Colonial Revival - Garrison Colonial
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain.
The house is in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. The property however was purchased by the American Woolen Company on May 1, 1923 from James & Margaret Boardman.
Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This property was sold to Frank & Cecelia M. Cairns on Nov. 1, 1950. Cairns may have built the Garrison Colonial as the assessors office gives 1951 as the date built. O. Wilton & Olga J. Tompkins purchased the home on June 27, 1951.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#708 - Nov. 1927 - AWCo.
William Peters -
Sybil Hardy, wife of Isaac M. Hardy - Sept. 9, 1874 - b. 30 p. 162 - $294.26 - two lots
Charlotte A. Thomas - Nov. 11, 1885 - b. 85 p. 587 two lots
Henrietta B. N. Bosworth, wife of Louis H. - June 11, 1886 - b. 86 p. 482 - two lots
George Mander - Sept. 23, 1889 - b. 103 p. 582 - two lots parcel #1 - 1 1/2 acre with house
Thomas Wallwork - June 4, 1917 - b. 377 p. 317 - parcel 1 - one 1/2 acre
James & Margaret Boardman - May 23, 1918 - b. 386 p. 257
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. - May 1, 1923 - b. 485 p. 87
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 325 parcel 3
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co - Oct. 30, 1937 - b. 611 p. 177 (p.184) parcel 16th
Frank & Cecelia M. Cairns - Nov. 1, 1950 - b. 745 p. 69
O. Wilton & Olga J. Tompkins - June 27, 1951 - b. 752 p. 488
Frederick J. Graham - Sept. 15, 1960 - b. 922 p. 415
Frederick C. & Patricia A. Polgreen - Apr. 24, 1969 - b. 1129 p. 20
John J. & Judith M. Hewitt, Jr. - May 9, 1972 - b. 1192 p. 533
Carter N. & Sandra Ruth - July 26, 1973 - b. 1225 p. 432
Reed W. & Christine C. Cass - June 16, 1975 - b. 1261 p. 534
Gary M. & Janice E. Goldstein - Aug. 15, 1977 - b. 1317 p. 275
David A. & Rachel Penner Nov. 15, 1983 - b. 1746 p. 201
80 Haverhill St. Realty Trust, David A. & Rachel Penner Tr. - Mar. 7, 2003 - b. 7595 p. 340
80 Haverhill St. Realty Trust, David A. & Rachel Penner Tr. - Apr. 16, 2013 - b. 13427 p. 242
Kai Zhang & Wanning Jiang - Apr. 16, 2013 - b. 13427 p. 242
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||vinyl cladding covers original wood clapboard, replacement windows.|
|Map and parcel||18-21|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/22/2015|