4-family apartment house
Subsequent uses: apartments
Themes: architectural; community development
In early deeds this property is referenced as the "Dillaway Place" and may have been owned by William Dillaway b. 1751 who married on April 10, 1781 to Mary Wardwell. William died July 5, 1812. The property was owned by Simon Wardwell at the time of his death on Sept. 23, 1842. Wardwell lived in the Salem St. area.
William Bell purchased the property at auction on for $1030 and deeded the house on May 15, 1843. William Bell was born in England in 1798 where he married Anne Lawrence on Sept. 24, 1828 in Cumberland, England. They had two children born in England; Robert b. 1829 and John b. 1830. They came to Andover in the 1830's and had six more children; William Henry b. Dec. 31, 1837, Isabelle Jane bp. Oct. 21, 1838, Joseph William b. Sept. 18, 1839, Anne Maria bp. Jan. 23, 1842- d. 1856, George Webster bp. Apr. 10, 1846 and Joshua b. Nov. 9, 1845.
William Bell is listed as a Manufacturer in the 1850 census. The 1850 Valuation Schedule lists Wm. Bell: Dwelling house and barn $1400, Dillaway House and shed $500. 10 acres $700 = $2600. Farm Stock $40. The 1855 State census list Bell as a farmer. William died on April 7, 1856 and was interred in Christ Church Cemetery. The estate went to his wife Anne and children. Son William Henry would purchase the property from his siblings in May 1859 but his mother held a life estate. The 1860 Valuation lists Wid. Ann Bell: Old house & 3 acres $820. William H. Bell: Dwelling house, barn, adjoining bld., 2 acres = $1510. William H. later sold the house at 20 Harding St to Thomas C. Shattuck for $1675 on April 10, 1861 and Shattuck to Nathan Frye in 1865.
The 1870 Valuation lists Ann Bell: House $450, 3 acres $400.
James Muldowney purchased the property at 20 Harding St. from Frye on Feb. 8, 1882 for $2500. His family lived there. On Sept. 24, 1883 Muldowney purchased the Bell property at 78 – 80 which contained 3 lots. It is interesting to note that on the 1882 Birdseye Map of Andover Center this home is drawn facing Harding Street. High Street from the intersection to Haverhill St. was the old railroad bed of the Andover - Wilmington Railroad from 1838-1848. It was made into a public way about 1850 after the rail line was moved west to its current location.
Muldowney may have moved the house to the current position, remodeled and converted into a four family home. The properties were sold off separately and Katherine McNally purchased this tenement home on Dec. 22, 1890. The property remained in the McNally family for 71 years then willed to St. Augustine's Church.
Mill tenement architecture had wrought strong influence at this period; its practicality in inexpensiveness of building and as an income property being obvious, so that by late 19th century, private parties were having tenements constructed as rental properties. This sort of architecture is significant historically, indicating the rapid growth of the town.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See Plan 7761 – Nov. 15, 1977 - Mullett
Lot #1 = 20 Harding St.
Lot #2 = 84 High St.
Simon Wardwell estate, died Sept. 23, 1842 - Moses Foster - Probate
William Bell, wife Anne - May 19, 1843 - b. 337 leaf 262 - $1030 - 12 acres w/blds ("Dillaway Homestead")
William Bell estate, - Apr. 7, 1856 - Bell heirs
William H. Bell & John Bell - July 1, 1859 - b. 593 leaf 1
William H. Bell - May 17, 1859 - b. 593 leaf 2
James Muldowney - Feb. 8, 1882 - b. 67 p. 305 - $2500
James Muldowney - Sept. 24, 1883 - b. 73 p. 178-9 - Bell lots
James J. Muldowney - Feb. 13, 1890 - b. 105 p. 112
Muldowney Trust - Feb. 21, 1890 - b. 105 p. 159
Katherine McNally - Dec. 22, 1890 - b. 110 p. 47
Joseph W. McNally Consr. for Annie McNally -
Annie McNally Estate, Joseph W. McNally Adm. - Aug. 1, 1945 - b. 675 p. 132 Probate
Joseph W. McNally - Aug. 7, 1945 - b. 675 p. 131 - 132
Joseph W. McNally estate, - July 3, 1961 - b. 939 p. 276
Father John F. Mc Carthy, St Augustine's Church - June 30, 1961 - b. 939 p. 276 - - by Will
Father Henry B. Smith, St Augustine's Church successor -
William & Ida M. Silva - July 16, 1970 - b. 1157 p. 781
Wallace E. & Thomasine E. Rundge, Jr. - Apr. 12, 1971 - b. 1168 p. 759
78 - 84 High St. Realty Trust, Wallace E. & Thomasine E. Rundge, Jr. - July 2, 2002 - b. 6925 p. 112
20 Harding St.
Thomas C. Shattuck - Apr. 10, 1861 - b. 631 leaf 20 - $1675
Nathan Frye, wife Amanda - Sept. 13, 1865 - b. 690 leaf 101
|Place||Andover Center - Marland Village|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||William Bell House - "Dillaway Place"|
|Present Use||residence - 4 apartments|
|Construction Date||1830 - 1840|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding, replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||20-3|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 4/15/2016|