other features: U-shapes; left wing and center block have gabled roofs; right wing has flat roof; center pavillion with 4 cross gables
Present owner: Congregation Temple Emanuel
Themes: Architectural, Community development, religion
7 Haggetts Pond Road – Temple Emanuel
The nearly 11 acres of land now occupied by Temple Emanuel was once part of Aaron Blanchard’s 26 acre homestead farm that extended from Bellevue Rd. to Haggetts Pond. The Blanchard home was located near the east corner of Preston Circle and Bellevue Rd.
Temple Emanuel is the first Jewish Temple to be built in Andover in 1979, but its congregation was established in Lawrence in 1920. The parishioners acquired their first property of the late George W. Horne on June 20, 1920 at 483 Lowell Street in Lawrence from his daughters Ella & Lillian Horne.
George W. Horne was born 1836 in Rochester, NH, son of Jonathan & Elizabeth “Betsy” (Maine) Horne. George married in Lowell, MA to Irene “Rena” A. Priest b. 1837 in Vasselboro, Maine, dau. of Henry A. & Mary J. Priest. George & Rena had five children; George H. b. 1858 – d. 1908, Herbert W. b. 1862, Augusta W. b. 1866, Ella May b. 1872 and Lillian C. b. 1876. George was a carpenter, established a successful roofing business in Lawrence specializing in slate, tin and gravel roofing. His two sons joined in the business. George purchased the lot of land at the corner of Lowell and Milton Streets from the City of Lawrence on Apr. 2, 1867. He would build two homes on the property, one facing Lowell St and the other facing Milton St. for his sons. A large barn or carriage house was built between the homes. George W. Horne died on January 3, 1919.
The Temple Emanuel parishioners converted the barn into the first sanctuary. “In the early days in the sanctuary it was possible to look up where the Ark was kept and see the door to the hay loft.” From the beginning it would be a departure from the strictly “Orthodox” style. “Men and women were allowed to sit together. Some people also were offended because music was played, a good portion of the service was in English and the rabbi did not sport a beard” stated Thayer Warshaw. “They had services of different types to appeal to different constituencies and there were different dialects spoken by the worshipers.” For many years the conservative-affiliated temple’s membership remained low. After WWII the temple became affiliated with the reform movement and membership increased. “Temple Emanuel transferred its membership from the United Synagogue of America as a liberal Conservative congregation to full participation in the Union for Reform Judaism as a traditional Reform congregation.”
A new temple replaced the old converted barn in 1950's and the house was used for Hebrew school and offices. Later the house was razed and an addition was added. The site however had limited parking and offered little hope of expansion with increased membership. By the early 1960s there was dialog about moving out of the city.
In 1962 Rabbi Harry Roth arrived and 17 years later the dream became a reality when a new temple was built in West Andover. On Friday of Thanksgiving weekend in 1979, a relay of worshipers "Like runners caring the Olympic torch, members of Temple Emanuel in Lawrence carried the Torah six miles to their new home at 7 Haggetts Pond Road in Andover in 1979. The tradition goes back to the Old Testament when King David carried the ark of the Covenant to his new capitol of Jerusalem." Rabi Roth retired in 1990 and Rabbi Robert Goldstein was called to fill the post. In 2020 Temple Emanuel will celebrate a century of service to the Greater Lawrence community.
Historic site history.
The site was once the farm of Aaron Blanchard born July 27, 1740, son of Thomas Jr. & Elizabeth (Johnson) Blanchard. Aaron was a Blacksmith, married on Jan. 5, 1762 to Nelle (Elenor) Holt b. June 27, 1723. Aaron & Nelle had 14 children of only 8 survived to adulthood:
Thomas b. Nov. 11, 1762, Mary b. Sept. 2, 1764 - d. May 15, 1786, Aaron b. Aug. 12, 1766, Susanna b. May 23, 1768 – d. Sept. 4, 1775, Nelle b. Apr. 20, 1770 – d. Sept. 26, 1775, John b. June 1, 1772, Lucy b. Feb. 12, 1774 – d. Sept. 3, 1775, Nelle b. Jan. 7, 1776, Samuel bp. Sept. 7, 1777, Amos b. Sept. 1, 1777, Lucy b. June 10, 1780, Susanna b. June 18, 1782 – d. Aug. 20, 1783, Susanna b. Mar. 20, 1784 – Feb. 5, 1785, Mary b. Mar. 17, 1786 – d. July 30, 1786. Aaron enlisted during the Revolutionary War, served in Capt. Josiah Holt’s Co. marched the alarm April 19, 1775 to Cambridge. Served 1½ days.
Wife Nelle died of consumption on May 5, 1788 age 44y 11m. Aaron remarried on Sept. 21, 1789 to widow Mehitable (Mooar) Chase. They had two children; Emery Chase bpt. Aug. 8, 1790, Benjamin bpt. Jan. 6, 1793.
By 1782 Aaron had accumulated debts he could not repay and lost his 26 acre farm to Elisha Porter, Esq. via a court suit on July 1, 1782. Aaron owned Elisha Porter 197 pounds 6 shillings 5 pence plus court fees. Aaron recovered from the setbacks, purchased a 50 acre farm from Jacob Osgood in 1791.
