87 River Road

Architectural Description: 

corner pilasters, entablature, rear ell, Italianate two story bay window and entrance porch. enclosed west side porch, 6 over 6 sash.
1980 - Clean, strong Greek Revival design, almost overwhelmed by Italianate additions, showing evolution of a 19th Century farmhouse.
Intact farm complex in great disrepair; important grouping and intact setting. Bay window additions in Andover popular 1870-1890's

Historical Narrative: 

The 1830 map of Andover lists B. [Bodwell] Lovejoy at this location with J. Shattuck northwest of Lovejoy. Bodwell was born March 4, 1782. He married Sally Poor on Dec. 31, 1805. They had six children; Sally Kimball b. 1810, Catherine b. 1812, Daniel B. b. 1817, Phebe b. 1820 Lucinda bp. Oct. 3, 1824, and Abiah bpt. Oct. 3, 1824. Bodwell died on Dec. 2, 1832 and portions of the homestead property were sold off. Sally Lovejoy died Oct. 24, 1850. The 1850 Andover Valuation lists Widow Sally; 1/3 Dwelling house $120, 1/3 barn $42, 10 1/2 adj. acres $210, 2 acre Young wood $60 = $432. Heirs of Bodwell Lovejoy held; 2/3 Dwelling house $240, 2/3 barn $84, 31 1/2 adjoining acres $630, 4 a. Young wood $120 = $1074.

Timothy Bailey 3rd purchased the property of Aaron Sayer Jr., a blacksmith, on Jan. 6, 1840 for $975 which the deed states “the same I now reside and occupy”. Also two other parcels called Holts Orchard and Round Swamp. Aaron Sawyer purchased at auction a portion of Bodwell Lovejoy’s estate on Aug. 29, 1833 from Solomon Holt for $616.85. It contained 17 acres 40 rods.

Timothy Bailey 3rd b. Nov. 29, 1812 was the oldest child of Timothy Jr. & Henrietta “Ritta” (Blood) Bailey who had ten children. Timothy’s marriage intention to Lucy Ann Stevens was entered on May 23, 1832. Timothy and Lucy had four children, James Henry b. July 24, 1843, Charles W. b. Nov. 21, 1845 and Lucy Ann b. June 9, 1849 and George Otis b. Feb. 2, 1851. Sadly Timothy died of consumption on Nov. 18, 1851.

His brother Rufus Bailey purchased this property on Aug. 9, 1852 from Erza Stevens for $450. It was the remaining 2/3 share of the home farm from Timothy Bailey 3rd and Lucy A. Baily dowry.

Rufus R. Bailey was born Aug. 9, 1823, youngest son of Timothy Jr. and Ritta Bailey. Rufus married Dec. 31, 1856 at West Parish Church to Tryphena O. (Walker) Boise b. Jan. 15, 1830 Troy, Orleans, VT, dau. of Humphry & Zelina (Waldo) Walker. Rufus and Tryphena had one son Nathan Rufus b. Oct. 1857. Nathan worked the farm with his father Rufus. The 1860 census lists Rufus property: 1/3 dwelling house, $100, 2/3 Barn $200, 20 adj. acres $360, 14 acres McLary land $298, 10 acre Pitts lot $298 = #1256 and 44 acres. Farm stock $160.

The 1870 Valuation for the farm; House $450, Barn $325, 24 acre home farm $675, 14 acre Abbot land $300, 5 acre Holt Orchard $180, 10 acre Pitts lot $250 = $2180 – farm stock $302.

Son Nathan Bailey married on Dec. 27, 1887 to Lizzie Frances Stevens b. Dec. 1861, dau. of Abiel & Frances (Jowett) Stevens. They lived on the farm with Nathan’s parents. Tryphena died Oct. 3, 1903 age 74y 8m and Rufus died July 12, 1911 age 87y 11m. They are interred at West Parish Cemetery. Nathan inherits the farm.

