Colonial Revival - Federal style
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were J. Augustus & Sarah C. Remington. Augustus was a clerk with the American Woolen Company. In 1930 the home was leased to Arthur & Helen R. Jackson. Arthur was the manager of S. K. Ames Inc.
This house was sold to Harold G. & Thelma F. Bowen on May 3, 1937. Harold was a Public Accountant. The Bowen family owned the home for 45 years. Harold Bowen died on Oct. 7, 1967 and his wife Thelma continued to reside in the home another 15 years. Thelma sold to John C. Sullivan & Molly S. Mugler on July 15, 1982.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot # 46
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 15th parcel
Harold G. & Thelma F. Bowen - May 3, 1937 - b. 606 p. 321
Harold G. Bowen estate, Thelma F. Bowen heir - Oct. 7, 1967
John C. Sullivan & Molly S. Mugler - July 15, 1982 - b. 1590 p. 337
Robert G. Trakimas - Dec. 6, 1983 - b. 1774 p. 122 - deed change
John C. Sullivan & Molly S. Mugler - Dec. 6, 1983 - b. 1774 p. 123
William & Sharyn S. Weidlein - Apr. 3, 1985 - b. 1958 p. 189
Philip W. Kuhn - Oct. 13, 1989 - b. 3011 p. 207
William S. & Kathleen J. Durland III - Jan. 17, 1992 - b. 3381 p. 263
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Harold & Thelma Bowen House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Map and parcel||36-58|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/9/2015|