overhanging 2nd story with decorative shingles; columned and pediment entry porch has plaster ornament in tympanum; pediment pavilions centered on each side; stained and leaded glass, stair hall oculus; pediment side entrance.
Excellently set on well-landscaped corner lot. Variety of textures, shapes, forms, materials is well balanced; eclectic but refined, compact form.
Themes - Architectural, Community Development
The triangular parcel of land contained within Elm, Whittier and Summer Streets was once part of Capt. Nathaniel Whittier's estate. His homestead is at 10 Summer Street. Whittier's estate was sold by his heirs, Hannah E. Whittier and Mary W. Dickinson on April 13, 1900 to John H. Campion, and Andover merchant with a store on Elm Square. John Campion was also a business partner with Jacob W. Barnard and Barnett Rogers with land development.
The parcel contained 2 acres 151 sq. rods of land and the Whittier homestead. Champion, Barnard and Rogers divided the vacant land into 18 house lots and began selling them off. This parcel was lot #13 at the corner of Elm and Whittier Streets. The lot was purchased by Elisha R. Barton and wife Annie M. Barton on May 1, 1901. The deed
came with the following restrictions;
" The land shall be used only for dwelling houses, and only one house to cost not less than $2500. shall be maintained there on. No old house shall be moved on to the premises. No building shall be placed nearer than twenty feet to the line of either street, but steps, piazzas, bay windows and porticoes may be projected into said space. No livery stable, private stable, manufacturing, mechanical or mercantile business shall be permitted during said term."
Barton had the home built and took a mortgage with the Andover Savings Bank for $3500. Barton owned the home for nine years then sold to Joseph L. Kline of Lawrence, MA on Jan. 17, 1910. The mortgage was carried with the deed. Kline leased the home to James C. Hunter for two years beginning on Nov. 5, 1910 and ending on May 15, 1912.
Kline however sold the property to Samuel Black, wife Etta of North Andover on Jan. 17, 1910 with the lease. Black held for 11 months then selling to Noah Hamel of Lawrence on Dec. 15, 1910. The deed was transferred to Noah's wife Elizabeth Hamel on Aug. 9, 1911.
Percival Dove, wife Alice purchased the house on Aug. 15, 1912. Percival was the son of George W.W. Dove and grandson of John Dove, of the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. Dove owned for six years then sold to James E> Kyle on Oct. 28, 1918. The Kyle family then became the first long term owners and residents for 38 years. With the passing of James E. Kyle the heirs sold the home to Thomas D. & Mary R.McQuade on Oct. 29, 1956. McQuades owned for 56 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Hannah E. Whittier & Mary W. Dickerson - 1900
John H. Campion - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 580
Jacob W. Barnard, John H. Campion, Barnett Rogers - April 13, 1900 - b. 176 p. 581
Elisha R. Barton, wife Annie M. - May 1, 1901 - b. 185 p. 208 - lot #13
Joseph L. Kline - Jan. 17, 1910 - b. 284 p. 313
Samuel Black - Jan. 17, 1910 - b. 285 p. 523
Noah Hamel, wife Elizabeth - Dec. 15, 1910 - b. 299 p. 342
Walter T. Rochfort - Aug. 9, 1911 - b. 308 p. 118
Elizabeth Hamel - Aug. 9, 1911 - b. 308 p. 119
Percival Daove, wife Alice B. - Aug. 15, 1912 - b. 320 p. 249
James E. Kyle - Oct. 29, 1918 - b. 392 p. 509
James E. Kyle estate - Probate #188579
Kyle heirs - William F., Anna Z., Dorothy A., James F., Marguerite, Lillian Kyle, Helen E. Murphy, Katherine K. Haggerty
Thomas D. & Mary R. McQuade - Oct. 29, 1956 - b. 844 p. 191
Mary R. McQuade - May 10, 1989 - b. 2931 p. 16
Mary R. McQuade Life tenancy - July 2010
McQuade Family Irrevocable Trust, Christopher E> McQUade, Trustee - July 2, 2010 - b. 12099 p. 43
Joseph & Jacqueline (Mumaugh) Krueger - May 23, 2012 - b. 12852 p. 197
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Barton - Kyle House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Wall/Trim||clapboard, wood shingles|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Acreage||0.363 acre; map 38, parcel 252. approximate frontage 90 ft. , approximate distance of building from street 20 ft.|
|Map and parcel||38-252|
|Recorded by||W .Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||2/28/80, 2/10/2016|