Brick, utilitarian building Neo Colonial.
Brick and granite block stone work on facade.
This lot was once the site of Abrahm Marland's first mill (1814) and later the Abbott Village Hall, a large building used by the village residents for meetings and social gatherings. Built by Smith and Dove in 1889 it was razed sometime between 1928-1931.
The two parcels of land that now are #75 and #85 Essex St. were once one lot of about one acre and owned by Daniel Cummings & Benjamin Ames. They sold the lot to Abraham Marland on May 4, 1814 for $250 which came with water rights on the Shawsheen River. Historical records state the Marland built his first mill on this site next to river. “Marland began to make woolen goods here in Andover and continued for four years in his little mill. This stood just beyond the stone bridge in Abbott Village, was 40’ long, 18’ wide and was 2 stories high. It was first used for making cotton yarn and not changed to woolen manufacture until 1812, when they also added satinet to the output. They made blankets for the Army during the War of 1812. He moved from the little structure after four years and built the stone building occupied by Mitchell’s Cooperative Store in 1853, the site of the Village Hall. He kept a store in front of this building where he sold flannels and Blankets.” It is interesting to note that the house at #75 Essex St is 36’ x 17’. Marland later purchased a larger parcel down river in 1828 from Peter C. Books and built a new mill complex on Stevens Street.
Abraham sold this parcel with buildings to Isaiah Merrill, a Cordwainer, for $1200 on Oct. 1, 1833. Isaiah took a mortgage from Marland for $1200 and a few months later on Dec. 16, 1833, a second mortgage of $1500 from the firm Stanley, Reed & Co. of Boston, Merchants. The second mortgage suggests expansion and perhaps construction of the dwelling house at 75 Essex. St. Merrill owned just two years then selling the parcel for $1800 to the firm on Oct. 29, 1835. The three business partners were Gilman Stanley, Josiah Reed and William H. Skinner. Isiah Merrill and wife Polly were living in Statford, NH in 1835 and Isiah gives his occupation as Trader.
Abraham Marland sold Merrill’s mortgage to Stanley, Reed & Co. on Oct. 2, 1836, for $1300. In June 1847 the Courts of Common Pleas in Concord, MA issued an Execution & Disposition of the assets of the former firm of Stanley, Reed & Co. William H. Skinner was now the only surviving partner and a judgment of $2466.50 against Skinner to be paid to Charles L. Hancock of Boston. The Abbott Village property and tenements was assessed for $1400 and $1375.50 now due to Hancock who now owned the property. Skinner purchased the property back for Hancock for $1000 on April 23, 1850, and then sold to Smith, Dove & Co., John & Peter Smith, John Dove on May 18, 1850.
A map drawn out by John Franklin, Civil Engineer in 1927 (#676) for the Smith and Dove Manufacturing Co. lists and numbers every property owned in Abbott Village by the company. The Village Hall is on this site at that time but deeds later refer to the Village Hall formerly on the site. We have yet to find when the building came down and how, razed or fire, but between 1928-1931.
The holdings of Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. were sold off beginning in 1927 after the company was sold to the Ludlow Co. The Andover operation closed in 1928. This property, sold by the Andover Homes, Inc., went to Virgin D. Harrington on June 7, 1932. Harrington then sold the property to Titus and Alice Corkum of Cambridge MA in July 19, 1932. They also purchased 5 Baker Lane and the Depot House #55 at the intersection of Essex and Pearson St. at that time. Corkum held the property until 1940 and it is likely that he built the small brick building fronting on Essex St.
In August 1940 Corkum sold two parcels of land to Nellie May Palmer, wife of Calvin Palmer. The sale included this parcel and the Depot House lot with buildings. Palmer held the property for five years selling to Edward & Margaret M. O' Hagan in January 1940. The O' Hagans owned and lived in their home at 1 - 3 Baker Lane. Ed was a school fireman at the time of purchase. The deed states the property "as sub-divided" with a right-of-way to the property to the north. The plan map #2054-A done for O' Hagans in 1949 created the lot for the auto shop on the site today. On lot B shows a chicken coop and hen yard near the north boundary.
