Dutch Colonial style
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the new streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company.
The house, built in Frye Village, and is included in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This home is one of a few that were not owned by the American Woolen Co. It is interesting to note that the style of the home is a perfect fit and complement to the new homes in this section of Shawsheen Village.
This property was once part of a four acre parcel that was owned by William Peters who held the mortgage. Peters sold the property mortgage for $294.26 to Sybil Hardy, wife of Isaac M Hardy on September 9, 1874. The property contain a 1 1/2 acre lot with dwelling house on the north side of Haverhill Street and the four acre lot across the street at 79 - 81 Haverhill St. After the death of her husband Isaac Sybil sold the parcels to Charlotte A. Thomas, a widow on Nov. 11, 1885.
Charlotte Thomas owned for one year then sold to Henrietta B. N. Bosworth, wife of Louis H. on June 11, 1886. Bosworth lived in Portland, ME. A year later the property was purchased for $2000 by George Mander on Sept. 23, 1889. George Mander owned for 15 years. Mander was noted for his gardens. In June 1904 Mander sold off a parcel to Frank E. Wilkinson of Lawrence, MA. It appears that Wilkinson built the home at 79 Haverhill St.
Philip F. Leslie then purchased this lot on Aug. 18, 1909. The home was built shortly after. A plan map #77 done April 17, 1910 by George Mander & Frank Kemnitzer shows a remaining lot of 3.57 acres to the east.
Philip F. Leslie b. 1883 was an electrician wife Davina Leslie b. 1885 a housewife. The Leslie family owned the home for 63 years. Steven C. & Paula A. Avery purchased the home from the Leslie estate on Aug. 4, 1972. Steven Avery was a Police Officer in the Andover Police Department.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
Map #77 - Apr. 17, 1910 - Kemnitzer - Mander lot C - 3.57 acres
1922 Shawsheen Map - Kemnitzer
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
William Peters -
Sybil Hardy, wife of Isaac M. Hardy - Sept. 9, 1874 - b. 30 p. 162 - $294.26 - two lots
Charlotte A. Thomas - Nov. 11, 1885 - b. 85 p. 587 two lots
Henrietta B. N. Bosworth, wife of Louis H. - June 11, 1886 - b. 86 p. 482 - two lots
George Mander - Sept. 23, 1889 - b. 103 p. 582 - two lots
Philip F. Leslie - Aug. 18, 1909 - b. 277 p. 484 house lot south side of Haverhill St.
Philip F. & Davina Leslie - Aug. 27, 1940 - b. 634 p. 27 parcel 1
Philip F. & Davina Leslie - b. 677 p. 243 - parcel 2 "B"
Philip F. Leslie estate, Davina Leslie heir
Davina Leslie estate, Hilton C. Parker, Extr. - July 31, 1972 - b. 1199 p. 158 Probate
Steven C. & Paula A. Avery - Aug. 4, 1972 - b. 1199 p. 159
Richard J. Pozzi
Richard J. & Melissa Pozzi - Feb. 21, 2008 - b. 11078 p. 176
David & Fira Schneider - Aug. 6, 2010 - b. 12149 p. 166
Hillside Realty Trust, David Schneider Tr - Feb. 10, 2011 - b. 12434 p. 178
Michael Schneider - Sept. 26, 2012 - b. 13136 p. 182
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Philip & Davina Leslie House|
|Construction Date||1909 - 1910|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Roof||slate - gambrel|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding, replacement windows, ell addition on north side|
|Map and parcel||19-99|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/20/2015|