Queen Anne style cottage
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company.
and is one of a few properties not acquired by the American Woolen Co.
This house lot was once a four acre parcel that was owned by William Peters who held the mortgage. Peters sold the property mortgage for $294.26 to Sybil Hardy, wife of Isaac M Hardy on September 9, 1874. The property contain a 1 1/2 acre lot with dwelling house on the north side of Haverhill Street and the four acre lot across the street at 79 Haverhill St. After the death of her husband Isaac Sybil sold the parcels to Charlotte A. Thomas, a widow on Nov. 11, 1885.
Charlotte held for one year then sold to Henrietta B. N. Bosworth, wife of Louis H. on June 11, 1886. A year later the property was purchased by George Mander on Sept. 23, 1889. George Mander owned for 15 years. Mander was noted for his gardens. In June 1904 Mander sold off his 4 acre parcel to Frank E. Wilkinson of Lawrence, MA. It appears that Wilkinson built the home at 79 Haverhill St. Frank died in 1908 and his wife Marion L. then sold the home to Mary E. Colman, wife of Ralph Coleman on Aug. 11, 1908.
Maurice J Curran and John Joyce purchased the home on July 3, 1913 then sold to Bernard J. Reilly the same day. The Rielly family continues as owners of record in 2015 now 102 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
William Peters -
Sybil Hardy, wife of Isaac M. Hardy - Sept. 9, 1874 - b. 30 p. 162 - $294.26 - two lots
Charlotte A. Thomas - Nov. 11, 1885 - b. 85 p. 587 two lots
Henrietta B. N. Bosworth, wife of Louis H. - June 11, 1886 - b. 86 p. 482 - two lots
George Mander - Sept. 23, 1889 - b. 103 p. 582 - two lots
Frank E. Wilkinson, wife Marion L. - June 29, 1904 - b. 214 p. 59 lot 2 - 4 acres
Frank E. Wilkinson estate, wife Marion L. Admin. heir- Aug. 6, 1905 - Probate
Mary E. Coleman - Aug. 11, 1908 - b. 264 p. 470
Maurice J. Curran & John Joyce - July 3, 1913 - b. 332 p. 186
Bernard J. Reilly, wife Mary - July 3, 1913 - b. 335 p. 345
Bernard L. Reilly estate, wife Mary - Feb. 4, 1943 - b. 656 p. 517
Reilly estate, heirs, Mary A., Helen F., Catherine R., James J., John A. Reilly and Margaret M. Hanley - quit claim
Mary Reilly & Helen F. Reilly - Aug. 23, 1961 - b. 943 p. 184
Mary Reilly estate, Helen F. Reilly heir
Helen F. Reilly and James S. Reilly - Dec. 5, 1989 - b. 3100 p. 275
Helen F. Reilly estate, James S. Reilly heir - b. May 21, 1997
James S. & Jane Reilly - May 8, 1998 - b. 5046 p. 267
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards/asbestos shingle covering|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Two stall garage|
|Major Alterations||Asbestos shingles cover original wood clapboard and wood shingle siding|
|Map and parcel||19-101|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/18/2015|