Colonial Revival - Dutch Colonial
This home is the best example of a Dutch Colonial home built as a two family residence. The attention to proportions, roof pitch and the elegant design of the roof dormer with matching gable ends, makes an excellent and pleasing style. Three other homes of the same design were built in Shawsheen Village.
Arundel Street takes its name from Arundel Castle, in Arundel, West Sussex, England, home to the Dukes of Norfolk. All the streets in Shawsheen Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britton.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Arundel Street is unique to Shawsheen Village as nearly every home on the street was designed by a local and internationally acclaimed architect/craftsman Addison B. LeBoutillier. This house however was designed by James E. Allen a local architect in Lawrence, MA
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were; #89 Burnham is Howard A. and Anna Lasbury. Howard is a clerk with A.W.Co. In #1 Arundel St. are S. Hale & Alice G. Baker at Hale was also a clerk with the American Woolen Co.
This house was sold to Phillip & Elizabeth B. Churchill on Mar. 30, 1937. Phillip was a chemist for the American Woolen Co. They lived on the south side of the home at 87 Burnham Rd. In 1943 at #1 is Rene & Lily Dumont. Rene is a lino operator in Lynn, MA
The property was purchased by N. Lewis & Mary Alice Demara, Jr. on May 27, 1946 and James & Mary C. Turner were deeded one half interest in the property on Nov. 1, 1946. Turner sub-divided the property in 1949 and the west end (North side) was deeded to Mary C. Turner on Jan. 24, 1950. The Unit at 1 Arundel was then sold to John F. & Pauline Tansey on Mar. 20, 1950 who owned for 27 years.
Mary was deeded the 89 Burnham Rd. Unit on Mar. 20, 1950. Mary and James Turner lived in this side of the home. Mary sold the unit to George T. & Phyllis Katter on Jan. 27, 1956. See 1 Arundel St for history on the north side of the house.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
Museum of Textile History, Lowell, MA
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot # 67
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
See Map 2177 - Dec. 1949 - Turner sub-division of house and property
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 17th parcel
Phillip & Elizabeth B. Churchill - Mar. 30, 1937 - b. 606 p. 456
N. Lewis & Mary Alice Demara, Jr. - May 27, 1946 - b. 685 p. 25
James & Mary C. Turner - Nov. 1, 1946 - b. 693 p. 186 - 1/2 interest.
Mary C. Murphy - June 25, 1948 - b. 712 p. 462 - deed trans.
James & Mary C. Turner - June 25, 1948 - b. 712 p. 463
Ruth C. Tomlinson - March 20, 1950 - b. 732 p. 253 - deed trans.
Mary C. Turner - March 20, 1950 - b. 732 p. 254
George T. & Phylis Katter - Jan. 27, 1956 - b. 828 p. 194
Mary T. Manzi - Aug. 2, 1959 - b. 859 p. 90
Theresa Amore - Aug. 2, 1959 - b. 1083 p. 423
Peter M. & Donna J. Hadley - June 16, 1969 - b. 1133 p. 129
Bruce C. & Jane T. Russell - Nov. 18, 1977 - b. 1325 p. 331
Marsha A. Morgan - Nov. 12, 1980 - b. 1468 p. 228
Virginia Maxwell - Dec. 1, 1983 - b. 1752 p. 215
Diane Arsenault - Feb. 10, 1988 - b. 2677 p. 65
John P. Hall II - June 27, 1988 - b. 2957 p. 100
John P. & Nancy M. Hall, II - Feb. 12, 1997 - b. 4692 p. 60
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Phillip & Elizabeth Churchill House|
|Present Use||residence - 2 family|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||James E. Allen - Architect, Lawrence, MA|
|Roof||slate - gambrel|
|Major Alterations||Sub-divided in Dec. 1949 from 1 Arundel St.|
|Map and parcel||36-83|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/12/2015|