73 Chandler Road

Architectural Description: 

Hip roof; polygonal dormer; recessed entry porch with shingled arching supports; 6/1 window sash
Very good, voluminous design from which projections seem to sprout organically. All encompassing roof.

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: agricultural, architectural, community development

This bungalow home is no longer on this site as it was razed in 2008 for the expansion of the St. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church complex and parking lot which now occupies the site.

The home was built sometime between 1892 and 1900. The property was once part of the Willard Durant farm at 141 Chandler Rd. and once contained 20 separate parcels of land totaling about 170 acres of land. The 1850 Andover Valuation lists Willard Durin in West Parish with house, barn & shed $480on 22 1/2 acres home farm $480., land and dwelling two houses in Frye Village $425. and $400 respectively. His farm stock was valued at $38.

The farm was eventually taken over by his son John Durant and upon his death inherited by his two children Anabella and John E. Durant, both minors at the time. John B. Scott, their guardian, sold the property through probate license on Sept. 6, 1892. The property was sold to Mary F. Fitzgerald for $1340 and included all buildings there on all 20 parcels of land. With a mortgage settlement with a John T. Sweeney, the property was then sold to her husband Daniel Fitzgerald on July 21, 1899.

Fitzgerald then sold off this parcel of 5 acres with buildings to Sarah A. Trauschke on June 15, 1900. It is most likely that the home was built for Sarah and her family. In May 1921 the property was transferred to William F. Trauschke and Roland E. Trauschke.

Fred W. Doyle purchased the triangular shaped property on December 1, 1928. Fred W. wife Irene raised their family in this home. The Doyles were carpenters and established their lumber company at this site. Doyle purchased a second adjoining lot to the east in January 1945 and in the 1960's expanded the operation building a large lumber storage building and workshop to the rear of the property. The Doyle’s built a new home south of the former house at 63 Chandler in the mid 1950's.

St. Constantine Greek Orthodox Society of Lawrence at 825 Essex St. purchased the Doyle property on Mar. 17, 1988. Doyle moved their business operation to River Rd. The new Church building, the St. Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church was built first, near the site of the lumber storage building. The bungalow house was used by
the church office space. In phase two of the expansion to the church for a function hall, kitchen and classroom space the remaining sheds and house were razed for parking in 2008.

Andover Directories:
1928 – 1930 no house listed
1932 Fred & Irene Doyle
1958 Fred W. age 60, Irene 57, Fred Jr. 30, Russell 26 & A. Ray 23, now listed at #63 Chandler.

The old Bungalow house was then rented.
1958 – 1960 Cyrill, Earlene G. 26, Frank P. Jr. 25 Salesman – (Tampa Fla. 1957)
1961 – 1962 Churchill, Ivan F. 1900, engineer & Marjorie G. 1904
1963 – 1965 Shann, Margurite 1910, William E. 1910, engineer, & Robert A. 1943 (No. Andover 1962)
1966 – 1968 Paul, Joseph J. 1934, carpenter, & Shirley J. 1935 (Harford, Conn. 1965)
1969 – 1973 Riberty, Raymond E. 1935 manager, & Karen I 1937
1974 – 1975 Nix, Grover H. 1943, attorney & Marcia A. 1944
1976 – 1985 Bebout, Richard L. 1929, salesman & Eloise A. 1927
1986 – 1986 Vacant
1987 – 1990 Bebout, Brian J. 1960 salesman & Joanne 1964, receptionist
Millson, Glenn D. 1961 correlator
Titus, Douglas M. 1962 consultant
1991 – 1994 Vacant
1995 – 1997 Martin, Dorothy A. 1941 receptionist & Lynne A. 1963 bartender
1997 – 1998 Martin, Lynne A. 1963 & Adam C. 1979.
1999 – 2000 Martin, Jonathan 1981.
2001 – 2003 Martin, Lynne, Jonathan & Adam
2004 - 2005 Greek Orthodox Church uses house for offices, out buildings, sheds and barn razed.
2005 - House to be razed for church expansion and parking.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories

