Post WWII Ranch style home
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village.
The house, although not historic, is built in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The development of Linwood Street had been planed since the 1941 with a connection off Enmore Street to Dufton Rd. and then to Haverhill St. This property was lot#1 on the plan at the corner of Haverhill St. The Lot was purchased by George C. H. Dufton in October 1951 from the Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. Dufton was a local contractor and carpenter and developed much of Dufton Rd. The deed was transferred to Guaranteed Homes, Inc. on May 20, 1952 and construction of the home was underway in 1953.
George A. & Eva B. Shanteler purchased the home on Aug. 13, 1953. In 1961 George b. 1914 is listed as a Traffic Manager. Eva b. 1916 is a Count Checker. The 1972 directory lists George as a school bus driver. The Shanteler family continue as owners of record in 2015 now 62 years. Eva died on
Oct. 1, 1970 and George A. Shanteler died Aug. 13, 1976. The Shanteler children; David C., Paul J., John L., George A. Jr. Shanteler, Christine E. (Shanteler) St. Jean inherit the home. The property is then sold to their daughter Christine and husband Richard L. St. Jean on Jan. 27, 1978.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#2510 - Nov. 1951 - Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. lot #1
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 6th parcel
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co - Dec. 31, 1934 - b. 611 p. 77 - parcel 11
George C. H. Dufton - Oct. 11, 1951 - b. 756 p. 498
Guaranteed Homes, Inc. - May 20, 1952 - b. 763 p. 382
George A. & Eva B. Shanteler - Aug. 13, 1953 - b. 779 p. 306
Eva B. Shanteler estate, George A. Shanteler - Oct. 1, 1970 Probate
George A. Shanteler estate, Aug. 13, 1976
Shanteler Heirs; David C., Paul J., John L., George A. Shanteler, Christine E. St. Jean
Richard L. & Christine E. (Shanteler) St. Jean - Jan. 27, 1978 - b. 1331 p. 112
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||George A. & Eva B. Shanteler House|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Wall/Trim||shingle/wood/brick -vinyl covering|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||shed|
|Major Alterations||addition to west end of house, vinyl cladding over wood shingle sides and back, replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||19-103|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/20/2015|