A modern contemporary style retail space building with a copper faced mansard style roof, brick and glass facade.
Karl & Geneva Killorin purchased the former Dean House that stood on this site in April 1950. The Killorins rented apartments in the home and had their real estate office here. also Marie Holdsworth Antiques (1949). In March of 1965 the Town of Andover considered taking the property to expand the municipal parking lot and possibly build a new town office building on the site. The article did not pass at the town meeting.
The property was purchased by Danton Realty Trust in November 1965. Danton Realty then developed the new business block in 1966. The former Dean house was turned and moved to the rear of the property and the current business building was then constructed and attached to the Dean home.
Andover Townsman – Dec. 8, 1966 – "Danton Awaiting Steel Shipment – John Davidson of Danton Realty Trust said Wednesday that his company will begin construction of the new commercial building on the property adjacent to the Post Office in about five to six weeks, or upon delivery of structural steel.
Meanwhile, renovations to the old Killorin building will be underway to fit in with Danton’s plans for development of the entire site.
The company will construct a traditional brick-on masonry building on the frontage of the lot, which adjoins the municipal parking lot on Main Street. This building will be linked to the former Killorian building, now moved to the rear of the property.
The project has been held up for some weeks while the Zoning Board of Appeals considered Danton’s request for permission to incorporated additional apartments in the old building, in violation of zoning area requirements for residential use in the district involved.
Danton initially asked to add four apartments to the five already existing in the Killorian property. It later shaved this request by two, asking for a total of seven units
The Zoning Board released a decision this week authorizing a variance to permit seven apartments. Since Danton’s proximity to the municipal parking lot cuts into requirements for on-site parking, the developer can utilize more of the lot for construction that would otherwise be permissible.
Davidson reports that there will be three new retail stores in the new building and one in the rear...."
The first two tenants on Main Street were the "Andover House of Clean", dry cleaning service on the left and "Kenneth Thompson’s Office Products" on the right. Thompson's Paper Store was formerly located at #50 Main St. in the ARCO Building. Thompson’s then owned by Charles Caperonis, later relocated to #45 Main Street from this location in September 1985.
The Thompson store location became a bank branch for Warren’s Savings Bank, 1992, First Federal Savings Bank, Family Bank (1997) , for a few years then was leased by H & R Block Company.
The Andover House of Clean closed in 2007 and the store remained vacant for a few years. Andover (LeBlanc’s) Fine Wine & Spirits
(2011-2012), Verizon Wireless (2012)
Several other small businesses have taken space in the rear property at 77R. Andover Eye Care being a long time tenant in the former Dean House.
Online Computer Systems (1983), Andover Precious Metals (1981), The Book Room (1949), Olde Village Flower Shop (1986)
Jorand & Batal, interior design (1986)
In Back at 77R
Andover Eye Care, Olde Village Flower Shop, Klothes Kennel, Inc., Off the Rack, clothing (1972), La Contessa (1975). Privitera’s Clothing Design (2000/10)
Directories: 1926, 1932, 1943, 1953
Maps: 1852, 1872, 1884, 1896, 1906, 1930
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Major Abbot Walker - b. 1770 - d. Aug. 2, 1831 age 61
Rev. Justin Edwards - d. July 23, 1853 age 66
Lydia B. Edwards - d. Feb. 4, 1868 age 78
Edwards heirs - Dec. 9, 1868 - b. 3 p. 288-291- probate petition
Elizabeth & Lydia Edwards - Feb. 14, 1870 - b. 3 p. 288
Rev. Jonathan Edwards - April 27 1872 - b. 14 p. 125
George F. Swift - April 27 1872 - b. 14 p. 127
John H. Dean - Aug. 30, 1877 - b. 48 p. 83 - built house - died June 1892
Caroline A. Dean et ux
Charles E. Howland - Sept. 18, 1903 - b. 206 p. 201
Andover Savings Bank - May 9, 1910 - b. 289 p. 252
Mary G. Grout & Frank B. Grout - May 9, 1910 - b. 289 p. 252
Madeleine A. O’Leary & Gilbert Jackson Grout - b. by will
Ray C. Johnson - April 8, 1947 - b. 698 p. 227
George M. & Margaret C. Fuller - May 8, 1948 - b. 710 p. 100
Karl C. & Geneva H. Killorin - Apr. 10, 1950 - b. 732 p. 352
Danton Realty Trust; L. John Davidson, Phidios G. Dantos, Nicholas Aznoian - Nov. 1, 1965 - b. 1047 p. 208 New block
Felucca Realty Company - Feb. 23, 1967 - b. 1077 p. 302
Nicholas Aznoian - Sept. 30, 1970 - b. 1159 p. 721
Aznoian Investments - July 22, 2004 - b. 8978 p. 187
77 Main St. Properties
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Danton Building - House of Clean|
|Present Use||Retail / Commercial|
|Original Use||Retail / Commercial|
|Architect/Builder||Danton Realty Trust|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Former John Dean House attached on the rear 77R|
|Move Details||John H. Dean House moved 1966|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Setting||commercial business district|
|Map and parcel||55-128|
|Recorded by||Brian Lee (cwo), James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||July 1992, 4/2014|