Abbott Village was established early in the 1800's with an adequate source of water to power the mills. Abel & Paschal Abbott moved their wool mill operation here from North Parish about 1813 and had a successful business until about 1838 when the market turned. The mill buildings were sold to Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. in 1843. The flax to linen thread company was established in Frye Village in 1830 (Shawsheen Village) and relocated up river to this location.
Smith & Dove recognized the need for operative housing and slowly acquired several homes in the immediate area. They also built quality housing for their working force at 62-84 Essex St. and the double homes on Brechin Terrace. Every home on Baker Lane was once owned by Smith & Dove. The company reorganized in 1864 and again in 1912 bringing all their properties together into one deed.
Smith & Dove Co. supplied their workers with a Village Hall (once on #77 Essex St.) for community gatherings, and built “Hillside” on Shawsheen Rd. for single women workers; provided childcare service, bowling alley, laundry and large dining room used for meetings and parities. S & D Co. also bought the old Cricket Field for the company soccer, football and baseball teams and sponsored many field day outings for their employees.
William H. Skinner conveyed all rights on Baker Lane to John Smith, President of Smith & Dove Co. on May 18, 1850. It was the first of eight properties acquired by the company on the lane between 1850 and 1918. This house and and the Thomas C. Foster house next door were acquired about 1867.
In 1927 the Smith & Dove Co. was sold to the Ludlow Co. The housing real estate was placed in the Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. that year, changing the name to Andover Homes, Inc. and the properties were then sold off into private hands. The company operations were moved to Ludlow, MA and the mill closed in 1928.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. deed changes in 1864 and 1912
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co., Geo. F. Smith, Pres. - Feb. 1, 1927 - b. 529 p. 587
Smith & Dove Tenements,Inc. Walter Amesbury, Pres, - Feb. 21, 1927 - b. 529 p. 587
Andover Homes, Inc. Walter Amesbury, treas.- Dec. 31, 1927 - b. 538 p. 354-356
Patrick & Mary Carney - May 9, 1927 b. 531 p. 564
Lawrence Cooperative Bank - July 1938 - b. 614 p. 19 poss.
Herbert W. & Bertha W. Folley - July 12, 1938 - b. 616 p. 541
Bertha W. Folley by will Herbert died May 15, 1981
Kenneth J. Wink - Mar. 30, 1994 - b. 4014 p. 188
Edwards Realty Trust, Cheryl R. & Bertram H. Edwards, Tr., Oct. 6, 1997 - b. 4862 p. 26
75 Essex Realty Trust, Barry Cunningham, Johanna Webster, Tr. Feb. 22, 2007
b. 10639 p. 138
A.G. S. Realty Trust LLC - July 25, 2013 - b. 13568 p. 195
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Present Use||Realtors Office|
|Construction Date||circa 1840|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Major Alterations||2007 Interior gutted and beams and fireplaces exposed Exterior renovated, new windows and siding. garage razed|
|Map and parcel||54-49|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 5/2014|