Colonial Revival - Cape
Colonial Revival - Cape
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. But the lot was part of the development and is a portion of lot #67 of 1 Arundel St and 89 Burnham Rd. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Arundel Street is unique to Shawsheen Village as nearly every home on the street was designed by a local and internationally acclaimed architect/craftsman Addison B. LeBoutillier. The house at 1 Arundel however was designed by James E. Allen a local architect in Lawrence, MA
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The Arundel two family home was sold to Phillip & Elizabeth B. Churchill on Mar. 30, 1937. Phillip was a chemist for the American Woolen Co. They lived on the south side of the home at 89 Burnham Rd. It appears that Churchill sub-divided the lot and had the Cape built on the rear of the lot. Philip & Elizabeth moved into the Cape.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
Museum of Textile History, Lowell, MA
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot # 67
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
See Map 2177 - Dec. 1949 - Turner sub-division of house and property
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 17th parcel
Phillip & Elizabeth B. Churchill - Mar. 30, 1937 - b. 606 p. 456
Thomas S. & Vita D. Marjerison - June 27, 1953 - b. 777 p. 168
Keith A. & Candace D. Westgate - July 28, 1992 - b. 3515 p. 109
Keith A. & Candace D. Westgate - Aug. 17, 2000 - b. 5835 p. 308 - Affidavit to deed.
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Churchill - Marjerison house|
|Construction Date||1936 - 1937|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||36-84|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||July 15, 2015|