Cornice is bracketted and dentilled
Themes: architectural; community development
In 1990 the street name was changed from High Street in Ballardvale to High Vale Lane to avoid confusion with High Street in Andover Center. In 1958 several streets were re-numbered to plan for future building infill.
To understand the deed references, one needs to know that in the 1860s this area from High Vale Lane eastward to Woburn Street along the south side of Andover St. had been laid out for development in two separate sections. The "Ella R. Anderson Tract" contained 89 small lots of about 50' x 100' in size bounded by High St. (High Vale Lane), Andover St., and included new roads named Anderson Ave, Eames Ave, Reynolds, Priest and Dexter Streets. They we laid out but never constructed. The second development called "East Vale" extended to Woburn St. (Called the Wilmington Road) and included new roads named First, Second, and Third Streets running parallel to Andover St. and Preston St. intersecting the development down the middle. Today they are considered "Paper Streets" but still referenced in property deeds. A map below in 1906 gives a visual reference to the mentioned developments. These lots were larger in size.Ella R. Anderson and her husband Josiah J. Anderson acquired the property from Elizabeth Ryley wife of George W. Ryley in 1866. Most lots were sold off in multiple groups of two, four or six.
When Elizabeth Ryley sold the large track of land to Anderson the deed included the following restrictions; ...that no liquor store, slaughter house or other offensive building or occupations shall be allowed on the premises within twenty years from this date, and that all buildings erected on said premises shall be set back at least twenty feet from the line of the street." As for the houses built "It is agreed that the grantee is to erect a good & substantial dwelling house of not less than two stories in height within one year of this date on one or more of the lots here in named."
The Andersons began selling off parcels and this property, a corner lot, #268 facing on High Vale & lot #269 behind on "Eames Ave" was sold to Allen Stone, wife Elvira A. of Revere, MA, on July 27, 1876. The deed states that the house must be built in four month of this date. The combined lots equaled 10,875 sq. ft. Stone may have been a contractor as hr sell the property on Dec. 4, 1876 to Annette E. Brown of Waltham, MA for $3500. Brown held the property just four months then selling to father & son Jonas H. Priest & Herman E. Priest. also of Waltham, on Mar. 8, 1877. Priest payed $3500. It is also interesting to note the "Priest" is one of the names off the Anderson Track development.
Jonas H. Priest died intestate in 1886 and we assume that his widow Laura B. was included in the estate along with their Herman E. Priest. Herman & wife Anna hold on to the property for 25 years and at the time of sale mention that his mother Laura is now deceased. Herman is still a resident of Waltham, MA.
Roger S. Tracy purchased the property from Priest on Oct. 25, 1911. Roger, a bachelor, deeds the property to his nieces Martha D. Byington & Emily B. Tracy on Nov. 21, 1917. Roger however included a "life tenancy" for himself. Martha D. Byington was the daughter of George P. & Anna T. Byington, who lived next door in the stone cottage. Martha died on June 17, 1950 and Emily B. Tracy of NYC, inherits the property.
Emily Tracy sells to Albert T. Warner on Sept. 7, 1950. Albert & wife Noreen H. would own the home for 14 years. Warner sells to J. Paul & Faith M. Herbert on July 17, 1964. and three years later were relocated to Yorba Linda, California. Thomas A. Jr. & Patricia M. Emmons then purchased on May 10, 1967. On Dec. 4, 1973 the property is in Patricia M. Emmons name, she was Patricia M. (Emmons) Roderick at the time of sale to Stephen J. & Mary Susana Bamford on June 15, 1976.
Timothy W. Barash & Lynn McMillian purchased the home on Nov. 30, 1979 and later married. Tim was actively involved with the establishment of the Ballardvale Local Historic District. Barash held the property for 35 years. The property was enlarged to the rear by acquiring 13 other lots; #270, 271, 272, 274-277 and 242 - 247.
In 1900 Mr. Priest is listed as residing in Waltham such that this house may have been rented by BV Mills employees.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Ballardvale Map 1906
1884 atlas of Andover
Birds Eye View of Ballard Vale 1885 - Map detail
Lots #268 - 269
May, 1991, Andover Preservation Award
Map plan #42451 B - June 28, 2004 - lot 1
Map plan #42451 A - July 5, 1944 & Nov. 7, 1988
George Ellis - Aug. 14, 1854 - b. 499 leaf 157
George J. Tenney & Samuel Little - Apr. 27, 1864 - b. 666 leafs 37-41
Elizabeth Ryley, wife of George W. Ryley - b. 679 leafs 74 - 75
Ella R. & Josiah B. Anderson - July 28, 1875 - b. 36 p. 35
Allen Stone, wife Elvira A. - July 27, 1876 - b. 42 p. 117
Annette E. Brown - Dec. 4, 1876 - b. 44 p. 65
Jonas H. Priest & Herman E. Priest - Mar. 8, 1877 - b. 45 p. 188
Jonas H. Priest estate, heir son Herman E. Priest - 1886
Herman E. & Anna Priest of Waltham, MA
Roger S. Tracy - Oct. 25, 1911 - b. 310 p. 479
Martha D. Byington & Emily B. Tracy - Nov. 21, 1917 - b. 382 p. 474
Martha D. Byington estate, heir Emily B. Tracy - June 17, 1950 - Probate
Albert T. Warner - Sept. 7, 1950 - b. 741 p. 77
Albert T. & Noreen H. Warner - Nov. 3, 1952 - b. 767 p. 576
J. Paul & Faith M. Herbert - July 17, 1964 - b. 1014 p. 104
Thomas A. Jr. & Patricia M. Emmons - May 10, 1967 - b. 1081 p. 491
Patricia M. (Emmons) Roderick - Dec. 4, 1973 - b. 1233 p. 75 - 76
Stephen J. & Mary Susana Bamford - June 15, 1976 - b. 1284 p. 129
Timothy W. Barash & Lynn (McMillian) Barash - Nov. 30, 1979 - b. 1408 p. 65
Timothy W. & Lynn M. Barash - Nov. 6, 1986 - b. 2352 p. 308
Timothy W. & Lynn M. Barash - June 30, 1994 - Certificate #11976
Timothy W. Barash - Dec. 7, 2001 - Ctf. #13812
Rio & Olguida E. Sacchetti - June 30, 2013 rec. July 14, - Ctf. #17135
|Street||High Vale Ln|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Acreage||2.23 acres; approx frontage 100'|
|Map and parcel||139-36|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/9/2016|