Themes: Architectural; Community development
Howell Drive was developed by Fred E Cheever in 1956 when he connected Allen Court to Elm Street and the new Fosters Circle. The Allen Court name changed to Howell Drive in 1958, named for Mrs. Mary J. Howell who owned the property and homes on the court.
This property was once part of a larger parcel connected with the Gamaliel & Margaret M. Gleason home at 28 Summer Street. Margaret M. Gleason was deeded the property through George Foster on Aug. 17, 1869 from her husband Gamaliel. The property was then 4 acres 2 sq. rods and included the home on Summer St. Margaret held the property for about a year then selling to Charlotte C. Smith, wife of James H. Smith. The deed states to Charlotte Smith, "for her own use without interference from her husband and any of his debtors against it." Smith owned the property at #28 for 23 years.
Mary J. Howell, wife of James H. of Ballardvale purchased the property at 28 Summer St. on April 22, 1893 for $6500. It would be the Howells who developed the property along Summer St. when they purchased this property and lot to the east of their house in 1897.
Apr. 17, 1897 p1 Andover Townsman; p.5 – Building mover Wilson is moving two houses from Ballardvale to John Howell’s land on Summer Street.
Ballardvale – John Howell has moved his house, which was on the Plains, to Andover. He has also made arrangements to move his houses which are on Pole Hill to the same place.
April 23, 1897 AT - p 4. Editorial Cinders – If building mover Wilson has good luck, and one half the number of buildings called for by the largest tale, is moved from Ballardvale to Andover, there will be no further trouble about steamers, or railway, or a district share of town officials. They will all be up in the centre.
May 28, 1897 AT – William Driscoll has sold his house on Summer Street to John Howell, who will move it to his land on the new street. Mr. Driscoll intends to build a new house at the place of the old one.
The 1900 Valuation schedule of Mrs. Mary J. Howell's property includes house and barn at 28 Summer St. total $3000, the Driscoll House off Summer St. $700., and the Ballard Vale house off Summer St. $1000. 4 acres of land $2500. Howell also owned three more properties on Marland St. in Ballardvale.
As #5 Howell Drive is the oldest of the three homes Mrs. Howell owned, we believe the Driscoll House to be the home moved to the rear of the lot at #5 to create Allen Court. #7 would be the home moved from the Ballardvale Plains, which would have been on or off Woburn St. area where the South School is now located.
The deed line takes the property back to a Mary Sigourney in 1829 who sells the half acre lot to Merrill Petingill on Jan. 9, 1828 for #75. No mention of a building. Pettingill sells to Sylvester Bowman a Roxbury merchant, who then sells the property with building to William D. Stark, a butcher, on Sept. 1, 1845. Stark and wife Martha Ann paid $800. for the property.
It appears that Stark took a loan from the Trustees of the Ministerial Fund of South Parish and James H. Cochran, a blacksmith, as their names appear in the deeds. Stark sells to Oscar G. Ingalls, a carpenter, on Aug. 7, 1847. Ingalls paid $581. Ingalls may have improved the house as one year later he sells the home to Joshua Blanchard for $950. The 1850 Valuation Schedule list Blanchard's assessment as Dwelling house and adjoining 1 1/2 acre land at $800. The 1852 map of Andover shows J. Blanchard next to Henry F. Pasho on Summer St. In 1884 the map has W. D. Allen at the Summer St. location.
Walter B. & Eliza A. Allen purchased the property from Blanchard on June 25, 1870 and Allen owns for 17 years. Allen Court was named from this ownership. John D. Driscoll then purchased the home on April 9, 1887, held for ten year then selling to the Howells. Mary J. Howell, wife of James H. - had purchased the property at 28 Summer Street on Apr. 22, 1893. The "Driscoll" house was then moved back creating Allen Court which was a dead end until 1956. This home at #7 suggests circa 1870 - 1880 construction.
The Howells leased the homes on Allen Court then numbered #1 and #2. In 1932 this home was leased by Eugene V. & Isabelle K. Lovely. Eugene of "Pop" Lovely was a teacher at Punchard High School, football coach and later Principal of the high school. A beloved teacher, the current high school football field is named in his honor. Lovely later purchased the Batchelder home on Summer Street. In 1941 Burton A. & M. Edna Wheeler were the residents. Burton was a laborer. Burt Wheeler continued at this home until purchased by Fred Cheever in 1956. In 1953 Gerald A. & Genevieve Pelletier share the home with Bert who was then retired.
Gordon H. & Patricia S. Holdsworth purchased the property on Nov. 28, 1958 listed as #3 then and later changed to #7. Holdsworth were living at 361 North Main Street prior to moving here. Gordon b. 1917 was a foreman and wife Patricia b. 1921 a housewife. Holdsworth owned for 23 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852,1872, 1884, 1888, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules - 1900, 1910, 1920
Andover Street Directories
See plan #3478 - Apr. 1, 1957 - Fred Cheever - sub-division Howell Dr.
Howell Drive property line;
Mary Sigourney - 1828 - lot 1/2 acre land
Merrill Pettingill - Jan. 9, 1828 - b. 247 leaf 306 - lot $75.
Sylvester Bowman -
William D. Stark, wife Martha Ann - Sept. 1, 1845 - b. 361 leaf 227 -$800. buildings
James H. Cochran & Trustees of Ministerial Fund of South Parish -
Oscar G. Ingalls, wife Eliza A. -Aug. 7, 1847 - b. 388 leaf 236
Joshua Blanchard - Aug. 7, 1848 - b. 401 leaf 11 & 12
Walter B. & Eliza A. Allen - June 25, 1870 - b. p. 122
John D. Driscoll - Apr. 9, 1887 - b. 90 p. 22
Howell - 1897
William A. Howell - Nov. 8, 1924 - b. 506 p. 75
Fred E. Cheever - Dec. 17, 1956 - b. 847 p. 422 - #5 & #7 Allen Court
Gordon H. & Patricia S. Holdsworth - Nov. 28, 1958 - b. 884 p. 210
Allan J. & Julie H. Stratton - June 22, 1981 - b. 1512 p. 322
Robert N. & Katherine G. Wheeler - Jan. 9, 1991 - b. 3207 p. 25
Katherine G. Wheeler estate, Robert N. Wheeler, heir - Mar. 5, 1995 - probate
Patricia Q. Wheeler - Nov. 6, 1995 - b. 4382 p. 281
Brooke D. & Katherine G. Wagner - Mar. 28, 2001 - b. 6746 p. 330
David W. Joncas & Lauren E. Peters - June 21, 2004 - b. 8881 p. 200
Bryan A. Wood, & Anna E. Nivala - Aug. 26, 2008 - b. 11294 p. 49
28 Summer St. owners;
Margaret M. Gleason, wife of Gamaliel Aug. 17, 1869 - b. 779 leaf 261 Salem deeds
Charlotte C. Smith, wife of James H. Smith - July 14, 1870 - b. 5 p. 342
Mary J. Howell, wife of James H. - Apr. 22, 1893 - b. 124 p. 535
Mary J. Howell estate, John Howell heir
William A. Howell - Nov. 8, 1924 - b. 506 p. 75
Fred E. Cheever - Dec. 17, 1956 - b. 847 p. 422
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Acreage||0.554 acre; 24,140 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 115 ft.|
|Map and parcel||21-61|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, Nov. 3, 2015|