Owners:
Willard Durant
Willard Durant estate
John Durant
John Durant estate, John B. Scott Admins. - Sept. 6, 1892 - Probate license
Mary F. Fitzpatrick - Oct. 28, 1892 - b. 122 p. 394
Daniel Fitzpatrick - July 21, 1899 - b. 171 pgs 440 - 441
Sarah A. Trauschke - June 15, 1900 - b. 178 p. 105 - 5 acres with blds.
William F. Trauschke and Roland E. Trauschke - May 5, 1921 - b. 439 p. 405
Fred W. Doyle - Dec. 1, 1928 - b. 543 p. 406 - 5 acres 108 sq. rods
Fred W. Doyle - Jan. 13, 1945 - b. 671 p. 62 - 4.48 acres - second lot
Doyle Lumber Co. Inc. Dec. 30, 1965 - b. 1051 p. 362
Doyle Lumber Co., Inc. Russell G. Doyle, Pres - June 24, 1974 - b. 1243 p. 594
Joyce B. Patracone - Nov. 19, 1984 - b. 1896 p. 97 - use of home
St. Constantine' Greek Orthodox Society of Lawrence - Mar. 17, 1988 - b. 2694 p. 79

Willard Durant 20 deeds;
Wentworth Winchester - Oct. 9, 1849 - b. 417 leaf 178 - two parcels
Daniel Saunders - May 25, 1868 - b. 749 leaf 70 - 24 acres 126 rods
David Gray - Dec. 25, 1862 - b. 749 leaf 166 - 22 acres - church site
William & Rhoda Bailey - Nov. 30, 1861 - b. ? p.? -10 sq. rods
Joseph Chandler - July 7, 1856 - b. 538 leaf 127 - 21 acres
Daniel Lovejoy - Aug. 15, 1866 - b. 749 leaf 68 - 8 acres on Lowell St.
Roger Blood - Mar. 17, 1854 - b. 491 leaf 181 - 12 acres 75 rods - "Chickering Meadow"
John B. Bailey - Aug. 11, 1865 - b. 749 leaf 67 - South of Haggetts Pond brook
Joseph Chandler - Dec. 30, 1864 - b. 749 leaf 66 - 5 acres 35 rods
Phillip Yeaton - Feb. 23, 1864 - b. 749 leaf 66 - 6 acres
Mary A. Wood - July 1, 1891 - b. ? p. ? - 5 acres
Benjamin Ames - Jan. 9, 1867 - b. 749 leaf 70 - 1 acre
Joseph Chandler - Nov. 6, 1852 - b. 469 leaf 18 - 6 acres "Sliles" Dam brook
Susan Stevens - Feb. 23, 1864 - b. 749 leaf 65 - 1 acre
Walter E. Hussey - Oct. 5, 1869 - b. ? p. ? - 1 acre 126 rods
Amos C. More - Apr. 8, 1867 - b. 749 p. 69 - 11 acres
John Tuck 2nd - Jan. 25, 1866 - b. 749 leaf 67 - 7 acres 75 rods
David A. Abbott, Adm. of Nathan Abbott 2nd estate - Mar. 28, 1871 - b. ? p. ? - 1 acre 100 rods
David A. Abbott Adm. of Nathan Abbott 2nd estate - Mar. 28, 1871 - b. ? p. ? - 1 acre 63 rods

Inventory Data:

StreetChandler Rd
PlaceWest Parish - West Andover
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameTrauschke - Doyle House
Present Useresidential/commercial
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1900
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleCraftsman/Bungalow
Foundationstone
Wall/Trimwood shingles
Roofasphalt - hip
Outbuildings / Secondary StructuresStorage buildings and barn
Major AlterationsHouse razed in 2008 for the expansion of the St. Constantine's Greek Orthodox Church complex
Conditionrazed - 2008
Demolition Details2008 razed for parking lot
Acreageless than one acre; approx. frontage 180'; approx. 30' from street
Settingresidential/business
Map and parcel105-4
Recorded byW. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered2/25/80, 1/28/2016

Images: 

Map: