73 Elm Street

Architectural Description: 

Queen Anne - Craftsman four square. - A transitional style home using a four square Craftsman body with Queen Anne embellishments, bay windows, porch and roof railings

Historical Narrative: 

Themes - Architectural, Community Development

The triangular parcel of land contained within Elm, Whittier and Summer Streets was once part of Capt. Nathaniel Whittier's estate. His homestead is at 10 Summer Street. Whittier's estate was sold by his heirs, Hannah E. Whittier and Mary W. Dickinson on April 13, 1900 to John H. Campion, an Andover merchant with a store on Elm Square. John Campion was also a business partner with Jacob W. Barnard and Barnett Rogers with land development.

The parcel contained 2 acres 151 sq. rods of land and the Whittier homestead. Champion, Barnard and Rogers divided the vacant land into 18 house lots and began selling them off. This parcel was lot #14 on Elm. The deeds
came with the following restrictions; " The land shall be used only for dwelling houses, and only one house to cost not less than $2500. shall be maintained there on. No old house shall be moved on to the premises. No building shall be placed nearer than twenty feet to the line of either street, but steps, piazzas, bay windows and porticoes may be projected into said space. No livery stable, private stable, manufacturing, mechanical or mercantile business shall be permitted during said term."

The lot was purchased by Andrew McTernen, wife Emma on Feb. 16, 1905 and included lot 15. Andrew McTernen then purchased lot 12 from Walter S. Rhodes on Sept. 21, 1905. McTernen then had the home built on lot 14. Portions of lots 15 and 12 were later sold off to abutters.

Andover McTernen was born on Dec.13, 1859 in Boston, son to Irish parents. He Came to Andover and worked at Tyer Rubber Co. in 1883 and later became Superintendent of TRCo. by 1893. Andrew married Emma F. Bodwell b. Nov. 1860 and they had two children; Alice M. b. May 1883 and Malcolm B. born May 1884. Malcolm went to M.I.T. became a dentist and opened his practice in Andover. Andover & Emma lived a 12 Florence St. prior to purchasing this lot. Andover would later become a Town Selectman. McTernen owned just four years then sold to Katherine C. Blanchard on May 14, 1909. McTernen then moved to 72 Whittier St.

Katherine Blanchard owned for eight years then selling to Alfred P. & Mary J. Quimby on Oct. 27, 1917 who then sold a year later to WIlbert J. Smith, wife Grace on Nov. 30, 1918. The Smith family were long term owners of 76 years. Wilbert was the proprietor of Smith Auto Sales in Lawrence, MA.


Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA

Nathaniel Whittier Estate, heirs Hannah E. Whittier & Mary W. Dickerson - 1900
John H. Campion - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 580
Jacob W. Barnard, John H. Campion, Barnett Rogers - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 581
Andrew McTernan, wife Emma - Feb. 16, 1905 - b. 218 p. 97 - lots 14 & 15
Andrew McTernan, wife Emma - Sept. 21, 1905 - b. 224 p. 501 - lot 12
Katherine C. Blanchard - May 14, 1909 - b. 273 p. 566
Alfred P. & Mary J. Quimby - Oct. 27, 1917 - b. 382 p. 306
WIlbert J. Smith, wife Grace - Nov. 30, 1918 - b. 393 p. 247
Grace E. Smith - June 21, 1933 - b. 570 p. 564
Grace E. Smith estate, First National Bank Boston, Trustees - Probate
Thomas F. & Theresa Medina - June 2, 1994 - b. 4059 p. 151
Robert R. & Reaney Dorsey Kunkler - Mar. 3, 2000 - b. 5701 p. 107
Kenneth & Juliann Murphy, Jr. - Feb. 15, 2001 - b. 6130 p. 108
Juliann Murphy - Mar. 25, 2011 - b. 12447 p. 130
Kenneth W. & Juliann V. Murphy, Jr. - Feb. 8, 2012 - b. 12808 p. 213

Inventory Data:

StreetElm St
PlaceAndover Center District
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NameMcTernan - Smith House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1905 - 1906
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleQueen Anne
Wall/Trimclapboards/wood shingles
Roofasphalt - hip
Major AlterationsPorch modifications, Large rear addition
Acreage0.193 acre
Map and parcel38-236
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-1977, 5/10/2016