Plaster and cornice returns
Themes: Architectural, community development.
Carriage house is former firehouse, originally on Main St.
See Vertical File 1. streets./structures - 78 Maple and 2. Town: fire dept.
This property was once owned by John H. Flint and the lot was sold to N. Emiline Cole, wife of George S. Cole on April 30, 1883. George S. Cole was a carpenter, contractor and business partner of Lewis Hardy in the firm Hardy & Cole. They purchased the former Abbott and Jenkins company on Essex St. and later moved the business operation to the Low Estate at 70 North Main St. Hardy & Cole developed Lewis St. and Buxton Court and owned most of the land that the current Town Yard occupies.
George Cole built this house and the same year purchased the former Shawshin Fire house at 70 Main St. and had it moved to this property. It was used as a carpenter shop and carriage house - See Shawshin Firehouse. The property was in his wife's name N. Emiline Cole.
March 4, 1892 p1 AT - Geo. S. Cole, past 20 years carpenter & builder in this town, has decided to retire to devote his duties as deputy sheriff, real estate agent and an auctioneer. To keep office at his home on Maple Avenue and 272 Essex St. Lawrence. Short history – also bought old fire house and moved it.
Cole sold to John P. Wakefield in Oct. 1893. J. P. Wakefield was a very successful Andover Merchant operating a butcher shop and grocery store. Once on the corner of Main and Park then later across the street in the Carter Block on Elm Sq.
After Wakefield's death the property went to his heirs. Ella A. Cameron, wife of Benjamin. an heir, got the property in Nov. 1923. She died in 1925, intestate, and her husband Benjamin inherited through the probate courts. Benjamin later remarried and the property was placed in his and wife Pauline's name in in 1947. sadly Pauline died on Oct. 23, 1951 and Benjamin then sold to Herbert M. & Irene Peck in May 1958.
The Peck family owned for 20 years then sold to Kristi & David Campion on July 26, 1978. They held the property for 18 years then sold to Christopher E. & Mary Lewis Chiodo in 1996.
Cynthia J. Martini & Robert Van Andel pruchased the property in Dec. 1998 and are the current owners. They have don extensive restoration the the home and Firehouse.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
John H. Flint
N. Emiline Cole, wife of George S. Cole - Apr30, 1883 - b. 72 p. 13 lot of land
John P. Wakefield - Oct. 14, 1893 - b. 128 p. 585
Isabella Sarah Wakefield, heir
Ella A. Cameron, wife of Benjamin Cameron - Nov. 12, 1923 - b. 492 p. 74
Ella A Cameron estate. Probate.
see Dorothy Benson _ Feb. 27, 1939 - b. 621 p. 383
see Barbara Cameron - May 10, 1939 - b. 622 p. 130
Benjamin F. Cameron by Probate 1923
Benjamin F. & Pauline Cameron - June 14, 1947 - b. 698 p. 547
Benjamin F. Cameron, Oct. 23, 1951 Pauline died
Herbert M. & Irene V. Peck - May 13, 1958 - b.872 p. 454
Kristi L. & David Campion - July 26, 1978 - b. 1346 p. 368
Christopher E. & Mary Lewis Chiodo - May 27, 1996 - b. 4506 p. 269
Cynthia J. Martini & Robert Van Andel - Dec. 14, 1998 - b. 5265 p. 299
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||George S. & N. Emiline Cole House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||Cole, George S.|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||carriage house at rear, former "Shawshin Fire House|
|Acreage||18,010 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 95'|
|Map and parcel||38-161|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, Nov. 22, 2014|