8 Judson Rd

Architectural Description: 

Colonial Revival, Georgian Revival.

Historical Narrative: 

8 Judson Rd. Edwin T & Lillian Brewster House built 1915

Judson Road was named for Adoniram Judson, pioneer missionary trained at Andover Theological Seminary who was sent to India by American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. Judson was later sent to Burma as representative of American Baptists. Road opened in the 1920s when the Leonard Wood house was moved from Bartlet Street in 1920's (Bessie Goldsmith). Bessie claims that the Wood house and the brick Brewster House were the only houses on street until early 1950's.

In 1908 the Trustees of Phillips deeded 21 parcels of land to Andover Theological Seminary on July 1, 1908. The Seminary sold off house lots with the following deed restrictions. Only single family dwelling homes adapted to the use of one single family, only outbuildings as commonly used with a dwelling house, including private stable and private automobile garage. Dwelling shall not cost less than $4000 above the foundation, any stable should not cost less than $1500 above the foundation. Any elevation plans and location of building must be approved by the trustees. No Inn, hotel store, shop or livery stable shall be erected on the lot, No mechanical or manufacture. The restrictions to remain for 999 years.

The property at #8 Judson Rd is comprised of lot #6 and a portion of lot #7. It was purchased by Edwin T. & Lillian Brewster on May 25, 1915. The Andover Directory of 1916 lists the Brewsters at Judson Road, so their home was the first built on the street in 1915.
Andover Townsman - July 23, 1915 - "Edwin T. Brewster has the "batters" up for his house on the new street running east from Bartlet street, on the Academy trustee's land. This house occupies the first lot on the left, beyond Mr. Melladge's. A.B. LeBoutillier is the architect. It is understood that this new street, which is untimely to extend eastward and swing around Rabbits Rock, near the Memorial Missionary Boulder, is to have the appropriate name of Judson road."

Edwin Tenney Brewster was born Oct. 11, 1866 in Lawrence, MA, son of John L. & Adeline A. (Tenney) Brewster. John L Brewster was Superintendent of Schools in Lawrence. Edwin attended Lawrence Public Schools, then Harvard University where he received his BA 1890 and Masters 1891 in Science and Zoology. Edwin was a teacher of sciences at Brewster Free Academy, Wolfeboro, NH 1891-1893. Edwin married on Aug. 30, 1893 in Boston to Alice Sophia Rollins b. May 8, 1862 in West Roxbury, dau. of James W. & Sophia (Robb) Rollins. They had four children; Ada b. July 5, 1898, William Rollins b. Feb. 17, 1901, James Rollins b. July 21, 1902 and Nellie R. b. 1904.
Wife Alice died in Andover on Dec. 30, 1910.
Edwin remarried on Aug. 4, 1912 to Lilian Edna Dodge b. Sept. 4, 1882 in Ellsworth, ME, dau. of Ernest A. & Sophia (Your) Dodge. Lillian was a Nurse.

Edwin was an author and teacher at Phillips Academy from 1897-1903 and 190_ - 1908. A fellow of the American Assoc. for Advancement of Science. Listed in “Who’s Who among North American Authors” and was holder of the Carnegie medal.
A list of his works include: Natural Wonders Every Child Should Know, The Life and Letters of Josiah Dwight Whitney, 1909, Swimming, 1910, The Child's Guide to Living Things, 1912, The Nutrition of a Household (jointly with wife), 1915, Vocation Guidance for the Professions 1918, The Understanding of Religion, 1924, What Laymen Want, 1925, Creation – A History of Non-Evolutionary Theories, 1917 and This Puzzling Planet, 1928.
Edwin was also editor and joint author of various unsigned scientific and educational works, a contributor to Youth’s Companion, McClure’s Good Housekeeping and Outing magazines, Atlantic Monthly, World's Work, St Nicholas, etc and the Boston Transcript.
Member of Boston Society of Natural History, AAAS, American Society for Physical Research.

The Brewsters sold their home on October 22, 1954, to Francis E. & Elizabeth Ann Steinert. Edwin Brewster died on March 14, 1960, in Fryeburg, ME and is interred at Dartmouth Cemetery, Hanover, NH. His widow Lillian died in 1974 in Brownfield, ME.

Francis Edwin Steinert was born March 6, 1918 in Lawrence, MA, son of Edwin H. & Bertha L. (Hadley) Steinert. Francis graduated from Lawrence High in 1935, attend Wentworth Institute in Boston. He was a house carpenter and president of O. E. Steinert Co. of Lawrence, MA. Francis served in the Navy during WWII. Was a 32nd Degree Mason of the Grecian Lodge of Masons, Lawrence. Francis married Elizabeth Ann Ralton b. May 19, 1921 in Lawrence, MA dau. of Francis A. & Helen S (Koerner) Ralton. They had two children: Ellen Elizabeth b. Sept. 9, 1947 and Roger Francis b. Dec. 8, 1950. Francis was elected to the Building Committee for the new South School but died on April 5, 1958 at Baker Memorial Hospital in Boston. The family were members of Grace Episcopal Church in Lawrence. Francis is interred at West Parish Garden Cemetery.
Elizabeth Steinert remained in their home and worked for Phillips Academy. Elizabeth died at age 77 on Oct. 20, 1998. The Steinerts owned the home for 45 years. The property was sold by their son Dr. Roger Steinert to David K. & Lynn (Foster) Eikenberry on May 3, 1999.


Northern Essex Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Townsmans - April 1958, Oct. 22, 1998
Ancestry.com - Brewster and Steinert family history and obituaries
The Andover Townswoman - Bessi Goldsmith 1964

Trustees of Andover Theological Seminary
Trustees of Philips Academy 1908
Edwin T. & Lillian E. Brewster – May 25, 1915 – b. 353 p. 132
James S. Eastham, Conservator to Edwin & Lillian Brewster - Oct. 22 1954 – b. 802 p. 247/248
Francis E. & Elizabeth Ann Steinert - Oct. 22 1954 – b. 802 p. 249
Frances E. Steinert Estate – April 28, 1999 – Probate #98P2653-EP
Roger F. Stienert, Executor - April 28, 1999
David K. & Lynn (Foster) Eikenberry – May 3, 1999 – b. 5419 p. 317

Inventory Data:

StreetJudson Rd
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NameEdwin T & Lillian Brewster House
Present Useresidence
Original UseResidence
Construction Date1915
Architectural StyleColonial Revival
Architect/BuilderAddison B. LeBoutillier
Foundationstone, granite
Outbuildings / Secondary StructuresTwo stall garage
Major Alterationsside additions to original house
Recorded byJames S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date enteredMay 2, 2024