Door and window trim, c. 1850's house; 2 outbuildings; brick 1st story ell at rear
From a preliminary examination of the interior, what appears from the outside to be a late Federal-Greek farmhouse with 19th century trim, turns out to be a remodeled early Georgian house with some possibility of an earlier house buried within.
One front room has an exposed summer beam with quirk-beaded edge and beaded edge sheathing. The other front room, apparently of a later finish, has cased summer beam with heavy early Georgian moldings. The house now has end chimneys and the original staircase has been replaced.
Themes - Architectural and Community Development.
Dr. Israel How original owner.
Early deeds reference Dr. Israel How, b. 1691 - d. July 15, 1740, his widow Marcy b. 1686-d. Oct. 20, 1765 and their children; Keturah b. 1717, Daniel b. May 1, 1719, Sarah b. Sept. 1720-d. Feb.11, 1720, Sarah b. Feb.7, 1821, Hannah b. April 9, 1784, and Priscilla b. June 24, 1726. Upon his death his estate was left to widow Marcy 1/3 and the children 2/3 of the property. Son Daniel also became a physician and was famous for his work with the insane.
Dr. Daniel How married Sarah Widger on Dec. 5, 1780 and had 11 children. Half the house was used by him. Siblings; Keturah How married on Nov. 26, 1739 to Philemon Chandler Jr., Hannah How wed William Ballard, Sarah How married John Ballard and Priscilla How wed David Ingalls. All owned 1/7 of the property until they quit claimed.
Philemon Chandler and Henry Ingalls received 2/7 of the East end of the house in June 1766. Philemon & Keturah had two children; John b. Apr. 26, 1740, and Elizabeth b. Jan. 29, 1748-9. Keturah died June 30, 1786 at age 69. Philemon later remarried to Widow Hannah Foster (wife of Job Foster, on Woburn St.) who had a former slave Lucy Foster. They resided here until 1800. Dr. Daniel How died on Nov. 1, 1797 and Philemon Chandler the following year on Dec. 18, 1798. Jebez Hayward purchased this property on June 10, 1802 at auction for $822.50 from the estate of Philemon Chandler, Moses Abbott Administrator.
Jebez Hayward b. Mar. 24, 1754, son of Jebez and Elizabeth (Russell) Hayward. Jebez marched on Lexington on April 19, 1775 with Capt. Henry Abbott’s Company. Jebez marriage intention was made in Aug 11, 1775 in Andover to Abigail “Nabby” Graves b. 1751 dau. of Daniel & Sarah (Upton) Graves of Reading. Jebez & Nabby had seven children born in Reading: Nathaniel b. 1781 bpt. Nov. 26, 1786 as were, Jebez , Nabby, & Eunice, Bethia bpt. May 27, 1787, Benjamin b. May 3, 1789. Henry b. 1792 not in Reading or Andover Vital Records.
They joined the South Church on June 29, 1806 from the North Church in Reading [North Parish, North Reading]. Nabby died on Aug. 12, 1811 age 60. Jebez died Nov. 24, 1835. Grandson Henry Edward Hayward b. 1813, Executor of Jebez estate appears to have inherited the Andover Homestead.
Jebez’s son Henry married on Dec. 26, 1813 to Elizabeth C. Stimpson b. Jan. 12, 1794 dau. of Nathaniel & Hepzibah (Ames) Stimpson. Their home was on the North Reading – Andover line at Jenkins Rd and Haverhill St. Henry & Eliza C. had four children; Henry Edward b. Oct. 17, 1813 in Reading, Eliza Rolston b. July 25, 1817-d. Apr. 28, 1854, Andrew Bradshaw b. Mar. 20, 1819- d. 1852 and Hepzibah Jane b. Apr. 14, 1821-d. 1849. Henry died on Oct. 12, 1870 and Eliza on June 17, 1879 in North Reading. Son Henry Edward inherits the North Reading farm with the death of his mother.
Henry married Dec. 15, 1836 in Middleton to Polly Swain Curtis b. Oct. 10 1810 in Middleton, dau. of Israel & Phebe (Fuller) Curtis. Henry and Polly had five children. Helen Elizabeth b. Jan. 29, 1838-d. 1857, Harriet Eliza b. Feb. 3, 1839, Henry Albert b. Jan. 6, 1841, George Edward b. Feb. 13, 1842 - d. July 24, 1865 from wounds at Spotsylvania and Charles Warren b. Sept. 18, 1843. The 1850 Census list Henry E. and family here. The 1850 Andover Valuation: Dwelling house $500, barn & shed $350, 10 acres north of rd. $300, 29a south of rd. $928, 11¼a Chandler wood lot $394, 7a Blunt & Valpey Plain $140, 6 ¾ a Hannah Poor pasture $135, 11a Foster land $235 = 75 acres at $2982. Farm Stock $382.
Henry E. sold the property to his son Henry Albert on March 29, 1869 for $5000. Henry E. died Dec. 27, 1875 leaving his remaining estate to his widow Polly. She died on May 4, 1896 age 86 years.
Henry Albert Hayward married on Nov. 19, 1868 to Mary Jane Jenkins b. Aug. 15, 1850 Reading, MA dau. of Luther & Nancy J. (Putnam) Jenkins. Children: George Henry b. 1870, Caroline Putnam b. 1872, Gertrude Amanda b. 1874, Polly Ann b. 1877-d. 1892, Emma Louise b. 1879, and Harry Winthrop. B 1891.
Henry A. Hayward died on March 5, 1905. The farm remained with the Hayward family until 1912 when it was sold off by Henry E.'s widow Mary J. and their children to Carrie H. Conkey, wife of Elmer F. Conkey on June 19, 1912.
The Conkey family held the property for 21 years. A small unpaid mortgage with the Atlantic Cooperative Bank in 1933 was purchased by Louis H. Conkey on Nov. 28, 1933. Two years later the property was sold to Mildred V. Horne, wife of Burchard E. Horne, on Dec. 3, 1935. Horne founded the Watts Regulator Co. in Lawrence. The Hornes purchased the house and 27.6 acres of adjoining land. On July 25, 1966 their son Timothy P. & wife Judith purchased the property and held for 11 more years. The property was sub-divided in 1974 and the house with 3.51 acres was sold to Joseph P. & Cynthia Madden on Feb. 25, 1975.
The Madden family continue ownership after 40 years in 2015.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Abbot, Charlotte Helen: Our Border Men" #90
Maps of Andover, 1830, 1852, 1858, 1872, 1888,
1830 map; Jabez Hayward, 1852 Henry Edward Hayward
Poore, Dr. Alfred "Genealogical-Historical Visitation of Andover, Mass. In the year 1863" Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol. 48, 1912.
See maps #5509 June 29, 1966 and map #7096 Aug. 1974
Dr. Israel How estate d. July 15, 1740
Wid. Marcy How and children heirs
Marcy How Estate - d. Oct. 20, 1765
How Heirs, Dr. Daniel & Sarah How & siblings - Nov. 12, 1757 - b. 106 leaf 98-99
Philemon Chandler & Henry Ingalls - June 24, 1766 - b. 120 leaf 262
Dr. Daniel How estate - Nov. 1, 1797
Philemon Chandler estate, Moses Abbott Adm. - Mar. 1802
Jebez Hayward - June 10, 1802 rec. 2/23/1805 - b. 174 leaf 276
Jabez Hayward estate, Henry E. Hayward Extr. - d. Nov. 24, 1835 - Probate
Henry E. Hayward - 1836 Probate
Henry A. Hayward - Mar. 29, 1869 - b. 769 leaf 24 - Salem deeds
Henry A. Hayward estate, Mar. 5, 1905 - heirs, Mary J., Geo.H., Henry W. Hayward, Gertrude A. Williams, Emma H. Dumont
Carrie H. Conkey, wife of Elmer F. - June 19, 1912 - b. 318 p. 395
Atlantic Cooperative Bank - Nov. 28, 1933 - b. 544 p. 442 - poss.
Louis C. Conkey - Nov. 28, 1933 - b. 544 p. 442 - mtg. deed
Mildred V. Horne, wife of Burchard E. - Dec. 3, 1935 - b. 595 p. 385
Timothy P. & Judith R. Horne - July 25, 1966 - b. 1065 p. 237
Joseph P. & Cynthia R. Madden - Feb. 25, 1975 - b. 1256 p. 353
Cynthia R. Madden Trust, Cynthia R. Madden tr. May 23, 1997 - b. 4859 p. 96
Elizabeth H. Madden Res. Life Trust - June 21, 2006 - b. 10244 p. 235
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||How - Hayward House|
|Construction Date||early 18th century (possibly 1/2 even 1st period)|
|Source||style-njs, ERDS, ENRDL|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern barn-garage|
|Acreage||less than one acre; 18.46 acres with 250' frontage on Porter|
|Map and parcel||97-1A|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 2/6/2015|