NRDIS NRMRA LHD
Style: Late Greek Revival
Other features: bracketed door hood. 1 unit; 7 rooms, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1/2 bath
Themes: Architectural, Community development
It appears the John Howard Nichols of Haverhill, MA once owned this lot of land on Center St. Nichols sold to John Davey several parcels of land on Nov. 9, 1882. The first lots mentioned were lots #4, 6, 27 & 29 Center St. Davey's second parcel appears to be this location. Davey sold the parcels to Alexander Derrah of which the third lot is the parcel of house #80 Center. As Alexander Derrah paid only $100. for the parcels we assume that he built the home. (More deed work is needed to substantiate this assumption)
The 1900 census list Alexander b. Sept. 1830 in Nova Scotia, age 69 "Grove Manager" His wife Sarah E. b. Oct. 1835 age 64, also in Nova Scotia. They had eight children of which seven survive in 1900. Two sons; Joseph H. b. Sept. 1873 an electric motor repairman, and John M. b. May 1881 a flannel inspector live with their parents.
Alfred Kittridge of North Andover was the president of the Andover Hat Co. in Ballardvale which stood where the current Ballardvale playground is on Andover St. Kittridge sold off three parcel of land to Adoniram J. Dearborn on Feb. 22, 1864. The second parcel fronted on Marland St., third parcel bordered on Cross St., a paper st. never built between Center to Marland and Scott Streets. The last parcel was on the west side of Center St. across the street and now part of the #79 property.
Historical narrative: by Ruth Sharpe 1996:
James W. Petty & wife Eliza lived here in 1918. Their daughter Laura Juhlmann was a clerk for Highways Maintenance Andover, also a secretary for the Union Congregational Church of Ballardvale. Frank Petty was connected with the Andover Bank.
The 1920 Andover Valuation Schedule of the South District lists Mrs. Eliza L. Petty, House, Center St. $100., Shed $50. and 15,960 sq. ft. of land $200.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Town of Andover Assessors
Alfred Kittridge - 1864
Adoniram J. Dearborn - Feb. 22, 1864 - b. leaf - 2nd parcel
John Davey - Nov. 9, 1882 - b. 69 p. 593 - several parcels
Alexander Derrah - Apr. 5, 1886 - b. 85 p. 483 - two parcels
Francis A. Juhlmann, wife Laura B. - Sept. 4, 1913 - b. 334 p. 1
Eliza L. Petty, wife of James W. - May 15, 1919 - b. 399 p. 568
Eliza L. Petty estate, heir Frank R. Petty - son Probate
Frank R. Petty, wife Arlene - Nov. 22, 1937 - Probate - life estate for James W.
James W. Petty estate, died July 10, 1946
Laura Belle Juhlmann - Oct. 9, 1946 - b. 69 p. 242
Laura Belle Juhlmann estate, John R. Petty Consv. - Sept. 29, 1966 - Probate
Jack D. & Batty Ann Baker - Oct. 14, 1966 - b. 1070 p. 315
John D. & Nancy K. Townsend, Jr. - June 2, 1970 - b. 1153 p. 549
Andover Savings Bank - Mar. 15, 1988 - b. 2693 p. 150 - mtg deed
Andover Bank - Aug. 4, 1992 - b. 3537 p. 343
Laura J. Ahern - Dec. 8, 1992 - b. 3614 p. 40
Michael J. & Laura E. Rristau - Jan. 1, 1995 - b. 4196 p. 201
Scott A. & Teresa T. Schirmer - Feb. 25, 1998 - b. 4973 p. 202
Early deeds of Alfred Kittridge of North Andover
To Adoniram J. Dearborn - Feb. 22, 1864 - three parcels - 2nd & 3rd on east side of center
4th parcel across the street on the west side of Center now part of #79
John Davey acquired parcels from John Howard Nichols of Haverhill
lots #4, #6, #27 & #29 on Darracott 1848 map and two parcels on Center St.
Third parcel is #80 house lot.
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Alexander Derrah House|
|Construction Date||about 1863|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage; pool 18'x36'|
|Major Alterations||shed razed (1974)|
|Acreage||0.366 acre; Lot size: 15,960 sq. ft.; Approx. Frontage: 120'|
|Map and parcel||157-66|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Ruth A. Sharpe Ballardvale Historical District, James Batchelder (May 1998)|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, June 1996, 9/24/16|