Shingle Style home.
When built this home was clad with wood clapboard and ceder shingles, similar in look as the former Elliot house (Burke Funeral Home) and the Allen home at 1Union St.
88 Poor Street was first numbered 86 Poor and held that number until new infill construction between 84 and 86 occurred. The house number was changed in 1973.
Jonas B. Hill and John Hardy 2nd owned the property in 1868. They sold to Gilman D. Kingman & Henry A. Hill on Aug. 13, 1868. Henry Hill seems to have occupied the home at 84 Poor Street for a period of time as his name appears on the local maps. Hill & Kingman may have been brothers-in-law as Gilman was married to Nancy Maria Hill. Census records in 1870 find Hill b. 1817 in Maine, a barber, living in Lynn, MA. Kingman b. 1820 lives in Reading, MA. His wife Nancy Bond Hill b. Jan Dec. 12, 1823 in Boston, was the daughter of Jonas Bond Hill and Hannah Brook Lernard. Jonas & Hannah were married in Andover on Jan. 1, 1823. Jonas b. Jan 23, 1800 died Dec. 29, 1888 in Andover and is interred at South Parish Cemetery. Hannah b. 1800 died in 1883.
James Fraser purchased 84 Poor St. from Hill & Kingman on Jan. 19, 1895. James Fraser was born in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1865, son of James & Isabella (Low) Fraser. [sometimes written as Fraizer]. James married on Dec. 24, 1890 to Elizabeth E. Gordon b. 1872 in Scotland, daughter of David & Jessie (Edwards) Gordon. It appears that Elizabeth immigrated to America before her parents and settled in Andover, working as an operative for Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. They would have two sons Norman G. and Gilbert b. 1908 - d. 1926.
The 1900 census lists James & Elizabeth at 86 Poor St. (now #88) Her parents David & Jessie Gordon are living at 84 Poor St. They immigrated in 1894 with children, William b. May 1878, Alexander b. May 1882 and Norman b. Dec. 1886. Daughter Jessie E. b. Feb. 1880 also arrived earlier in 1892. Occupations, David 58 is a farmer, William 22, Hackeler - Flax, Jessie E. 20 Spinner Flax, Alexander 18 a Cander - Flax & Norman age 13 in school.
James Fraser was a machinist in the wool mills. His property extended along Poor Street in both directions from his home. He built a second home on his property at 88 Poor (86 Poor in old directories) and then sold a lot to his nephew Alexander Gordon at 80 - 82 Poor St. in Oct. 1908. The old house at #84 was rented out through the years of Fraser ownership. James Fraser died on June 26, 1953 age 87y 8m 24d. His wife Elizabeth died on Mar. 28, 1957 age 85y. 24d. Both are interred at West Parish Cemetery in the Gordon - Fraser lot.
Joan Isobel (Fraser) Petrie purchased the property from her Uncle and Aunt on Feb. 1, 1952. With the death of Elizabeth Fraser, there was a dispute over property ownership which went to Land Court to settle the estate. Both Joan I. Petrie and Norman Fraser had to quit claim certain properties.
Joan Isobel Petrie, wife of David R. Petrie, was deeded 84 and 86 Poor St in Feb. 25, 1960. Joan then sold the old home to Robert D. & Phyllis Henderson on Mar. 9, 1960. Joan & David Petrie lived at 86 Poor Street.
Joseph E. & Joan M. Comeau purchased the home on June 16, 1967. The Comeau family owned for 22 years then selling to Judith A. (Kilcoyne) Brezier & Howard A. Brezier on Sept. 17, 1999. The Brezier family are still owners of record in 2015.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence
Andover Historical Society vertical files
Andover Building Survey 1974-75
See land Court Plan #28979-A Feb. 1959
Map #289790 - Sub. Division Sept. 1965
Jonas B. Hill & John Hardy 2nd - 1868
Gilman D. Kingman & Henry A. Hill - Aug. 13, 1868 - b. 754 leaf 130 Salem Deeds
James Fraser, wife Elizabeth - Jan. 19, 1895 - b. 137 p. 494
Joan Isobel (Fraser) Petrie - Feb. 1, 1952 - b. 760 p. 135
Joan Isobel (Fraser) Petrie, hus. David R. - Feb. 25, 1960 - Cert. #4905 b. 33 p. 221 land court
Joseph E. & Joan M. Comeau - June 16, 1967 - Cert. #6060 - b. 41 p. 41
Judith A. (Kilcoyne) Brezier & Howard A. Brezier - Sept. 17, 1999 - Cert. #13297 Doc. #71345
Judith A. Brezier & Howard A. Brezier - June 5, 2004 - b. 8944 p. 339
Judith A. Brezier - May 31, 2007 - b. 10772 p. 158
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Construction Date||1895 - 1896|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards & shigle/vinyl covered|
|Roof||gable & gambrel - asphalt|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding, replacement windows.|
|Map and parcel||51-3A|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 6/24/2015|