20th century interpretation of an Colonial Cape style house, wood exterior covering (2010), preserved mature trees and built stone boundary walls. Owners choose style and material because for them, it is like a New England Farmhouse. Landscape design by owners.
present owners Terry and Nancy Crossfield
8 Pleasant St. is at the intersection of High Plain Rd, Haggetts Pond Rd. and Pleasant Street, a West Andover area settled and farmed by the Flint and Boutwell families. According to Doris Newton and Steve Kearn, the Flints lived on the east side of Pleasant St. #22 (old house remained at #22 Pleasant St. 1993 ). Bailey, the other longtime family, is represented by the historic Bailey District School divisions and the neighboring Bailey Road. 47 Bailey Rd. original Bailey Schoolhouse built 1868.
This farm property was once part of the John Webster farm in the mid 1850s and was sold to James Selden Flint on April 4, 1891. The Webster - Flint homestead was located across from Boutwell Rd at 22 Pleasant St. The home was razed in 1995 for new construction. James S. Flint b. 1851, wife Mary b. 1854, and their children, Alice E. b. 1878, Edwin Miles b. 1881, Eleanor H. b. 1883 and Lucretia 1888 all lived in the homestead until their deaths. Son Edwin M. Flint continued the farm after his father's death in 1920. Prior to Edwin's death in Nov. 1959, the homestead lot was sub-divided off into a 2.2 acre parcel and the remaining 63.16 acres were sold to Fred W. Doyle for $19,000. on Aug. 29, 1959.
Doyle was a developer in town and also owner of Doyle Lumber Co. then on Chandler Rd. Doyle purchased additional parcels of farmland in the Bailey District. In Dec. 1972 Doyle sold off this portion of land to George Chongris. Chongris was a business partner with Evangelos A. & Ernest Theodore of the Theodore Realty Trust. Much of the farmland was divided up into house lots and sold off.
Richard D. Roper, a carpenter, purchased four lots 7, 9, 12, and 13 on Pleasant St for $46,000. This home on lot 12 now 8 Pleasant St. was built by Roper, A classic Cape style home, modified for 20th century living. The home was sold to Terry & Nancy Crossfield on Nov. 12, 1975 and continue their ownership in 2016.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #6894 - Jan. 1973 - lot 12
Map. #6747 - Fred W. Doyle - 1972 - Edwin W. Flint farm land
Map #3933 - 1959 - Edwin W. Flint
See 22 Pleasant St. for Webster - Flint farm history
John Webster - 1850
James Seldon Flint - Apr. 4, 1891 - b. 112 p. 34
James S. Flint estate - Dec. 24, 1920 - Flint heirs
Fred W. Doyle - Aug. 31, 1959 - b. 900 p. 348 - 349
George Chongris - Dec. 29, 1972 - b. 1209 p. 430
Theodore Realty Trust, Evangdelos A. Theodore, Geo. Chongris, Ernest Theodore, Tr., June 19, 1974 - b. 1243 p. 702
Richard D. Roper - Apr. 17, 1975 - b. 1258 p. 466
Terry R. & Nancy I. Crossfield - Nov. 12, 1975 - b. 1271 p. 223
Crossfield Realty Trust - Dec. 21, 1992 - b. 3625 p. 47
|Place||Bailey District - West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Terry & Nancy Crossfield House|
|Original Use||Farm pasture land|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs, owner deed|
|Architect/Builder||Richard D. Roper / builder|
|Wall/Trim||cedar clapboards/vinyl siding|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||2 story addition (garage and Florida room) 1981, Vinyl siding, replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||224-1C|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thibault, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1/13/92, 1/18/2016|