Queen Anne transitioning into Shingle style
Interesting and unique corner tower, and rounded front porch.
Themes: architectural, community development.
Present owner: Trustees of Phillips Academy (4-26-40)
87 Bartlet St. was formerly numbered 73 Bartlet St. in 1900.
Original owner: George T. Eaton
This property was once owned by the Trustees of Phillips Academy and sold to James S. Eaton on May 1, 1858. The property extended south up the hill to Wheeler Ave. The south end of Bartlet Street, from Morton St. to Chapel Ave. was laid out and re- constructed by the Town of Andover in 1891. A narrow lane only existed prior to the current layout.
This lot was sold to George T. Eaton and his wife Fannie Thaxter Eaton on October 28, 1890 by the Eaton family heirs. The Queen Anne style house was constructed shortly after. The Trustees of Phillips Academy once owned this property and sold the lot to James S. Eaton on May 1, 1858. The house was built for Eaton and his family next door at #89.
James Steward Eaton born on Nov. 13, 1816 in Fitchburg, MA, son of Thomas & Mary "Betsey" Eaton Jr. James S. became a Mathematician and teacher. James married on Apr. 5, 1841 in Fitchburg to Louisa A. Howard b. 1818 in Grafton, VT, daughter of Benjamin & Margaret B. (Down) Howard. Eaton was elected as a teacher at Phillips Academy and arrived in Andover in the Summer of 1848. They had four children;, James Howard b. June 21, 1842, William Wells b. Aug. 24, 1846 both in Colchester, CT, George Thomas b. Feb. 13, 1856 and Louisa Adelaide b. Feb. 20, 1860. All three sons would become Educators.
George Thomas Eaton stayed with his mother Louisa until he received a teaching job in Monson, MA. George married on June 29, 1882 in Andover, MA to Fannie Thaxter Wheeler b. Aug. 16, 1857 in Worcester, MA, dau. of Henry M. & Sarah Huntington (Wilcox) Wheeler. George became a teacher at Phillips Academy. They purchased the lot next to his parents home at 87 Bartlet, (then numbered 73 Bartlet) George & Fannie had three children; Louisa b. 1884, Thaxter b. 1887 and Helen b. 1888. In the 1900 and 1910 census Fannie's father Henry M. Wheeler is living with them. Henry was a retired Insurance Agent. They too took in student boarders as did many of the Professors at the Academy. George T. was a math professor at Phillips Academy and former President of the Andover Village Improvement Society - AVIS.
George T. Eaton died on March 2, 1937 and is interred at the Chapel Cemetery in the Eaton Family lot. Fannie and daughters, Louisa & Helen then moved to 117 Chestnut St. Fannie sold the property to Frances Browne of Brighton, MA on July 15, 1938.
Son Thaxter Eaton became a lawyer and lived in Andover. Helen was a music instrumental teacher. Fannie T. Eaton died Nov. 29, 1941.
The Trustees of Phillips Academy purchased the property from Frances Browne on Apr. 26, 1940. An Alice Whitney was living here in 1940.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Trustees of Phillips Academy -
James S. Eaton - May 1, 1858 - b. 570 leaf 128
James S. Eaton estate - 1865, wife Louisa H. Eaton
Eaton Heirs; Louisa H. Eaton, James H. Eaton, William W. Eaton, Louisa A. (Eaton) Abbe
George T & Fannie T. Eaton - Oct. 28, 1890 - b. 110 p. 43 - lot of land
George T. Eaton estate, Fannie Thaxtor Eaton heir - Probate
Fannie Thaxtor Eaton
Frances Browne - July 15, 1938 - b. 618 p. 356
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Apr. 26, 1940 - b. 630 p. 403
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Geo. Eaton - Browne - Alice Whitney House|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Acreage||0.419 acre, 18,250 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 110 ft.|
|Map and parcel||40-62|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 4/2/2015|