Probably built by Moses Clement and George Abbot, Andover's leading contractors - builders of period
The property was sold by Samuel H. Merrill in April 1866 to Elizabeth K. Downs. The property came with a deed restriction "no shops or buildings erected ..that would be prejudicial to the neighborhood of good dwelling houses"
Elizabeth Downs owned the property for 15 years then selling to Hannah L. Blake in Nov. 1881. Hannah held the property for 25 years then sold to Anne Ward Bartlett, wife of Nathaniel E. Bartlett in 1906. This was income property for Bartlett who lived on Central St.
Anne sold to Charles L. & Mary Jeanette Tilton of Haverhill, MA as joint tenants on July 18, 1912. The couple separated in 1915 and Mary Jeannette Tilton was deeded the Andover property and her husband lived in Haverhill.
In 1916 Edith McKeen Cutler, wife of Howard A. Cutler purchased the house and they lived here until 1936 when it was sold to the Trustees of Abbot Academy. The Academy used the house for faculty housing and dormitory rooms. With the merger of Abbot and Phillips Academies in 1973 all the holding were transferred at that time to the Trustees of Phillips Academy.
After three years the Academy sold the property to Michael W. & Mary Joan M. Morris in 1976. The Morris family continue as owners in 2014.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Samuel H. Merrill - 1866
Elizabeth K. Downs, wife of Joseph, Apr. 27, 1866 - b. 702 leaf 251 - Salem deeds
Hannah L. Blake - Nov. 14, 1881 - b. 66 p. 431
Anne Ward Bartlett, wife of Nathaniel E., Aug. 28, 1906 - b. 236 p. 385
Charles L. & Mary J. Tilton - July 18, 1912 - b. 319 p. 411
James J. Ronan - July 23, 1915 - b. 355 p. 14 transfer
Mary Jeanette Tilton - July 23, 1915 - b. 355 p. 15
Charles L. Tilton - July 23, 1915 - b. 355 p. 16 Separation agreement
Mary Jeanette Tilton - July 23, 1915 - b. 355 p. 16
Edith McKeen Cutler - Dec. 26, 1916 - b. 372 p. 534
Howard A. & Edith M. Cutler -
Trustees of Abbott Academy - June 10, 1936 - b. 598 p. 422
Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 30, 1973 - b. 1222 p. 85
Michael W. & Mary J. M. Morris - Nov. 17, 1976 - b. 1296 p. 384
Michael W. & Mary J. M. Morris - Mar. 18, 1993 - Inst. #7721
Mary Joan Morris - Mar. 24, 1993 - b. 3684 p. 329
Mary Joan M. & Michael W. Morris - Aug. 19, 2008 - b. 11288 p. 42
Mary Joan Realty Trust - Oct. 4, 2013 - b. 13658 p. 89
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Elizabeth Downs House|
|Construction Date||1850's - 1860's|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||74-10|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 6/2014|