William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at Andover Town Meeting in March 1923 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1923 were Hubert A. & Mary E. Smith. Hubert worked for Youlden Smith & Hopkins in Boston. The home is vacant in 1928.
This house was sold to Elise G. King the wife of Harry H. A. King on Mar. 23, 1934. Harry H. A. King b. 1888 was in hosiery manufacturing in Lawrence. Elsie was born in 1896. Their neighbor Alfred Marum across the street at 6 William St. was also in the same business. The Kings owned the home for 29 years selling to L. Paul & Lucy Upson on Aug. 2, 1963. Linus Paul Upson was a Pharmacist and his wife Lucy a teacher. Lucy died on October 14, 1990. Paul Upson sold to Todd C. Beati & Erica M. Norris on June 30, 1993.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot 20 - Parcel 21
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel 21st.
Elise G. King, husband Harry H. A. King - Mar. 23, 1934 - b. 577 p. 56
L. Paul & Lucy Upson - Aug. 2, 1963 - b. 991 p. 8
Lucy Upson estate, L. Paul Upson, heir, - Oct. 14, 1990 - Probate
Todd C. Beati & Erica M. Norris - June 30, 1993 - b. 3770 p. 305
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Elsie & Harry King House|
|Construction Date||1920 - 1922|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Adden & Parker of Boston|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||hip - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-64|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|