Themes: Architectural, Community development
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Haverhill St. is the ancient way from Frye Village to Old Andover Center in North Andover and on the Haverhill.
This house is in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This home was not however built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. This home was built by Thomas T. Clark as a single family residence for him and his wife Louisa. Thomas Clark was born in 1880 in Scotland, son of John and Mary (Train) Clark. Thomas and Louisa are listed at this address in 1926. Thomas, a carpenter, would later become a superintendent in the wool mills. It is said that Clark converted the upper floor into an apartment during the Depression for extra income. Thomas would sell off some of his property to the American Woolen Co creating Stirling St., Dunbarton and Sutherland Streets east of Liberty St. and Filter Bed Rd. Clark retained the parcel behind the house and sub-divided the property for three additional house lots along Stirling St. These are the three duplexes built by Clark.
Thomas & Louisa were living at 4 Stirling St. in 1943. Thomas Clark died on June 26, 1946. Wife Louisa and Phylis C. Dufton were joint heirs. This home at #86 was rented in 1943 to Charles & Lucy Bailey and Allan C. & Edna Milnes. Charles Bailey was retired and Allan Milnes was serving in the US Army.
Louisa died on Aug. 10, 1960 and Phylis Dufton held the property until selling to Richard & Mary Cargill on Oct. 15, 1968.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#708 - Nov. 1927 - AWCo.
Court Plan #992 - Dec. 14, 1946 - Sud-divide lots C-1 C-2
Court Plan #1726-G - Dec. 14, 1946 - Lot C-1
Zoning Board decision - Jan. 17, 1947 - #122
Thomas T. Clark - Certificate # 992 - b. 7 p. 201
Thomas T. & Louisa A. Clark - Feb. 3, 1927 - Certificate #1574 - b. 11 p. 97
Thomas T. Clark estate, Louisa A. Clark, heir - June 25, 1946
Louisa A. Clark and Phyllis C. Dufton - Jan. 17, 1947 - Ctf. # 15691
Phyllis C. Dufton Mar. 21, 1947 - Ctf. #3223 - b.22 p. 93
Louisa A. Clark estate - Aug. 10, 1960 - 86 Haverhill St. & 2 Stirling
Richard & Mary Cargill - Oct. 15, 1968 - Ctf. #6278 - b42 p. 313
John D. & Marcia Glazenbrook - Oct. 30, 1979 - Ctf. #8357 - b.56 p. 233
Frederick W. & Marie Galinski and Erica M. Bernardo - July 18, 2006 - Ctf. 15477 - b. 121 p. 41
John J. & Darlene C. King - June 2, 2007 - Ctf. 16498
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Thomas T. & Louisa Clark House|
|Present Use||residence, 2 family|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||Thomas C. Clark - builder|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Acreage||0.133 acre; lot size 5,775 sq. ft.; Approx. frontage to Haverhill st. 70', to Sterling st. 78'; approx. distance from street 15'|
|Map and parcel||18-24|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/23/2015|