Hip roof; pediment over door; 6/6 windows; 8 fireplaces
Original owner: Daniel Poor
Other owners: Abbot, John Radford (3-7-49); Abbot, Louise and David
Themes: architectural, community development
Built 1790 by Daniel Abbot on land originally belonging to George Abbot, who came from England to Andover in 1643. The first year Andover Theological Seminary opened, 1808, before the Commons were completed, Adoniram Judson, who was to become first missionary sent by American Board of Foreign Missions, boarded here, as did Squire Samuel Farrar. Rebekah Chickering, who taught history and literature at Abbot Academy, boarded here, as did her sister, Helen, also on the Abbot faculty. J. Radford Abbot, occupant and owner (1977), is an architect, and restored the house (in 1920's).
1994 update: Only Abbot house which has continually remained in the family ownership since it was built. (sold out of family in 1997). Built by Daniel though joining other Abbot Lands, adjacent Poor family lot. Daniel was the son of Ezra Abbot and Hannah Poor Abbot. Daniel Poor Revolutionary War vet.
1994 awarded Certificate of Appreciation for Preservation.
Later Ezra Abbot and his wife Margaret kept boarders (Caroline Abbot's father); Lydia and her children; Miss Phillips boarded there, broke the ceiling! Miss Chickering now lives there.
Directory of Andover, 1901
Andover Advertiser, Nov. 5, 1853, p.2
Andover Historical Society files
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
George E. Abbot and John Radford Abbot - inherit 1947
John Radford Abbot - Feb. 26, 1941 - b. 694 p. 345 - parcel B map #1714
John Radford Abbot Realty Trust - Apr. 24, 1981 - b. 1500 p. 16
John Radford Abbot Realty Trust, David M. Abbot trustee - Dec. 28, 1984 - b. 1911 p. 39
Abbot Trust No. 1, David M. Abbot trustee - Dec. 1, 1986 - b. 2408 p. 182
Central Abbot Realty Trust, Louise Abbot & Winifred E. Gardner trustees, Nov. 15, 1990 b. 3190 p. 257
Central Abbot Realty Trust, David M. Abbot trustee, - Apr. 4, 1997 - b. 4729 p. 280
Peter W. & Deborah R. Smith - June 30, 1997 - b. 4786 p. 227
Peter K. & Lynn W. Smiledge - Aug. 30, 1999 - b. 5541 p. 186
Amy H. Farabaugh & Rebecca Dalise - July 16, 2009 b. 11693 p. 213
See plan maps # 1718 - Nov. 1946 , # 7888, #12465 - Aug. 22, 1994
|Historic District||Central Street NRH District|
|Historic Name||Abbot, Daniel House|
|Construction Date||circa 1790|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||front and rear garages|
|Acreage||1.15 acres (2.24 acres before subdivision in 1998; Central frontage 189', Phillips frontage 325')|
|Map and parcel||74-5|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 4/2014|