79 Shawsheen Road

Architectural Description: 

Queen Anne style - overhanging 2d & 3d stories; gabled and pedimented pavilions centered on each side; pediment & columned front porch; front and side bay windows; rear porch; stained glass.

Historical Narrative: 

Themes - Architectural and Community development. Sophisticated, restrained design. Play of light and shade, movement of planes very important; emphasis on interior space.
This land was once part of the Peter D. Smith estate "Forest Hills". Deed references lot near the gardener's barn. The lot was purchased from Peter D. Smith in April 1898 by Arthur Trull Boutwell who built the Queen Anne style home. Both Smith & Boutwell were active members in West Parish Church. Arthur and wife Susan N. (Molther) owned the property for 58 years. Arthur died in Sept. 1940 and his wife Susan in July 1956. Both are interred at West Parish Garden Cemetery. Samuel A. Boutwell was the exectutor of the estate and sold to Peter & Elinor Olney in October 1956. The home was then purchased by Stephen R. & Ruthy A. Olney in Jan. 1992 who continue as the owners in 2013


Peter D. Smith – 1898 – land
Arthur Trull Boutwell – Apr.28, 1898 – b. 162 p. 420
Arthur T. & Susan M. Boutwell – Nov. 11, 1904 – b. 216 p. 489
Arthur T. Boutwell estate – died Sept. 5, 1940
Susan M. Boutwell, estate died July 17, 1956
Samuel Arthur Boutwell , Extr. – Oct. 18, 1956 – b.
Peter N. & Elinor B. Olney Jr. – Oct. 26, 1956 – b. 844 p. 215
Stephen R. & Ruth A. Olney – Jan. 15, 1992 b. 3385 p. 61

Inventory Data:

StreetShawsheen Rd
PlaceWest Parish - West Andover
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameArthur T. Boutwell house
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1898
SourceAndover Bldg. Survey
Architectural StyleQueen Anne
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimclapboard/wood shingles
Outbuildings / Secondary Structures20th century garage
Acreage1.04 acres, 45' frontage, 20' from street.
Map and parcel54-62
MHC NumberANV.642
Recorded byW. Frontiero, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered2/28/80, 1/2014