Phillip I. Gaudet purchased the property in May 1949 and held until 1963. Phillip b. 1902 and wife Bernadette b. 1905 lived at 17 Cuba St. Philip was listed as a general contractor in 1962 and it was Gaudet who built this small brick building as an office building for his business.
Gaudet sold to Armond DeRoche of Methuen on Jan. 3, 1963. Armond had the building for 22 years before selling to Robert (Bob) Selvitelli of Andover and Fred P. Kiely of Melrose in July 25, 1985.
Selvitelli and Kiely opened "Andover Auto and Truck Services". Selvitelli enjoyed an excellent reputation for quality work and did a good business at this location. The property was placed in the Larchmont Realty Trust in 1985 with Selvitelli & Kiely trustee at that time. Bob and his wife Patricia "Pat", who was the office manager, retired in 2013 and sold their business after 28 years.
The Automobile repair business is now under the name of "Henry's Auto Shop" listed under 85 Essex Street LLC since Feb. 28, 2013.
Abbott Village Blacksmith Shop, 86 Essex (1981)
The "Country Gourmet" is listed here from (1983-1985) proprietor Susan Poore.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
See Map #2054 lot A
Daniel Cummings & Benjamin Ames
Abraham Marland – May 4, 1814 - b. 205 leaf 8 - $250 lot w/water rights
Isaiah Merrill – Oct. 1, 1833 – b. 273 leaf 100 - $1200 –
Abraham Marland – Oct. 1, 1833 - b. 273 leaf 101 - $1200 mtg. deed
Gilman Stanley, Josiah Reed, Wm. H. Skinner – Dec. 16, 1833 – b. 273 leaf 101-102 - $1500 mtg deed
Stanley, Reed & Co. – Oct. 29, 1835 – b. 285 leaf 92 - $1800 deed from Merrill.
Stanley, Reed & Co. Gilman Stanley – Oct. 2, 1836, rec. 4/10/1837 – b. 316 leaf 154 - assignees $1300 – (273//101 Marland’s Mtg.)
William H. Skinner; surviving partner – Mar. 29, 1847 – No.9 – 39 Executions & Depositions
Charles Hancock of Boston – Mar. 15, 1847 - by Execution - $2466.50
William H. Skinner – Apr. 23, 1850 – b. 439 leaf 136 - $1000
Smith, Dove & Co., John & Peter Smith, John Dove – May 18, 1850 – b. 439 leaf 137 - $1030
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. Inc. deed changes in 1864 and 1912
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co., Geo. F. Smith, Pres. - Feb. 1, 1927 - b. 529 p. 587
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc., Walter Amesbury, Pres, - Feb. 21, 1927 - b. 529 p. 587
Andover Homes, Inc., Walter Amesbury, treas. - Dec. 31, 1927 - b. 538 p. 354-356
Virgil D. Harrington - June 7, 1932 - b. 564 p. 546
Titus & Alice Corkum - July 19, 1932 - b. 565 p. 420
Nellie May Palmer, wife of Calvin - Aug. 8, 1940 - b. 637 p. 325 - two parcels
Edward & Margaret M. O' Hagan - Jan. 20, 1945 - b. 670 p. 536
Phillip I. Gaudet - May 27, 1949 - b. 723 p. 549
Armond J. DeRoche - Jan. 7, 1963 - b. 977 p. 299
Larchmont Realty Trust; Robert Sevitelli & Fred. P. Kiely - July 25, 1985 - b. 2011 p. 245
85 Essex Street LLC - Feb. 28, 2013 - b. 13365 p. 217
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Marland's Mill & Abbott Village Hall site|
|Present Use||Automotive Repair Shop|
|Original Use||Marland Mill - Abbott Village Hall|
|Construction Date||1949 -1950|
|Architect/Builder||Phillip I. Gaudet contractor|
|Wall/Trim||brick / vinyl|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Automotive repair shop and garage added to the north and west side of original building.|
|Map and parcel||54-47|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||May 2014, 1/2/2022|