Nathan R. and Lizzie had five sons; Nathan Frances b. May 9, 1889, Rufus Stevens b. June 19, 1890, Charles H. b. June 1892 – d. Sept. 2, 1892, William Henry b. Jan. 22, 1894 and George Edward b. Sept. 18, 1895. Son Nathan F., known as Frank, would become a pay clerk at the Washington Mills in Lawrence. All three brothers, Rufus, William and George worked in the woolen mills in 1920. George returned to farming after the death of their father Nathan on Oct. 7, 1920. Lizzie died on Feb. 23, 1930 and George on Nov. 2, 1930. The 1920 Valuation list Nathan R.: House $1100, barn & shed $700, 31 acres home farm $1200, 11¼ acres North District $400, 14 acres near River $400, 10 acres woodland Pitts lot Bailey District $250 = $4050.

Rufus S. married on Jan. 14, 1914 to Estella M. E. Tardiff b. 1894 in Charlestown, MA dau. of Jerry and Annie (Simano) Tardiff. They had a daughter Irene b. 1915. Lived at 652 Andover St. in Lawrence and worked for the American Woolen Co.

Nathan F. “Frank” married Genevieve “Jennie” Chlebowski b. Jan. 31, 1906 in Lawrence, dau. of Stanislaus and Anna (Banka) Chlebowski. Nathan and Jennie had two children; Anna Frances b. Mar. 1, 1924 and Francis William b. Sept. 29, 1926. They lived on the homestead. Nathan died on Feb. 2, 1960.

William H. Bailey worked in the Ayer Mills in Lawrence, never married and was the last Bailey that lived at the homestead. William died in November 1967.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex Country Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence. MA
Ancestry.com - Bailey history, census records, Andover Vital Records
West Parish Garden Cemetery records
Andover Valuation Schedules, 1850, 1860, 1870

Owners;
Bodwell Lovejoy estate, Solomon Holt Adm. – July 1833 – Probate
Aaron Sawyer – Aug. 29, 1833 – b. 281 leaf 70 - $616,85 rec. 4/16/1835
Timothy Bailey 3rd – Jan. 6, 1840 rec. 9/23/1841 – b. 327 leaf 80 - $975
Timothy Bailey 3rd estate – died Nov. 18, 1851, heir wid. Lucy A. Bailey
Ezra Stevens – Apr. 18, 1852
Rufus Bailey – Apr. 15, 1852, rec. 1/13/1858 – b. 564 leaf 68 2/3 of home farm
Rufus Bailey, Charles W. Bailey, Steven Barker, guardians Lucy Ann Bailey - Apr.11, 1867 - b. 721 leaf 158
Rufus Bailey - April 11, 1867 - b. 721 leaf 159
Rufus Bailey estate, Nathan R. Bailey heir - died July 12, 1911 - probate will
Nathan R. & Lizzie F. (Stevens) Bailey -
Nathan R. Bailey estate, Lizzie F. Bailey heir - died Oct. 4, 1920 - by probate #137554
Lizzie F. Bailey estate, Feb. 23, 1930 - Probate #166741
Nathan Francis & Genevieve Bailey, heirs - 1930
William H. Bailey - June 19, 1936 - b. 598 p. 598
William H. Bailey estate – Nov. 1967, Barbara Bailey & Laurie Allen heirs

James Toye sold off a portion of his land to Rufus Bailey on Aug. 21, 1867 - b. 729 leaf 183

Inventory Data:

StreetRiver Rd
PlaceWest Andover - North School District
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameBodwell Lovejoy - Timothy Bailey 3rd House
Present Useabandoned 1980
Original UseFarmhouse-residence
Construction Date19th century 1820 - 1830
SourceERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs
Architectural StyleFederal
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimclapboard/wood
Roofasphalt - gable
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuressheds and barn
Major AlterationsBay windows to front facade and entry porch
Conditionrazed 1983
Move DetailsHouse razed in 1981, barn razed Feb. 1983
Demolished?Yes
Demolition DetailsFeb 1983
Settingnow abandoned fields and orchard
Map and parcel142-6
Recorded byN. J. Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975 - 1977, 10/2/2015

Images: 

Map: