The building to the rear of the Old Andover Village was once the Carriage barn for the Cyrus Scott home at 89 Main Street, now incorporated into the current retail building. At lean-to addition was added to the barn by Lincoln Giles at the time of conversion. The Andover Book Store then moved into the space from 58 Main St. in 1963. The book store was the longest tenant in the complex of 54 years prior to moving across the street to 76 Main in 2017. The former carriage house was razed in 2018 and a new barn like structure, a nod to the past building, built to house a new restaurant called Smyth & Dove.
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds, Lawrence MA.
Essex Registry of Deeds, Salem, MA
Andover Historical Society Archives
Andover Resident Street Directories
Andover Evaluation Reports; 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900, 1910, 1920.
Andover Town Maps, 1852, 1855, 1872, 1888, 1896 Sanborn Map, 1906.
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman, Lawrence Eagle Tribune newspapers.
Andover Theological Seminary General Catalogue 1808-1908
Historical Manual of South Church Andover – 1859
Historical Sketches of Andover 1880
Amos Blanchard land - 1818
Edward Taylor land - 1849
Edward Taylor Estate - 1893
Oliver B. Taylor - Executor - June 12, 1893
Cyrus W. Scott - Nov. 17, 1894 - b. 139 p. 257 lot of land
Harriet A. Wheeler - May 17, 1923 - b. 477 p. 102 lease two years
William T. Ledwell - Oct. 23, 1924 - b. 505 p. 154
Boston Safe Deposit & Trust Co. - Aug. 15, 1932 - b. 597 p. 76 mortgage deed
Boston Safe Deposit & Trust Co - Apr. 11, 1936 - b. 598 p. 10 possession
Nathaniel & Anna Marie Stowers - May 2, 1936 - b. 598 p. 12
Anna Marie Stowers - Nov. 14, 1952 - Estate – intestate N. Stowers
C. Lincoln & E. Janice Giles - Aug. 29, 1961 - b. 943 p. 171
Phillip Strome – C.L. & J. E. Giles - June 30, 1971 - Receiver
Peter Onanian - June 30, 1971 - b. 1174 p. 144
OAV Realty Trust – Peter Onanian Mar. 31, 1995 - b. 4233 p. 129
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Present Use||Andover Bookstore|
|Original Use||Carriage house/barn|
|Architect/Builder||Architect Allen of Lawrence|
|Map and parcel||55-125|
|Recorded by||Brian Lee (cwo)|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society|
|Date entered||July 1992|