This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 was a J. B. Gillen who is listed on the street index but not in the 1926 directory.
This house was sold to Howard C. & Margaret E. Watts on Dec. 7, 1938. The ASRCo. held the Watts mortgage and also included in all deeds, that should the owner sell the property before Jan. 1, 1948, except to a relative or qualified buyer, the Andover Shawsheen Realty co had first refusal to purchase it back. The Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. took the option on Mar. 26, 1940. and resold the property to Raymond F. & Beatrice Moore on Aug. 1, 1940.
On July 26, 1943 James J. & Mary A. Faggiano purchased the property. James was an investigator for the First National Bank in Boston.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot # 32
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 14th parcel
Howard C. & Margaret E. Watts - Dec. 7, 1938 - b. 620 p. 21
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - Mar. 26, 1940 - b. 629 p. 443
Raymond F. & Beatrice Moore - Aug. 1, 1940 - b. 633 p. 183
James J. & Mary A. Faggiano - July 26, 1943 - b. 659 p. 40
James C. & Elizabeth H. Prout - Feb. 28, 1950 - b. 916 p. 329
Harold & Dorothy Heifetz - June 13, 1960 - b. 916 p. 329
Dorothy B. Heifetz - Jan. 2, 1979 - b. 1365 p. 38
Robert N. & Cyrena C. Rogers - Apr. 3, 1989 - b. 2910 p. 146
Robert N. Rogers estate, Cyrena Chiles Rogers heir - May 6, 1990
Arthur L. & Maryann Derbyshire - Dec. 31, 1991 - b. 3372 p. 113
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Watts - Moore House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Major Alterations||Replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||36-44|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/8/2015|