This property was once owned by James J. Abbott and was part of his farm holdings at 5 Reservation Road and 5 Andover Street. Abbott sold this lot of land to Robert A. Robinson on Mar. 22, 1917. Robinson built the the house near the bank of the Shawsheen River, which at that time was used quite regularly by boaters, canoeists, and swimming at the nearby 10 footer swimming hole. The Andover Canoe Club boathouse was up river on Lupine Road across from the stone arch bridge of the Boston & Maine Railroad.
Robert Robinson transferred the deed to his wife Rose on Oct. 8, 1918 and in the deed is mentioned land with buildings. The deed is then transferred back to Robert a month later.
The property is sold to Patrick J. & Theresa Driscoll of Lawrence on May 16, 1919. Driscoll holds the property for three years and then sells to Margaret Levis.
James & Margaret (Sheehy) Levis lived here the rest of their lives. James Levis was born May 1, 1883 in County Cork, Ireland and came to America at age 18. His wife Mary Sheehy was also born in Ireland in 1883 and arrived in 1909. They met, married and had two sons; James Francis b. 1919 and William Anthony b. June 29, 1921. James worked for the Tyer Rubber Co. for a few years and later for the Andover Board of Public Works. Both sons attended the Andover Public Schools and graduated from Punchard High School, James in 1936 and William in 1938. James entered M.I.T. graduating in 1940.
The Levis family held the property for nearly seventy years. They built a small boat dock on the river, had a canoe and allowed many of the neighborhood kids of Abbott Village to store their canoes in their yard. They were a kind and generous family and popular with the neighbors. Their home was austere compared to others in the neighborhood, but that mattered little to their friends. Old timers of Abbott Village, when reminiscing about the neighborhood always mention the Levis family, skating on the river and the boats tied up at their dock.
Margaret (Sheehy) Levis died on March 15, 1940. James remained until his death in On March 14, 1972. Both are interred at St. Augustine's Cemetery. James deeded the property over to his son William A. on Sept. 27, 1969. The will of James' estate left the property to his sons and heirs.
The Levis family sold the house in Nov. 1991 to Robert L. Taylor. It was Taylor who renovated the old house, pulling a building permit for an $80,000 renovation in 1995. Gutting the interior and building at new addition to the north doubled the size of the house, bringing up to 21st century living.
Robert transferred the deed into his name and his wife Elizabeth J. Williams in April 1998. They continue as owners in 2014.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
James J. Abbott - farm land
Robert A. Robinson - March 22, 1917 - b. 375 p. 328 - land
Rose J. Robinson - Oct. 8, 1918 - b. 392 p. 372-374 - land with buildings
Robert A. Robinson - Nov. 25, 1918 - b. 393 p. 219
Patrick J. Driscoll, wife Teresa - May 16, 1919 - b. 399 p. 492
Margaret Levis, husband James - Nov. 2, 1922 - b. 468 p. 39
Margaret Levis estate - died Mar. 15, 1940 - b. probate #196624
James Levis - by will probate 1940.
William A. Levis Sept. 27, 1969 - b. 1141 p. 78
William J. Levis, Michael E, Levis, James F. Levis, Aug. 12, 1972 - b. 1200 p. 100
Robert L. Taylor - Nov. 1, 1991 - b. 3341 p. 289
Robert L. Taylor & Elizabeth J. Williams - Apr. 23, 1998 - b. 5029 p. 145
|Street||Red Spring Rd|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||James & Margaret Levis House|
|Major Alterations||1992 addition on north side House gutted and remodeled|
|Map and parcel||73-2|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 5/2014|