William Griffin, yeoman, wife Molly purchased Aaron’s former farm from Porter for 80 pounds May 1, 1789. William later sold to his daughter Ednah Griffin, spinster, on Aug. 26, 1820 for $500. Both deeds were recorded on Aug 20, 1821. Ednah later married at age 75 years on Oct. 14, 1834 to Thomas C. Wood, yeoman. Thomas C. b. July 13, 1779 Bradford, NH, son of Thomas & Dolly Wood, was widower of Orpha Foster. They sold the farm to his son Henry T. Wood, wife Mehitable, for $500 on Oct. 9, 1843. Henry, a merchant, was living in Jefferson, KY at that time. Henry T. was born in 1812 in Portland, ME. Ednah died on Feb. 11, 1849 age 86 years. Thomas died on Oct. 10, 1857 in Winchester.
Henry T. Wood sold the property on Aug. 20, 1867 to Perry M. & Caroline A. (Walker) Jefferson. Jefferson was a soap manufacturer, lived on Lowell Street and acquired several properties in the area. William Hardy purchased the property on Dec. 31, 1870. William was born June 22, 1817 in Tewksbury MA, son of Stephen & Sarah (Bailey) Hardy. William married Susan Wells Robinson b. Apr. 3, 1827. They had ten children; Charles E. b. 1848, Lewis T. R. b. 1849, Willard b. 1851-1867, Albert A. b. 1855, Susan S. b. 1858, Sophrina E. b. 1860, Edward S. b. 1863, Frederick L. b. 1865, Emma L. b. 1867 and Mary B. b. 1871. William was a blind and sash maker when married but later a farmer. His son Lewis T. became a carpenter and partnered with Frank Cole in the very successful construction business of Hardy & Cole. William Hardy died on Mar. 10, 1888 and willed a live estate to his wife and two daughters, Emma & Mary B. The remained of his estate went to sons Edward and Fred. The Hardy family owned for 45 years then sold to Fred T. Harrington in 1915.
Fred Harrington b. Jan. 11, 1881, son of Daniel and Martha (Winning) Harrington. Fred was a milk dealer, married twice, first on July 1, 1897 to Eva S. Webb dau. of Mathew & Esther (Wright) Webb. He remarried on Oct. 1, 1908 to Mary Eliz. Cliffton Shaw, dau. of John B. & Ida (Harrington) Shaw. Fred and Mary had three sons; Herbert T. b. 1910, Frederick L. b. 1912 and Chester b. 1914. They later divorced and Fred raised his sons. Son Herbert married Gertrude E. Woodman, had a son Donald, and worked with his father. The Harringtons held the farm for 35 years.
Fred sold the farm to Essov “Ace” and Rose Essoian on Dec. 29, 1950. Essov was born July 13, 1911 in Harpoot, Armenia, son of Hoogas and Katoon (Loosigian) Essoian. The Essoians were one of the many Armenian families who immigrated to America to escape the genocide of their people. Several Armenian families settled in West Andover, purchased homes and embraced farming, mostly produce and a few dairy farms. Ace and Rose sold their farm land to the Congregation Temple Emanuel of Lawrence on Sept. 15, 1977. Their home was at 82 Bellevue Road.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover, A Century of Change, 1995
Lawrence Eagle Tribune
Andover Townsman - June 22, 1995 - Temple Emanuel celebrates 75 years.
7 Haggetts Pond Road
Aaron Blanchard farm –
Elisha Porter, Esq. Court suit against Blanchard – July 1, 1782 – 197 d. 6s 5p.
Elisha Porter, Esq. – Apr. 5, 1785 rec. May 1, 1789 –
William Griffin, wife Molly – May 1, 1789 rec. Aug. 20, 1821 – b. 226 p. 242
Ednah Griffin – Aug. 26, 1820 rec. Aug 20, 1821 – b. 226 p. 241 – 26a w/blds
Ednah & Thomas C. Wood – m. Oct. 14, 1838
Henry T. Wood, wife Mehitable – Oct. 9, 1843 – b. 339 leaf 191
Perry M. Jefferson, wife Caroline A. – Aug. 20, 1867 – b. 735 leaf 29
William Hardy - Dec. 31, 1870 – b. 7 p. 72
William Hardy estate, Mar. 3, 1888 - hiers Edward S., Fred L. Hardy – Probate
Fred T. Harrington – May 7, 1915 – b. 353 p. 280 – 11.35 acres - $600
Ace & Rose Essoian – Dec. 29, 1950 – b. 746 p. 419
Congregation Temple Emanuel of Lawrence – Sept. 15, 1977 – b. 1320 p. 200
Owners - 483 Lowell Street, Lawrence, MA
Essex Company – 1845
Charles Hutchinson and Abel Barker – June 7, 1853 – b. 486 leaf 105
City of Lawrence – May 2, 1865 – b. 514 lead 87 - $726
George W. Horne – Apr. 2, 1867 – b. 722 leaf 27 - $450
George W. Horne estate, Heirs Ella May & Lillian G. Horne – 1920
Congregation Temple Emanuel of Lawrence – June 20, 1920 – b 427 p. 424
|Street||Haggetts Pond Rd|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Temple Emanuel|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||none|
|Acreage||10.96 acres; approx. frontage: 400'; approx. distance from road: 90'|
|Map and parcel||198-5|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Feb 25 1980, 7/17/2018|