Other features: Molding and detailing intact
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Known as the Phelps Farm in the 19th century.
Herman Phelps was born on May 30, 1816 son of Chandler & Lydia (Parkhurst) Phelps. Herman married Esther B. Merrill b. 1822 and they had two sons Frank C. b. Feb. 20, 1850 and Herman Sydney b. Mar. 25, 1852. Esther Phelps died on Nov. 26, 1876. and Herman died of Heart disease on Oct. 11, 1878 at age 62. Herman's sons Frank C. and H. Sydney Phelps would both inherit the farm.
Frank C. Phelps married Abby Jane Hardy, b. Aug. 7, 1845, daughter of Stephen & Mary (Webster) Hardy. Frank C. & Abby had three children: George Gerry b. Apr. 15, 1876, Esther b. Feb. 3, 1880 and Laura H. b. Aug. 1882.
Herman Sydney married Ella T, Ward b. 1856 daughter of Anthony & Sarah Ward. Sydney, as he was known by, and Ella also had three children: Emma Marie b. 1878, Leuella "Lulla" b. June 1881 and Frederick Sydney b. May 1884. The two families shared the farm and home their father Herman had built.
Apr. 11, 1873 Andover Advertiser – Herman Phelps is razing his old dwelling house in the same neighborhood and will erect a new two story residence on the site of the old one.
May 16, 1873 Andover Advertiser – While putting in the cellar wall of the new home of Herman Phelps, Ezra Farnham found a copper coin which is no doubt hundreds of years old. How it came there is of course a mystery.
H. Sidney Phelps died on July 19, 1883 of Peritonitis and his wife and children inherit his share of the farm. Brother John C. Phelps then purchased his brother half on Nov. 17, 1883. Ella and her children then moved to Lowell St. next door to her parents, Anthony & Sarah Ward. Frank C. continued to farm the land until his death on Feb. 16, 1904. He also died of heart disease at age 54. His wife Abby and children, George G., Esther and Laura H. continued to live in the homestead. Son George continued to work the farm, but tragically took his life on July 8, 1908 at age 32. Abby would later sell the farm to William B. Corliss on Jan. 24, 1918.
The Phelps farm was purchased from Corliss by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Co. on July 25, 1922. The Phelps - Corliss farm of about 110 acres would become one of the five working farms of the American Woolen Co. that supplied fresh milk, eggs, poultry and vegetables to the new Shawsheen Village community built by Wood. Wood resigned form the A.W.Co. in 1924 and the company then began selling off unrelated properties to the woolen manufacturing. The Former Phelps farm was sold in June 1925 to Ruth T. Stevens, wife of Carl H. Stevens. The homestead lot then contained nine acres of land.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See AHS vertical file
1994 photo by Robert & Elaine Pothier
Map plan - #1661 - Oct. 1946 - Stevens
Phelps Farm - Corliss Farm
Herman Phelps, wife Esther
Herman Phelps estate, heirs Herman Sidney & Frank C. Phelps - Oct. 11, 1878
Herman Sidney Phelps estate, heirs, Ella T., Emma M., Lulla, Fred S. - July 19, 1883
Frank C. Phelps = Nov. 17, 1883 - b. 74 p. 271
Frank C. Phelps estate, heir Abbie Jane Phelps - Feb. 16, 1904
William B. Corliss - Jan. 24, 1918 - b. 384 p. 20
William M. Wood - Feb. 9, 1921 - b. 447 p. 330
William M. Wood, Trustee of Arden Trust - July 25, 1922 - b. 459 p. 389
American Woolen Co. - Feb. 9, 1921 - b. 470 p. 437
Ruth T. Stevens, wife of Carl H. - June 2, 1925 - b. 512 p. 437
Harwood S. Belding & Lola Selley Belding - Nov. 2, 1946 - b. 691 p. 313
Arthur J. & Mary T. Lebreck - May 21, 1951 - b. 750 p. 566
Peter J. & Maria S. Moskos - Mar. 14, 1969 - b. 1126 p. 253
Karl & Linda F. Dalenberg - Jan. 6, 1983 - b. 1637 p. 315
Robert B. & Elaine M. Pothier - Aug. 16, 1985 - b. 2025 p. 216
Jeffrey S. & Laurie B. Imrie - Feb. 27, 1998 - b. 4977 p. 69
Joel E. & Betsy L. Brother -June 27, 2003 - b.7963 p. 258
|Street||High Plain Rd|
|Place||West Parish - West Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Herman Phelps Farm|
|Original Use||residence - farmhouse|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Wall/Trim||Aluminum siding & clapboard|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Modern garage|
|Demolition Details||1873 original Phelps house|
|Acreage||0.817 acre; lot size: 35,600 sq. ft.; approximate frontage on High Plain: 205', on Beacon: 425'|
|Map and parcel||88-50|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 4/30/2016|