Craftsman cottage style
This property was once part the Faulkner homestead at 9 Lowell St. which was purchased by William M. Wood in 1914 from the Miller family. Wood later built the bungalow here on the sub-divided lot which included the corner parcel now occupied by the commercial block.
The first occupants of the bungalow were Mrs. Mary Ann (Chapman) Kaye, widow of Walter Kaye and her mother Sarah Chapman. Mary was born in 1861 in Lockwood, Yorkshire, England daughter of Sarah Chapman. Mary married in Milsbridge, on June 12, 1886 to Walter Kaye b. Jan. 19, 1861 in Kirkheaton, Yorkshire. Walter was the son of Simeon & Betty (Dransfield) Kaye. Walter worked in a woolen mill as did Mary as an operative. They had three daughters Laura b. 1887- d. 1887 and Edith b. 1888 d. 1889 and Dorothy b. Dec. 20, 1890. The Kayes with Mary’s mother Sarah immigrated to Boston on Oct. 7, 1897 on the S.S. Canada and settled in Frye Village. Walter was a wool spinner in 1897 and then a Percher in the Washington Mill of the American Woolen Co. in Lawrence. Walter later became an overseer of his department. They rented a home at 320 North Main St.
Walter & Mary had one son b. Aug. 23, 1898 in Andover, Frederick Thompson, but he died on July 30, 1899. Walter purchased a home on Haverhill St. from Mrs. Fannie S. Smith on July 3, 1907. Their daughter Dorothy graduated from Punchard High School in 1908 became a bookkeeper at the Washington Mills and later the Shawsheen Mill. Dorothy died on May 19, 1914 of pulmonary thrombosis at age 23. Her father Walter died at age 54 on Jan. 23, 1915 of heart failure.
Mary Ann Kaye would sell their home for $5000 to Henry P. Binney, agent for the American Woolen Co. on March 25, 1916. It appears that Mary and her mother Sarah remained in the home a few more years then moved into the new bungalow, built by William M. Wood at 7 Lowell St in 1920. The former Kaye house was moved to 22 Haverhill St. from at location east of York St. in the area of the parking lot of Brickstone Square now Andover Landing.
Sarah Chapman died Feb. 4, 1921 at age 83 and Mary Ann Kaye died on April 10, 1927. With the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 the property, held in the Arden Trust, was transferred over to the Phillips Corporation of Maine, J. Sumner Draper, pres. to liquidate all the holdings on Mar. 31, 1926.
Chester A. & Martha J. Johnson purchased the bungalow on Sept. 30, 1926. Chester was the chief electrical engineer for the Shawsheen Mill of the American Woolen Co. Chester Albert Johnson was born Apr. 30, 1882 in North Andover, son of William & Emma (Welch) Johnson. Chester marred on Aug. 30, 1913 in Portland, ME to Martha J. Ashton b. 1883 in Stuleybridge, England, dau. of Richard & Elizabeth (Hagne) Ashton. They had one daughter Doris Elizabeth b. 1915 in Calif.
Chester & Martha lived at 18 Riverina Rd. prior to moving here. They owned just four years selling to Esther, Florence and Susan Bredbury on Apr. 5, 1930. The Johnsons moved to Dufton Rd. then 18 Enmore Street.
The Bredbury sisters, Susan, Florence and Esther were the daughters of Joseph & Mary (Catlow) Bredbury. All were born in Cheshire, England. Susan b. 1879, Florence b. 1881 and Esther b. 1885 had three older siblings; Owen b. 1874, Thomas b. 1875 and Harriet b. 1878. Their father Joseph died in India in 1888 while on business. All the family immigrated in 1889 via Liverpool to Boston. Owen and Thomas arrived in February and Mary and daughters on Mar. 18, 1889. The family first settled in Lawrence where they all worked in the woolen mills. Thomas was named Agent of the Shawsheen Mill in 1921 and lived at 459 Lowell St. The sisters were wool twisters. Maud Bredbury born in Aug. 1890 lived with them, listed as a daughter. Harriet married as died the two sons. Mary and her youngest daughters later lived North Andover prior to coming to Shawsheen Village in 1930.
The Bredburys opened a bakery business in a small store on the corner lot named the Shawsheen Home Bakery. Susan was the proprietor and baker and her sisters worked with her which continued for twenty years. Their mother Mary died in 1940. Susan died on March 13, 1949 and Florence on Sept. 5, 1950. All are interred at Ridgewood Cemetery in North Andover. Esther Bredbury then sub-divided the property selling the corner lot with the store to Donald A. & Catherine P. MacNeil on Nov. 1, 1951. Esther sold the bungalow to Carl E. & Mary Helin on Sept. 6, 1951.
Essex Northern Regisrty Deeds, Lawrence
Andover Street Directories
Joseph & Lydia Faulkner
Lydia Faulkner – August 1831 – 1865
Lydia Faulkner estate, Lydia A. Faulkner and Guardian – April 18, 1866 – b. 704 leaf 162
Esther B. Cutler, wife of Herbert W. – April 18, 1866 – b. 704 leaf 163
William Miller – Oct. 30, 1885, rec. Feb. 24, 1888 – b. 94 p. 480
William Miller estate, Mary A. C. Miller heir & Trustee– Nov. 1897
William M. Wood – Jan. 13, 1914 – b. 337 p. 371
Arden Trust, Cornelius A. Wood, Tr. – Feb. 9, 1921 – b. 447 p. 330
Phillips Corporation of Maine – Mar. 31, 1926 – b. 520 p. 462 (parcel #8 p. 465)
Chester A. & Martha J. Johnson - Sept. 30, 1926 - b. 526 p. 403
Esther, Florence and Susan Bredbury - Apr. 5, 1950 - b. 552 p. 339
Susan Bredbury estate, Florence & Esther heir –Mar. 13, 1949 probate
Florence Bredbury estate, Esther heir – Sept. 5, 1950 - probate
Esther Bredbury, sole heir - Sept. 5, 1950 - probate
Carl E. & Mary Helin - Sept. 6, 1951 - b. 754 p. 216
Granville C. & Janet E. Guild - Sept. 4, 1958 - b. 879 p. 86
Paul M. & Janet Sheehan - Aug. 16, 1977 - b. 1316 p. 454
Janet Sheehan - Jan 1. 1981 - b. 1511 p. 298
Sonia V. Kacher - Jan 19, 1982 - b. 1557 p. 198
Kacher Property Trust, Sonia V. Kacher Tr. - Sept. 3, 1997 - b. 4851 p. 119
Sonia V. Kacher Life Estate - Apr. 16, 2004 - b. 8709 p. 238
Sonia V. Kacher Trust - Apr. 16, 2004 - b. 8709 p. 238
Daniel B. Armet - Apr. 29, 2011 - b. 12475 p. 282
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Johnson - Bredbury House|
|Construction Date||abt. 1918|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Major Alterations||Sub-divided the lot in 1951.|
|Map and parcel||52-89|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||May 23, 2015|