Queen Anne style
This impressive Queen Anne style home was built for Dr. Cyrus W. Scott a physician and surgeon in town. The property was once land of Amos Blanchard in 1818 who built his home at 97 Main Street and is now the home of the Andover Historical Society. The lot was sold to Cyrus Scott on November 17, 1894 for $3500 by the heirs of the Edward Taylor estate of 97 Main St.
Andover Townsman on April 30, 1897 p1: Architect Allen of Lawrence has completed plans for and $8000 residence for Dr. C. W. Scott. It will be erected on his lot on Main Street, between W. H. Gile’s and Dr. Merrill’s. May 21, 1897 p1 AT - Searles of Lawrence, has been awarded the contract to build Dr. Scott’s new residence on Main Street. W. H. Welch & Co. have the plumbing contract for C.W. Scott’s new residence on Main Street. May 28, 1897 AT - Work has begun on the cellar for Dr. Scott’s new residence on Main Street. July 16, 1897 AT p2. Work on Dr. Scott’s new house on Main Street is progressing rapidly. The plumbing is being put in by William H. Welch.
Dr. Scott was living across the street at #90 Main St. in 1897 where he conducted his practice in the rented residence. In 1899 his new home is listed as 87 Main St. then changed to 89 Main St. in 1901. The house served as residence and office for his practice.
Cyrus Wallace Scott was born April 29, 1856 in Clover, VT., son of Wilbur & Ann L. (Moulton) Scott. As a young man Cyrus worked in a cotton mill in Manchester, NH. He married on March 8, 1878 in Vermont to Cora W. Dow b. Jan. 10, 1859 in Lyman, NH, daughter of Webster M. & Priscilla (Chamberlin) Dow. They were married by Rev. H.W. Scott. The couple lived at 31 Market St. in Manchester in 1880. Cyrus later entered the Hahnemann College of Homeopathy in NY and became a physician. He was noted as one of the best known homeopathy practitioners in the East. He moved to Andover, MA and began his practice here about 1885. They had one son George Wallace Scott born September 28, 1888 in Andover. Sadly his wife Cora died. AT June 13, 1890 pg. 4 – Cora E. wife of Dr. C. W. Scott died yesterday morning at her home on Main St. after a long illness. She was 31 years old and was born in Lyman, NH. Funeral, to-morrow 2 pm and internment in Spring Grove. On January 15, 1891 the Andover Townsman p.1 reports; Dr. C. W. Scott married Lizzie P. Field of So. Newmarket, NH, Thursday at the bride’s home. Dr. Scott’s second marriage was also a short one as he remarries in 1897.
December 24, 1897 AT - Dr. D. W. Scott and Lilla J. Manson daughter of Mr. & Mrs. F.W. Manson of Newton Highlands, were married Wed. Dec. 15.....
Dr. Scott retired and leased the house for two years, with an option to buy, to Harriet A. Wheeler on May 17, 1923 for $1392. per year. The asking price on the property was $18,000. Dr. Scott sells the property to William T. Ledwell of Chicago, IL on Oct. 24, 1924. Scott reserves the right for Harriet A. Wheeler to occupy the home until May 1, 1925. Scott also holds the mortgage to Mr. Ledwell for $15,000. In August 1932 Dr. Scott, now living in Florida, assigns the mortgage to the Boston Safe Deposit & Trust Co.
In the midst of the Great Depression William Ledwell was unable to meet the commitment on the loan and the property was foreclosed on in April 1936.
On May 2, 1936 Dr. Nathaniel & Anna Marie Stowers purchase the property and Dr. Stowers, a dentist, moves over from across the street where he had his practice at 84 Main Street from 1930 – 1936. Dr. Stowers died in 1952? intestate and the property deed is conveyed to his wife Anna M Stowers on November 14, 1952.
Anna Stowers sold to C. Lincoln & E. Janice Giles on August 29, 1961. Lincoln Giles was an architect and developer responsible for converting several properties in town to multi-use income buildings for businesses and rental for residents. Today we would consider his approach as adaptive reuse with a contemporary Colonial Revival style. Giles combined the former Scott home with the adjoining Hulme property at #93 to create the “Old Andover Village” shopping complex in 1963. The main bodies of the two houses were incorporated into the new complex. Several exterior and interior features were included in the store designs and second floor apartments. The former formal Scott entrance was moved to the north side of the house to become the entrance to the former Yankee Lady Dress shop. The roof lines are still visible above the street facade as are original chimneys and side walls as you stroll through the center courtyard. The deed transfers of both properties at #93 & # 89, to C. Lincoln Giles occurred on the same day.
The Scott carriage barn to rear of the property was the home of the Andover Book Store until 2017, the only tenant to occupy the space since the conversion. The book store structure was razed in December 2018 for a new barn like structure that will house a new steakhouse restaurant.
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds, Lawrence MA.
Essex Registry of Deeds, Salem, MA
Andover Historical Society Archives
Andover Resident Street Directories
Andover Evaluation Reports; 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900, 1910, 1920.
Andover Town Maps, 1852, 1855, 1872, 1888, 1896 Sanborn Map, 1906.
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman, Lawrence Eagle Tribune newspapers.
Andover Theological Seminary General Catalogue 1808-1908
Historical Manual of South Church Andover – 1859
Historical Sketches of Andover 1880
Federal Census Records.
Andover Preservation Commission - December 2010, revised July 2013.
South Parish Church Ministerial Fund
David Holt Jr. - Mar. 31, 1818 - b. 218 leaf 293 Essex Deeds, Salem
Amos Blanchard - Mar. 31, 1818 - b. 218 leaf 293 Mtg.
Amos Blanchard - Dec. 9, 1818 - b. 218 leaf 294 – 295
Elizabeth Blanchard - 1847 by Probate Will
Rev. Amos Blanchard Jr. - 1849 - by Probate Will
Edward Taylor - Mar. 5, 1849 - b. 408 leaf 192-194
Edward Taylor Estate - died May 23, 1893
Oliver B. Taylor - Executor - June 12, 1893 -probate court
Adelaide & Dr. Selah Merrill - April 24, 1894 - b. 133 p. 125 estate
Cyrus W. Scott - Nov. 17, 1894 - b. 139 p. 257 lot of land
Harriet A. Wheeler - May 17, 1923 - b. 477 p. 102 lease two years
William T. Ledwell - Oct. 23, 1924 - b. 505 p. 154
Boston Safe Deposit & Trust Co. - Aug. 15, 1932 - b. 597 p. 76 mortgage
Boston Safe Deposit & Trust Co. -Apr. 11, 1936 - b. 598 p. 10 possession
Nathaniel & Anna Marie Stowers - May 2, 1936 - b. 598 p. 12
Anna Marie Stowers - Nov. 14, 1952 - Estate – intestate N. Stowers
C. Lincoln & E. Janice Giles - Aug. 29, 1961 - b. 943 p. 171
Phillip Strome – C.L. & J. E. Giles - June 30, 1971 - Receiver
Peter Onanian - June 30, 1971 - b. 1174 p. 144
OAV Realty Trust – Peter Onanian Mar. 31, 1995 - b. 4233 p. 129
Avision Young – Barry Finegold, Scott Jameson & John Fenton - Aug. 2011
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Dr. Cyrus W. Scott|
|Original Use||residence & office|
|Architectural Style||Georgian Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Architect Allen of Lawrence|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||former carriage house & barn now Andover Book Store|
|Major Alterations||1963 - Home was engulfed into retail space of Old Andover Village development.|
|Map and parcel||55-125|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||March 13, 2014|