda Issacs continues ownership in 2014.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1830, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906
Andover Street Directories
Andover Valuation Reports
(Note; There are three spellings of the surname Welch, Walsh, & Welsh in documents)
Isaac Howarth - Land
Samuel & Isabelle Anderson and James & Ann Crooper Samuel & Isabelle Anderson 1854 - land
Isabelle Anderson, wife of Samuel to Welch
Julia J. Welch - July 20, 1869 - b. 777 leaf 124 Salem deeds - also Apr. 29, 1870 - b. 4 p. 542 2nd strip of land
Julia J. Welch Estate, John J. Welch, Adm. - Probate will July 11, 1892 - b. 120 p. 538-539
Mary Nolan, wife of James - Aug. 18, 1892 - b. 120 p. 539 - at auction - $2300.
Mary Nolan - Aug. 18, 1902 - quit claim -
Mary T. Daly, Joseph P. Nolan & James A. Nolan - Apr. 16, 1916 - b. 363 p. 528
Joseph P. Nolan estate Probate #203610 - 1942 b. 363 p. 528
Mary T. Daly & James A. Nolan, heirs 1942
Anna Greeley - Sept. 30, 1942 - b. 654 p. 87
Mary T. Daly & James A. Nolan - Sept. 30, 1942 - b. 654 p. 88
Mary T. Daly estate, Anna Greeley, Extrx. - Probate #220650
Thomas T & Esther M. Leary - Dec. 22, 1947 - b. 706 p. 96
Evelyn M. Graham - Mar. 20, 1953 - b. 773 p. 542
Richard H. & Mabel A. MacMillan - July 11, 1955 - b. 816 p. 318
Mabel A. MacMillan Trust, Victor Hatem, trustee - Apr. 30, 1965 - b. 1032 p. 406 & 407
Mabel A. MacMillan Trust, Margaret L. Baril, trustee - Apr. 30, 1965 - b. 1032 p. 408 & 409
Mabel A. MacMillan - Aug. 12, 1966 - b. 1066 p. 225
Lynda A. & Richard K. Issacs - Apr. 29, 1969 - b. 1129 p. 208
Lynda A. Issacs - March 21, 1994 - b. 4008 p. 83
Lynda H. Issacs & Michael C. Schultz - b. 7643 p. 137
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Julia J. Welch House|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Acreage||less than one acre, 11,775 sq. ft. , approx. frontage 90 ft.|
|Map and parcel||72-46|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 6/2014|