Style: Federal and Colonial Revival
The roof structure suggests that originally the house was a hip roof. The center dormer, rear ells and several porches have masked the Federal style home.
Present owner: Trustees of Phillips Academy
This home and property was once owned by Nathaniel B. Abbott and wife Mary. The 1850 Assessed Valuation Schedule list Nathaniel B. Abbott's property; Dwelling house $1100, Barn $200, Adjoining Buildings and 10 acres $650, 3 acre Mars peice $60, 17 acres Wood and pasture $450, and 5 3/4 acre Preston Plain $287, Farm Stock $93. Nathaniel sold the property of Edward C. Upton for $2500 on May 1, 1872. Edward Upton borrowed $1200. from Nathaniel B. who held the mortgage deed until paid. At the time of sale Nathaniel B. & Mary Abbott were living in Hadley, Hampshire County, MA.
Edward C. Upton was b. May 29, 1817 and married to Eliza B. b. Feb. 20, 1815 in NY. They had 4 children; Edward Wilson b. 1842 d. 1844, Eliza Matilda b. 1845 - d. 1848, Mary Lizzie b. 1854 -1908 and Martha "Mattie" A. b. 1857 - 1938. Edward was a Stone & Brick Mason. Mary is listed as a Music Teacher in the 1885 directory. The 1880 Census lists the four Uptons and four boarders; Kate Terhune 23, school teacher, Albra H. 23, farm laborer, Frederick Swanton 19, b. 1861 in ME, farm laborer and Susanna Farnham 67 b. 1813, widow. Edward owned the property for 22 years, selling to his daughters Mary Lizzie Upton and Mattie A. Swanton, wife of Albion F. Swanton of Lowell, MA on Oct. 30, 1894. Wife Eliza B. died on Oct. 2, 1894 and Edward died on Oct. 28, 1895. Both are interred at South Parish Cemetery. The property contained 9 acres and a meadow.
At some point the house was converted into a two family residence and former boarder Fred Swanton occupied one side of the house in 1906.
The deeds were transferred a few times during the sisters ownership. Mary Lizzie died June 16, 1908 and Mattie's husband Albion F. Swanton in Oct. 1911. Mattie then sold to Henry B. Prescott, wife Grace T. on Sept. 25, 1912.
Henry Prescott owned for four years then selling to Agnes Lane, wife of Theron H. Lane in Sept. 29, 1916.
Ann Lane began to divide up the property in Nov. 1923 creating 8 house lots along Salem St. to the south of the house. Appletree Lane was also developed on former land of the Abbott-Upton property.
The Andover Savings Bank foreclosed on the property on Aug. 2, 1937. On July 1, 1943 the Bank sold the house to Mary B. Walsh for $8000. and contained the 1.312 acres, house, barn garage and shed. Mary Walsh then sold to Thomas F. & Catherine A. Redmond on July 28, 1945.
In Feb. 1948 James A. & Gertrude M. Duffy purchased the property. Gertrude died on Aug. 18, 1975 and James Duffy died on May 17, 1989. James A. Duffy estate then went to their daughter Jane K. (Duffy) Collins in 1989.
Jane K. Collins then sold the property to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on Dec. 29, 1995
1830 map - structure, no owner listed
1852 map - N. Abbott - Nathaniel B. Abbott
1872 - N. Abbott
1884 - E. C. Upton, house and connected barn
1906 - Fred Swanton, house and 2 barns
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plans #1118 Nov. 21, 1923, plan #1428 - July 1943
Andover Maps - 1830, 1852, 1855, 1872, 1888, 1900
Nathaniel B. Abbott - b. 271 leaf 235 - Salem Deeds
Edward C. Upton - May 1, 1872 - b. 14, 259 - (9 acres)
Mary Lizzie Upton & Mattie A. Swanton - Oct. 30, 1894 - b. 136 p. 90
Stanley E. Qua - Jan. 17, 1908 - b. 257 p. 70
Albion F. Swanton & Mattie A. Swanton - Jan. 17, 1908 - b. 257 p. 71
Mattie A. Swanton & Bertha S. Bradford -
Henry B. Prescott, wife Grace T. - Sept. 25, 1912 - b. 322 p. 561
Agnes Lane, husband Theron H. - Sept. 29, 1916 - b. 369 p. 481
Andover Savings Bank - Aug. 2, 1937 - b. 609 p. 330 - poss.
Mary B. Walsh - July 1, 1943 - b. 658 p. 198
Thomas F. & Catherine A. Redmond - July 28, 1945 - b. 677 p. 413
James A. & Gertrude M. Duffy - Feb. 16, 1948 - b. 707 p. 336
James A. Duffy estate, Jane K. Collins Extr. - 1989 - b. 4105 p. 183
Jane K. Collins - by will of father James A. Duffy - Probate
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Dec. 29, 1995 - b. 4411 p. 311
|Place||Holt District - Old Cape District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||shed, barn|
|Major Alterations||porches, roof line altered with gable, barn razed abt. 2002|
|Map and parcel||42-31|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thebault, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Nov 1987, Mar 9, 2015|