First period house; fine old beams; 12" oak beams; central chimney; NB steep roof pitch and low posting; brick/stone fireplace; bull's eye glass above door.
Symmetrical house with central chimney. Front rooms show original Federal style interiors.
Renovated by David Hidden after 1831.
Original owners: Dorman map 1830: W. Foster, line of ownership to 1830 is uncertain; Sheribiah Ballard?
Owners: Fields, Allyn & Elizabeth (6-18-70)
Tom Haffer (1970 - 78)
Michael & Meryl Bralower (1978-1991)
Andrew & Jane Brown (1991-)
Owner nominated summer 1987; approved by LHC.
Themes: agricultural, architectural, community development, political
House may have been home of Sheribiah Ballard (1688-1749) built on land of his father, John Ballard, originally two rooms. John Ballard (1653-1715) took over property and original house from his older brother who moved to Conn. John Ballard was Constable of Andover who arrested "Witches" during witchcraft hysteria (1692-93). Sheribiah moved to higher land, sold to Capt. John Foster, 1749, "homestead, meadows, buildings".
Huge chimney with Beehive oven in front room (1710-20). John Foster gave son William " a parcel of land with buildings" bought of Sheribiah. Aug. 1, 1831 - William Foster sold to Joshua Emery. House enlarged, back of house probably built over foundation of old barn. Old well covered when additions made. Carpenter David Hidden (who came to Andover to build seminary buildings ) recorded work done for Joshua Emery in his Tally Book. Francis Emery sold back to W. Phillips Foster. (1852 map unworked; 1872: W.P. Foster). Joshua Emery was steward of Andover Seminary and lived in house, 1823-31), before buying.
March 25, 1880: John C. Foster sold to Edwin H. Barnard (map of 1888: E.H. Barnard). Barnard to E.P Hitchcock, Aug. 1893-34. Hitchcock was landlord of Stowe House Inn on Andover Hill. Lucius Hitchcock sold to Isaiah R. Kimball and Harry W. Wedman, June 29, 1915. House was then a two-family house.
Isiah Kimball bought from Wadman on June 22, 1917 and sold three parcels to Abbot Academy Trustees June 15, 1926. Dr. Edward Sawyer Jr. bought from Abbot Academy, 1928. Dr. Sawyer renovated house, jacking it up to replace rotted sills with new ones; replaced old windows; half of the old ell was transformed into a modern kitchen and the rest into a sleeping porch. Sawyer sold to Charles Arnold, Nov. 1, 1929, and Arnold added pergola. Arnold still owner 1957, followed by Charles Arnold III, Patricia and Peter (1960); Charles Arnold III (1967) , W. Clifford bought in 1967; Thomas & Ann Hafer.
Building marker 1994
Andover Historical Society files
Bailey, Sarah L.:Historical Sketches of Andover, 1880 (John Ballard)
Goldsmith, Bessie: Historic Houses of Andover, 1946
David Hidden, Tally Book (accounts 1807 - Andover Hist. Soc. Collections)
Sawyer, Edward J.: "One More Old House Adapted to Modern Living" - House Beautiful, Feb. 1930, p. 186-237
Maps of Andover: 1830, 1853, 1872, 1888
Will of W. Phillips Foster, March 25, 1880
Andover Townsman, Sept. 9 , 1976
Sheribiah Ballard (1688-1749)
John Ballard (1653-1715)
Capt. John Foster, 1749,
William Foster Aug. 1, 1831
W. Phillips Foster. March 25, 1880
John C. Foster
Edwin H. Barnard - July 18, 1871 - b. 59 p. 132
Lucius P. & Margaret Hitchcock, - Aug. 7, 1894
Isiah R. Kimball and Harry W. Wedman - June 29, 1915 - b. 354 p. 598
Isiah R. Kimball - June 22, 1917 - b. 380 p. 180
Abbot Academy Trustees June 15,1926 - 523 p. 206
Dr. Edward Sawyer Jr - 1928.
Charles Arnold - Nov. 1, 1929
Charles Arnold III, Patricia and Peter (1960);
Charles Arnold III (1967) ,
W. Clifford in 1967
Thomas & Ann Hafer.
Cynthia Burns Art 271 - Project - 12/8/75
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Ballard, Sheribiah - Emery, Francis House|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage 1940's|
|Major Alterations||Pool (1971) Renovated 1928-29 Enlarged 1831|
|Acreage||.956 acres, 33,200 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 166'|
|Map and parcel||74-26|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford/Andrew Brown, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 1994, 4/2014|