Transition of styles from Italianate to Queen Anne. The multiple eave and gable brackets and porch are elements of Italianate period. Double entrance doors, shallow eaves and asymmetrical facade moves toward an understated Queen Anne style.
84 Maple Ave (formerly #38, then #68) 38-160
Maple Ave. was once a 17 acre parcel of land that was owned by Samuel G. Valpey who purchased the home at 60 Elm Street for $6600 on Feb. 17, 1855. The Maple Ave parcel of 17 acres 26 rods was purchased at auction by John H. Flint for $858.12 on June 16, 1866. Andover Advertiser (AA) Oct. 23, 1874 – John H. Flint is at work on a new avenue leading through his land from Elm Street to Carmel lane. AA - July 23, 1875 - Maple St. opened; description of 1st house, a brick one on Flint's land.
This house was originally numbered #38 and as houses were built on lots between was re-numbered #68 after 1907 then became #84 in 1928.
This property was purchased from John H. Flint by Jonathan M. Bean on September 10, 1883 and the deed placed in his wife’s name Jennie M. Bean. Andover Advertiser AA Sept. 21, 1883 – John H. Flint has sold a house lot on High Street, next south of the residence of George S. Cole to J. M. Bean. Mr. Bean will soon build a house upon it.
AA Nov. 23, 1883 – J. M. Beans residence on Maple Avenue is up and boarded. The house is two stories 24 x 30 feet, with an L 20 x 28 feet and is intended for two families. George S. Cole is the builder.
Jonathan Moulton Bean was born in Alton Bay, NH on Oct. 7, 1834, son of Jonathan M. & Sarah Lowell (Allen) Bean. Jonathan was a shoemaker first settling in Dover, NH. He married on Dec. 4, 1858 Calantha D. Walker of New Market, NH dau. of John & Alice Walker. Sadly She died in October 1861. Jonathan then enlisted in Company I, First Battalion NH Cavalry on Nov. 20, 1861. This outfit was then attached to Co. I Rhode Island 1st Cavalry Regiment. Jonathan served as a Private and was mustered out in Alexandria, VA on Feb. 21, 1863. Johnathan then found work in Haverhill, MA, (the Hub of she manufacturing in New England). He met Jennie Mary Frame b. May 2, 1844 in Billerica dau. of George & Mary Jane Frame. They married on Feb. 11, 1865 in Lawrence. Jonathan left shoemaking and became a Barber.
AA Aug. 1, 1876 – bought out the barber shop of George Orrell, for past 22 years in Town House
They moved to Andover on Aug. 1, 1875 and Jonathan bought out the barber shop of George Orrell. In 1878 he moved into the Old Town House on Main Street where his shop remained for the next 22 years. Jonathan was also the Town’s public weigher as the scales were behind the town house. Jonathan was on the Electric Committee when the plant was built in town and helped place where street lights were to be located. He was a Member of St. Mathews Lodge, the Odd Fellows and the Bartlett Post GAR in Andover. Jonathan and Jennie did not have children.
Jonathan died on April 22, 1900 and is interred at Spring Grove Cemetery. His Widow Jennie remained in their home, taking in an occasional boarder. The second floor was rental income for her. Jennie died in 1926
In the 1900 and 1910 census William H. & Mary E. Faulkner were renting the apartment. William was the overseer of the dressing room in the M. T. Stevens “Marland Mill”
Agnes H. West, wife of John P. West purchased the property from the estate at auction on Oct. 10, 1926. Agnes & John lived up the street at 32 Maple Ave. Agnes was born on April 3, 1874 in Gaysville, VT, dau. of James & Elizabeth (Buchanan) Heape. Agnes married in 1916 to John Payson West b. Aug. 16, 1851 in Wiscasset, Maine, son of Alfred and Isabella (Roberts) West. Agnes was John’s second wife. John’s first wife Rosa E. Jackson died on Jan. 23, 1913 in Andover. They had six children all born in Maine of which four survived to adulthood.
John West was a very successful baker in town and had his shop the “J. P. West Pure Food Bakery” at 11 Barnard St. from 1904-June 1910. [see 9-11 Barnard St.] West then moved over to 12 Park Street in the brick Howell Block as the West Family Bakery. John had retired when they purchased #84. Agnes died on March 25, 1938 and John on July 10, 1940. The West family heirs then sold to Roland K. & Mary K. Fraser on Dec. 22, 1941.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
1882 Bailey - Andover map
Maps 1888, 1906
Andover Advertiser - Andover Townsman
Ancestry.com Bean and Frame families
John H. Flint - June 16, 1866 rec. 7/26/1866 - b. 707 leaf 267 - 17 acres – [Maple Ave]
Jennie M. Bean – Sept. 10, 1883 – b. 73 p. 459 - $500 lot
Jennie M. Bean estate, Hyden B. Harris, Fred Cheever Extrs – Oct. 26, 1926 Probate
Agnes H. West, wife of John P. – Oct. 10, 1926 – b. 527 p. 256 at auction
Agnes H. West estate, d. Mar. 25, 1938, heir John P. West
John P. West estate, d. July 30, 1940, heirs
Annie B. Swanton, Florence R. Hulme, Alma J. West, Ethel M. Abbott – 1940
Roland K. & Mary K. Fraser – Dec. 22, 1941 – b. 648 p. 7
Arthur A. & Louise L. Collins – Apr. 15, 1951 – b. 749 p. 93
Alfred D. & Evelyn D. Kochel – Nov. 29, 1956 – b. 846 p. 158
R. Paul Gallant, wife J. Beverly – Jan. 21, 1961 – b. 930 p. 296
Charles E. & Gladys S. Barnet and Viola May – July 17, 1974 – b. 1014 p. 266
Charles E. & Gladys S. Barnet – Dec. 24, 1984 - b. 1909 p. 82 - May release
Charlene May – Sept. 19, 1987 – b. 2593 p. 42
Michael W. Hecken – Aug. 4, 1988 – b. 2781 p. 161
Christopher J. & Catherine T. O’Brien – Feb. 25, 2008 – b. 11077 p. 1
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Jonathan M. & Jennie M. Bean House|
|Present Use||residence - 2 family|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architect/Builder||George S. Cole / builder|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Acreage||0.448 a - 39,160 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||38-162|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 11/3/2019|